Yokomo Off-Road Car Timeline

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Re: Yokomo Off-Road Car Timeline

Post by Mr. ED »

mrlexan wrote:Also, I can't remember who is was, but someone asked me about a post I made long ago about the rarest Yokomo every made... this was the one I was referring to: November 1993: Yokomo World Championship Special (W.C.S.). I have seen one on an auction site in Japan, thought I saved the pics, but it appears I did not. I can't remember the details, but I want to say it was like $5000 USD or something crazy like that.
I was just using this tread to identify my latest acquisition:
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3217&p=29565#p29565

Am I really the dumb-ass lucky bastard I think I am?
I sure didn't pay anything near 5000$ and planned to actually drive this one in standard competition.
I didn't receive it yet, but some of the items visible do seem to correspond with the below description.

November 1993: Yokomo World Championship Special (W.C.S.)
An EXACT replica (right down to the titanium and aluminium hardware) of the car Masami Hirosaka used to win the 1993 IFMAR World Championships. A real departure from the earlier Works '91/'93 models and famously sported the white G.R.P. shock towers and upper deck. First Yokomo to sport a true carbon fibre chassis (as opposed to graphite) and did not use the Magnesium/Aluminium front bulkhead as on previous models instead had a new design nylon front bulkhead. New design chunky front and rear arms and front upper link. Also included the troublesome 2mm fine pitch belts because that is what Masami had on his car. This model had to be reserved/special ordered (deposit put down in full) and it was only ever released in very small numbers. Definately one of the rarest and most sought after Yokomo's ever produced.

Dual
Approved Member

Post by Dual »

Hi Ed,

The Yokomo you purchased is a 1994 Yokomo YZ10 Super Dogfighter, not the World Championship Special. This model was released after the 1993 W.C.S. and is a little different in design and specification. See bellow-

Early 1994: Yokomo YZ10 Super Dog Fighter
For the majority of people that missed out or could not afford the World Championship Special, Yokomo released the YZ10. Quite similar in design the W.C.S. but a lot of 'special' parts were ommited to save costs and make the YZ10 more user friendly compared to the one-off W.C.S. Like the W.C.S., the YZ10 was a completely different in design to the earlier Works models and this made it very popular in the mid 1990's as it was a very durable car. At one point the majority of racers (pro through to novice) used only this car.

A great car none the less. Will you be running it against the cars of today (BJ4/B44, Lazer ZX5, Losi XXX4 etc.)? If so, it would be interesting to see how it holds up.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Dual wrote:Hi Ed,

The Yokomo you purchased is a 1994 Yokomo YZ10 Super Dogfighter, not the World Championship Special. This model was released after the 1993 W.C.S. and is a little different in design and specification. See bellow-
A great car none the less. Will you be running it against the cars of today (BJ4/B44, Lazer ZX5, Losi XXX4 etc.)? If so, it would be interesting to see how it holds up.

:P Cool!
That means I can run it, and I get the 3mm belt also I hope?

I'm not too sure what it will come up against and how regular it will get run.
I already had 3 vintage cars ready to run offroad competition, 1 ED-edition Ultima for each class: a stadium truck, a 2wd buggy and a 4wd buggy. But none have been in races in Japan sofar: couldn't find a good club with regular race schedule yet in a reasonable radius.

After almost 20 years in the hobby I don't carry much hope anymore on becoming a good driver, so I kinda like sticking to low-spec moters which match my 'skills'. But with the little offer I wanted to get something for other race types also.
The YR-4 I picked up recently being such a great car is what made me pick this one I guess.

So for spec or vintage races, I'll grab one of the Ultimas, but if such class is not available, this Yokie will be my 'new' weapon of choice. And since it doesn't fit the 89 max rule, I'll be free to mod it and replace any broken parts with (made) fitting contemporary stuff :mrgreen: (ducking for cover)

minichamps11
Approved Member

Post by minichamps11 »

Any news on the photo updates to go with Dual's timeline? I'm restoring a few Yoke's and some new built piccies would be a great reference aid. Anyone help?

bscotti
Approved Member

Post by bscotti »

what particular models are you interested in seeing? I may be able to help as well.
Classics rule, moderns drool

minichamps11
Approved Member

Post by minichamps11 »

Hi bscotti,

I'm after good, close-up photos of original spec cars in the '93/94/95 series, especially the Pavidis edition. I'm restoring a few cars from this era and most of them are mongrels. I was mainly into Schumachers at the time the YZ-10's were raced (as you might be able to tell :) ) and the whole Yokomo thing missed me in the '90's. Now I've got the Yoke bug & this website has been a blessing!

bscotti
Approved Member

Post by bscotti »

let me know the particulars you'd like to see on those models. I don't have a '93 (yet) but do have complete, stock 94s and Pavidis editions.

