Yokomo Off-Road Car Timeline

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: Yokomo Off-Road Car Timeline

Post by Lonestar »

ha, yes, the Yr-4 OR... I think it also came with another body, didn't it?

Funny how close it is to the hot-dog, conceptually...

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

there's a picture of a stadium truck ( bit corr-like) on the box.

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

q? fellas is the wonder dogfighter or the rps se the model gil losi jr raced in the first 85 ifmar worlds? as far as ive worked out its the wonderdog..added a scan of my instruction sheet in the scans section and thats what is stated.

Dual
Approved Member

Post by Dual »

q? fellas is the wonder dogfighter or the rps se the model gil losi jr raced in the first 85 ifmar worlds? as far as ive worked out its the wonderdog..added a scan of my instruction sheet in the scans section and thats what is stated.
Hey Gary,

Have a look on the first page of this thread as Eau Rouge and Retro RC shead some light on the topic. There are also a few pictures of Gil Losi Jr's actual car from the event. To me it resembles more the YZ-834B and Wonder Dogfighter than the RPS SE version. I am sure someone can confirm this for you.

Vin

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

indeed i have vin. it definatly has a wonderdog body so that will do me

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Hi Guys

I'm a bit new to the different types of Yokomo cars as I only had a older YZ10 back in the day. Anyway, I recently got this fantastic looking Yokomo from a good friend for free. I will try to put up some pictures later. I looks much like the car at the top of this thread http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3217&p=29565#p29565 but it has carbon fiber top deck, shock towers, and red 17mm wheel nuts, hard plastic wing. Can anyone identify my car?

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

thats a 94 yz10 rod :wink:

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

Dual wrote:Hi,

Bellow is a Yokomo Timeline of all the Yokomo Off-Road cars that I am aware of. I have heard of other versions (not listed below) such as the 'Craig Dresher' Version but I cannot personally confirm the release of such models. Maybe there is someone out there that can add to the list I have provided.
If You mean 'Craig Dresher' Version is the one that has grey lower front suspension arms and front shocks that were app. 45-degree angle inwards. I have even once raced with that. The car was not mine.

The front suspension arms were handmade from app. 8mm thick plastic, that was relatively light, much lighter plastic than I have never seen used in suspension arms. The plastic also didn't bend at all.
The C-Hubs were from Kyosho Optima and probably steering blocks also.
I was told that "use only 40Wt oils in front with AE silver front springs, everybody does that". That made the front really stiff. At rear AE green spring with 25-30Wt oil was used. The stiff front with sort arms probably worked very well in UK grass tracks.
The car was really easy to drive and once you got it work You didn't need to change the setup at all, no matter where You ran. Only tyres and motor needed to be changed.

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

Dual wrote:Hi there,

In response to your question 'Would like to know what problem on 2mm fine pitch belts', the 2mm pitch belts as opposed to the 3mm pitch belts were quite tricky to set up. The front and rear belt had to be perfectly tensioned or they would strip very quickly. After every 4-5 minute run, they had to be re-checked and re-tensioned. Most drivers that I knew did not enjoy the extra maintenance involved and I even know of a prominent Australian driver (Reece Birtles) that eventually had to change over to the 3mm pitch belts because he could not get the fine pitch belts to run consistently. A lot of patience and trial and error (no problem for Masami and Lett) was needed to get the fine pitch belts to run properly and to enjoy the benefits of running this system but for most racers, the disadvantages outweighed the advantages of running fine pitch belts in their Yokomo's.

Hope this answers your question.

Vin
The 2mm pitch belts were also problematic when a small stone went between belt and diff. If same size stone went between 3mm pitch belt and diff, the stone was "smaller" compared to belt pitches. This was one thing that we always wondered with Yokomo and other "open drivetrain" cars. How could people drive them in sand without proper protection? We tried that but small stones flew straight between rear diff and belt. Our Yokomos were so well protected that even dust didn't get in. There were small bags around tie rods that eliminated stone (and dust) entry from front and thinnered Yokomo sponge tape between under tray and chassis etc.
If you know, how "good" the standard belt tension adjustment was in Yokomo, there is one reason more why 2mm pitch belts were changed to 3mm. You should bend the chassis and upper brace to change front belt tension. After landing from jump, BANG, and your belt tension was gone.

HotRodJosh
Approved Member

Post by HotRodJosh »

Dual wrote: Late 1987: Yokomo YZ870C Super Dog Fighter
For me the first true competition 4WD car released by Yokomo although I am sure there are others that would disagree (hint: YZ-834B). Set the standard (along with the Schumacher Cat) for the future development of 4WD Competition Racers in terms of belt drive drive train and chassis/battery layout set-up. Not released in the U.S.A.

Hey fellas....just found this thread and thought I'd post up this pic....seems appropriate. :o

A freind sent me this pic from Indonesia back @ 1987, as he had moved there due to his father in the military.....Prototype Yokomo Super Dog Fighter. Racing was a big deal in Indonesia so he always sent a few pics of the latest gear as it was coming out.
I always dug Yokomo cars....had a RPS Yokomo SE in @ '87, which wasn't that great of a car really....haha. Wish I had it now though. 8)

"I've got a fever, and the only prescription.....is more cowbell."
Pinstriping by Josh

obsidian
Approved Member

Post by obsidian »

As per requests ( I want to see it too) on this thread I am organizing box art and pics of cars for the timeline. I hope to have it up in less than a week.

Cheerz

arado-240

Post by arado-240 »

The yokomo YZ843b was released to Australia in 1984, as a sample to Dawn Trading, was a sensation at the Tokyo toy Hobbies fair.
Here is the first Yokomo to arrive in Australia, modded by Craig Bowr?? ,Dennis Beil?? and eventually me in 1986.
craig_yokomo_1984.JPG
craig_yokomo_1984.JPG (22.03 KiB) Viewed 4419 times
craig_yokomo_1984.JPG
craig_yokomo_1984.JPG (22.03 KiB) Viewed 4419 times
Started modified yokomo yz843b topic > http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=11544&p=109812#p109812

See past yokomos and other worlds cars from this historic site.. AWSOME..

http://www.geocities.jp/giequip/RC.OLD.Gallery.html

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Hello Arado-240.
Mate thats some very cool stuff you have there and a super modded 834 too. Very impressive! Where are you based at in Australia? Im on the Gold Coast soon to move closer to Sydney. Cheers-Jason.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

welcome! I love the home-made improvements and the paintscheme on that red car in the back looks super.

arado-240

Post by arado-240 »

Ed,

Yokomo's rule