1994 Yokomo YZ-10 Box Stock Restoration

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Toaster
Approved Member

1994 Yokomo YZ-10 Box Stock Restoration

Post by Toaster »

First I want to start off with a thanks to all the forum members who have put up and are about to put up with :lol: a number of questions regarding this restoration project. Forum member 59Burst was kind enough to sell me this car and shipped it all the way from Korea, many thanks sir, couldn't have asked for a better transaction. OK enough talk, on with the build!

Firstly I am attempting to restore to bone stock a 1994 YZ-10 (non-WCS) Yokomo which is perfectly described in Duals timeline above as:

[quote]Early 1994: Yokomo YZ10 Super Dog Fighter
For the majority of people that missed out or could not afford the World Championship Special, Yokomo released the YZ10. Quite similar in design to the W.C.S. but a lot of 'special' parts were ommited to save costs and make the YZ10 more user friendly compared to the one-off W.C.S. Like the W.C.S., the YZ10 was a completely different in design to the earlier Works models and this made it very popular in the mid 1990's as it was a very durable car. At one point the majority of racers (pro through to novice) used only this car.[/quote]

The original box for the car looked like this:

and the car itself looked very similar to this:

How can you tell that you haven't stumbled across the super rare 93' WCS edition? compare the rear shock towers (the 93' WCS has two vertical oval shaped holes, different front and rear arms as well as additional cut outs on the rear of the chassis along with a slipper TCS I believe etc.)
I come for the RC10's but stay for the Yokomo's :P

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

Toaster
Approved Member

Re: 1994 Yokomo YZ-10 Box Stock Restoration

Post by Toaster »

So I managed to get ahold of two previously loved versions in varied conditions and started with the exciting task of tearing them down to complete one decent car:
Attachments
yok pair 1.JPG
yok teardown 1.jpg

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

During the tear down I noticed that the arms didn't quite look right, does anyone know if these are correct? I believe them to be Pavidis or later era arms but wasn't 100% sure if they also came with some versions of the 1994 car?
Attachments
yok teardown 2.JPG
pav arms 94.JPG

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

and I guess when dealing with vintage 'nature of the hobby' lol cars you invariably run into unfortunate issues like this, thankfully the other chassis was in more serviceable shape:
Attachments
doh.JPG
doh.JPG (40.11 KiB) Viewed 7769 times
doh.JPG
doh.JPG (40.11 KiB) Viewed 7769 times

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

Finally managed to get them completely torn down before it was too late into the evening and start tomorrow with the cleaning, determining which parts are in the best shape and heading to ebay to do some shopping :D

Question for anyone reading this, does anyone have a source for screws? I am especially looking for those hex shaped kingpin like screws for the front and rear shock towers, going to research the part number tonight but if anyone can shed light on the best places to source them it would be super appreciated. Going to attempt to replace the vast majority of the screws due to rust, discoulouration and general scuff/wear and suspect this might be one of the more difficult parts of this rebuild.
Attachments
yok teardown 3.JPG

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

I think you have a very promising rebuild here. I'm sure with the two cars you got there you can at least get a very good runner.

The car on the left looks more like stock compared to the car on the right (alternative top deck, suzuki hubs, aftermarket turnbuckles ?rpm)

I think the rear arms aren't stock. These ones seem to thin out a bit more if you know what I'm talking about. The stock arms are certainly wider and "beefier". I've never heard of yz10 '94 arms breaking!

Maybe you should grab these while you can:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Yokomo-rear-lower-arm-YZ-10-NIP-PN-ZD-407-/271211888643?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item3f257d0003

The rear chassis end can be fixed with epoxy.

Here is a screw list that I compiled for my yz10 '94 rebuilds.

Fh 3x8: 6+4+4+1
Bh 3x10: 4
Bh 3x20: 1+2
Bh 3x8: 4+2+2+4+5+2+2
Fh 3x30: 2
Bh 3x12: 2
Bh 3x18: 1,4
Bh 3x6: 2+16+1
Bh 3x16: 4
Fh 3x35: 2

BH - button head; FH- flathead.