Here's a few of my Pavidis ... http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3660&p=34197&hilit=pavidis#p34197
and Asso-man's ... http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2580&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=pavidis&start=30

The Yoke bug is a tough one to shake once you catch it!

Brian

minichamps11
Approved Member

Post by minichamps11 »

Hi Brian (and anyone else that can help)

The Pavidis came with no slipper and a white Associated spur gear, is that right? If so does anyone have a photo of the part on the layshaft the spur screws to? Also can I still buy Associated white spur gears new from anywhere?

Many thanks,

Ian

bscotti
Approved Member

Post by bscotti »

You are correct, the Pavidis did not include the slipper assembly (TCS in Yokomo-speak). I believe the part you're looking for is ZR-641M: Direct Main Gear Adapter and it still is available from Yokomo USA! I'll see if I have one this weekend and post a picture.

minichamps11
Approved Member

Post by minichamps11 »

Cheers Brian. Any idea of the spur gear part number?

bscotti
Approved Member

Post by bscotti »

The Yokomo Option Tuning Parts manual I have does not list spur gear part numbers. ZC-641G is listed as the YZ10 part number for the Main Gear Adapter, but the ZR-641M is equivalent (I believe it's a YR4 and up part which is interchangable).

phoenix
Approved Member

Post by phoenix »

bscotti wrote:The Yokomo Option Tuning Parts manual I have does not list spur gear part numbers. ZC-641G is listed as the YZ10 part number for the Main Gear Adapter, but the ZR-641M is equivalent (I believe it's a YR4 and up part which is interchangable).
I'd also assume they are quiten identical, i got tons of them with lots of different part numbers, there are also hard versions existing etc...

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

I am going to take a drive this weekend... About 8 miles west of me is the original location of the RPS (Ranch Pit Shop) including the site of the 1/8, then 1/10 tracks. The building still stands... I will snap a photo or 2. And there is an address for Team Losi (divisional, from another company now) Just 3/4 of a mile south of me, just over the freeway. I'll check that address out too! Losi Factory driver "Gary Kyes" was the father of a friend in HS that I played football with. Ed, I remember the 85 date on my yellow SE box as well.... If I had known all this collecting was going on, I would have taken better care of my SE.

Eccentric
Approved Member

Post by Eccentric »

fordtransman wrote:I am going to take a drive this weekend... About 8 miles west of me is the original location of the RPS (Ranch Pit Shop) including the site of the 1/8, then 1/10 tracks. The building still stands... I will snap a photo or 2. And there is an address for Team Losi (divisional, from another company now) Just 3/4 of a mile south of me, just over the freeway. I'll check that address out too! Losi Factory driver "Gary Kyes" was the father of a friend in HS that I played football with.

Looking forward to the pics!

Ed, I remember the 85 date on my yellow SE box as well.... If I had known all this collecting was going on, I would have taken better care of my SE.
I remember that too. I still have my SE, but recently lost the box (Dad cleaned out his shop where some of my old 'junk' was...). Wish I'd taken better care of the box. I used to take stuff to/from the track with it. :roll:
Eccentric
When did my hobbies become "Old" and "Vintage"???

-RPS Yokomo SE. Novak T4. Revolution stock. Hot Trick dual front shock setup.
-Kyosho Circuit-10 Wildcat Buggy
-Kyosho Nimitz-06. Now that's obscure!
-Marui Big Bear

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

You guys have missed something:
I just found this picture today: the YR-4 Off-Road Edition!
yr-4 offroad edition-options.jpg
Note the english text in the top pf the picture.
yr-4 offroad edition.jpg
The original selling price was roughly 26000 yen when it was released, roughly 260$ (though that's not counting for the recent exchange rate changes)