Approved Member

Re: Repro belts

Post by Peakey »

rcnj wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:46 am
Alex B wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:05 pm I've just counted

ZC 651 870c and works front belt 169 tooth

ZC 652 later YZ10 and Pavidis front belt 170 tooth

ZC 656 all models is 64 tooth

I've have found a supplier that seems to offer a 65 tooth and 170 and 167, but not a 64 or 170
Unfortunately, the count above for the Yokomo ZC-651 front belt for the 870C / YZ-10 is wrong! The ZC-651 belt has 168 teeth.

I am positive because I just got a new, old stock ZC-651 and counted the teeth. Also I have both 167 and 169 tooth belts and can report the same results others have discovered. The 167 belt is too tight, totally unusable in my opinion, and the 169 belt is too loose, making it difficult to tension sufficiently without both sides of the belt touching.

I think it is important to correct this mistake, which is sitting here on the Internet sounding very authoritative.

I bought some Tough Racing repro belts, which appear to be very nice, but they were also under the impression (perhaps from this post?) that ZC-651 is 169 teeth. They have been very responsive and helpful in resolving the issue, but it is currently unclear if they can make a 168 tooth belt.

Brian
I think I might have 168 belts I'll need to check for you

eco8gator
Approved Member

Post by eco8gator »

I use 192-3M-04 Rubber Timing Belt, 64 Tooth for the rear of my 94 yz10 with a 10.5t brushless setup. I loosened the tension link and run 2 bearing (upper and lower) to maintain good contact with the small pulley.

From

www.polybelt.com

Very strong, inexpensive and available.

rcnj
Approved Member

Post by rcnj »

eco8gator wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:40 am I use 192-3M-04 Rubber Timing Belt, 64 Tooth for the rear of my 94 yz10 with a 10.5t brushless setup. I loosened the tension link and run 2 bearing (upper and lower) to maintain good contact with the small pulley.

From

www.polybelt.com

Very strong, inexpensive and available.
So you're using a 4mm wide, 192-tooth front belt for a YZ-10? I don't understand how that works.

My car needs a 168-tooth belt, 4mm wide, and no one else is counting more than 170 teeth for any YZ-10 belt.

Is your car modified to accommodate that front belt?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

192 is the length in mm. Its a 64t belt
192-3M-04 Neoprene Black Rubber Timing Belt with Fiber Glass Cord,Round Tooth 3mm Pitch, 4mm Wide, 192mm Long, 64 Tooth
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

rcnj
Approved Member

Post by rcnj »

GoMachV wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:57 pm 192 is the length in mm. Its a 64t belt
192-3M-04 Neoprene Black Rubber Timing Belt with Fiber Glass Cord,Round Tooth 3mm Pitch, 4mm Wide, 192mm Long, 64 Tooth
Ah, got it. So the correct front belt for 870C / YZ-10 would be 504mm.

The linked company has 504mm belts indeed, they are at: http://shop.polybelt.com/504-3M-04-Rubber-Timing-Belt-168-Tooth-B504-3M-04BNG.htm

Also I just measured the belts on my car and they are 4mm wide, not 2mm wide, so it all makes sense.

rcnj
Approved Member

Post by rcnj »

Does anyone know a source for kevlar belts like this?

I have a kevlar rear belt that seems nicer than the all-rubber belts. Seems to wear slower and supposedly will not stretch.

eco8gator
Approved Member

Post by eco8gator »

Hello

I haven't dealt with a front belt yet...but I have shredded/snapped a rear kevlar belt. The belts from Korea are very thin, I seriously doubt they are as strong as the rubber poly belts. The polybelt brand belts have a thick spine and have been very reliable for me on the rear when used with a tension bearings. I have no clue how they will act on the front but my guess is they will do fine if you can maintain the tension. Adding a tensioner to the front looks pretty easy anyways if its necessary.

I drive my car 2x a week on a touring car track for about 30min minimum on each run. I also do stupid thing in my house like try to polish the floors doing doughnuts;)

So in my view the belts work and are durable and cheap. Just buy some and try them and let us know:)

rcnj
Approved Member

Post by rcnj »

eco8gator wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:36 pm Hello

I haven't dealt with a front belt yet...but I have shredded/snapped a rear kevlar belt. The belts from Korea are very thin, I seriously doubt they are as strong as the rubber poly belts. The polybelt brand belts have a thick spine and have been very reliable for me on the rear when used with a tension bearings. I have no clue how they will act on the front but my guess is they will do fine if you can maintain the tension. Adding a tensioner to the front looks pretty easy anyways if its necessary.

I drive my car 2x a week on a touring car track for about 30min minimum on each run. I also do stupid thing in my house like try to polish the floors doing doughnuts;)

So in my view the belts work and are durable and cheap. Just buy some and try them and let us know:)

Thank you for all of this information. I am indeed going to order some polybelts!

I also run my recently restored YZ-10, because it is amazing, and I can't resist. Only inside my house so far... the car is so nice and perfect. I am very nervous about crashing. Extremely fast and and handles like a dream. On carpet, I can turn at full speed without flipping, and the turning radius is less than a few feet! It took like six months of work before I could even drive it, and finally it is now even better than I hoped.

I've been running a new old stock Yokomo original front belt, but the rubber looks dried out and it has been sort of slowly disintegrating on the pulleys and tension roller.

I think a fresh belt will be better!

Will report back.

rcnj
Approved Member

Post by rcnj »

eco8gator wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:36 pm Adding a tensioner to the front looks pretty easy anyways if its necessary.
FYI - 870C / YZ-10 comes with a tensioner for the front belt.

eco8gator
Approved Member

Post by eco8gator »

Hello

I only 3x 94 and 1x Pavidis YZ10 and non come stock with tension devices. I I purchased my Pavidis second hand and it was modified to include a bearing mechanism near the small one way pulley which helps improve bent contact and also takes up some slack. It also raises the belt up so I can run a shorty style pack vs a saddle.

My Pavidis is more of a novelty because I dont really have the parts to support though I do play with it from time to time...not enough to comment on how well the tenson mechanism actually works...

I will take a picture at some time an post it for your reference...

Regards and looking fwd to your review of the front belt.

eco8gator
Approved Member

Post by eco8gator »

pic
Attachments
20170605_224331.jpg

rcnj
Approved Member

Post by rcnj »

Tough Racing sent me a new 168-tooth front belt, which they have corrected and are now offering.

Also I got some front and rear Polybelts from NJ USA, which for me arrived the day after I ordered them.

The front Polybelt is definitely better than the old (and dried out) original Yokomo belt. It doesn't look dry and is not disintegrating (and fouling my car) the way the original was.

The Polybelt is 4mm wide, whereas the original was only about 3.5mm. The pulleys and tensioner roller seem to accommodate the extra width just fine, but I wonder if it will have some other effect.

eco8gator
Approved Member

Post by eco8gator »

I've been brutal to the rear poly belt on my 94 YZ10 and it's holding up. I've been hammering on it for months and there seems to be no sign of wear...I am very pleased.

I look fwd to your test results for the front belt.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

eco8gator wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:39 pmpic
That's the concept used on the yr4 and hot-dog to run a stick pack under the belt. They even use a second one further forward to keep the belt level before dropping down to the front diff.