Please cross-reference with the yz10 '94 manual. Note that some of the screw lengths in that list are a few mm longer or shorter as actual lengths from the supplier I used were not available. Having said that, I have 2 complete yz10 '94 builds and didn't encounter any problems (e.g. damaged threads etc.)

I live in the UK so got my screws cheaply from here:

http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk

This does not include the"gold screws" for the chassis. These can still be bought and are identical to RC10 goldpan ones:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC10-Gold-Aluminum-Flat-Head-Screws-8-32-x-1-2-16-RC10T-RC10GT-RC10DS-/251195603246?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item3a7c6cb92e

For the clean up I use googone and meths.

The mag motor mount can be scrubbed down with wet and dry and then polished. Alternatively, try bead blasting if you have facilities closeby.

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

Toaster wrote: I am especially looking for those hex shaped kingpin like screws for the front and rear shock towers
I believe the part number you want is ZC-414A, it might also have been released under other part numbers for different models.

This is all very interesting!

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

Thank you both for the input, cant thank you enough. Given my location I might be using your source for screws afterall so definitely appreciate the link. Purchased the Associated gold screws as well as those arms (although I had to convince myself they were worth it given the asking price yikes!) Quick question, I assume regular steel screws are what originally came with the kit?

For those referring to this thread for their own rebuild, here is a copy of the original manual, check under 'YZ-10':

http://www.competitionx.com/rc-manuals/cars-and-trucks-t-z/yokomo-manuals/

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

One major stumbling block was averted today when the pictured below came in the mail. Pretty happy and can't wait to start the rebuild. Expect to see a little more this weekend given that we have a holiday Monday up here in Canada :D
Attachments
ZC-414A King Pin Set
ZC-414A King Pin Set

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Watching this thread with anticipation :D You can't beat a nice 94' 8)

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

Well although it doesn't look like all that much was completed, promise you guys that I have some nice blisters to prove it lol. Took an SOS pad to what you can see and scrubbed a decade or so of dirt, grime and oxidization off and was pretty happy with the results. With all used parts there are some imperfections but nothing you can see from a couple feet away :mrgreen:

Definitely going to shoot them with clear sometime this week but thought I would at least show the progress and post a little bit of an update.

Currently in discussions with http://www.rcscrewz.com about having a set of screws shipped up to me and looks to be about $27USD not including shipping. There was one type they didn't have but will post more tomorrow when I can find the email.
Attachments
Felt like more lol
Felt like more lol
Some Yokomo bling
Some Yokomo bling

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

I think yokomo screws were actually made from hard cheese.

I used the comp x manual too although the fine print is difficult to make out.

Toaster wrote:Thank you both for the input, cant thank you enough. Given my location I might be using your source for screws afterall so definitely appreciate the link. Purchased the Associated gold screws as well as those arms (although I had to convince myself they were worth it given the asking price yikes!) Quick question, I assume regular steel screws are what originally came with the kit?

For those referring to this thread for their own rebuild, here is a copy of the original manual, check under 'YZ-10':

http://www.competitionx.com/rc-manuals/cars-and-trucks-t-z/yokomo-manuals/

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Agreed, Yokomo screws are like that foil covered chocolate lol, avoid. I got all my hardware via Ebay, some nice stuff too, hard, in a nice Ti shade, just measured them all and ordered them in pack qtys as i knew id always use them. Looking forward to this taking shape now, be great to get some of these dogs together for a session.

lee

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

Sorry for the lack of update guys, beer and girlie got in the way, not necessarily in that order :lol:

Felt like x-mass today (or another special holiday day for those who do not celebrate it etc. etc.) as my order from Keith over at RCScrewz finally came in, so far so good. Had pretty much everything I needed and shipping was quick and as expected price wise.

Hopefully this provided me with the necessary motivation to put the beer down (or is that girlie down? :P) and get back to scrubbing dirty 20 year old R/C parts in my kitchen sink. :D
Attachments
screwz.JPG

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Will RC Screwz start offering this as a set for the YZ10?