Hey... I think I know the guy you got that from
USAF Retired
870C, Works 91, YR4-M2 Pro, RC10 Graphite, RC10 Carbon fiber tub
Old Skool RC10 Gold pan, RC10DS, Traxxas REVO

Toaster
Approved Member

Re: 1994 Yokomo YZ-10 Box Stock Restoration

Post by Toaster »

Well I definitely appreciate him selling it, one of those potentially annoying pieces that could be hard to track down and I dont want to attempt to make one :lol:
Attachments
photo1.JPG
I come for the RC10's but stay for the Yokomo's :P

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

Finally managed to sneak away some time during the holidays to mount some of the white bits and am pretty happy with how it all turned out. Definitely not a complete shelf queen but looks pretty darn good from a foot or two away :mrgreen:
Attachments
whitebits1.JPG
whitebits2.JPG

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Hey great build mate looking pretty good! I cant wait to get my hands on one of those baby's!

Out of interest and maybe something worth giving a try. From what i have read on this site when it comes to cleaning magnesium parts i think i have found a much easier way then what has been suggested so far(i do stress 'i think' as i have no where near the experience of most of the people on this site).

Its definately alot quicker and less hard work and from the results i have had the parts seem to come up pretty good. Instead of wet and dry or bead blasting, if you have a Dremel try getting a soft wire brush attachment and going over the old magnesium parts with that. Cleans it up a treat and polishes it at the same time! Takes me about 30 min of not very hard work to get a motor mount sparkling. Also you can use it for any magnesium parts. I also polished up some old 870c alloy shocks and they came out like new. I was amazed.

I will post some pics ( prolly under a different thread if your interested?)

Anyway thought i would share this and its probably not the place to ramble on about it either so i apologise if i am going off track or in the wrong forum.

Cant wait to see the rest of your car as your doing a fantastic job so far! Great work.

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

Wow that definitely sounds a heck of a lot easier than scrubbing it for half an hour with an SOS pad like I did :lol: I will definitely give that a try and yes if you have some Yokomo related examples by all means do not hesitate to post them here.

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

Managed to make a little more headway with respect to the front suspension, assembling the hubs, axls etc. and finally getting those 3mm rubber o rings in the mail so I could finish mounting the king pins on the front shock tower. Getting so close I can almost taste it lol.
Attachments
front hubs 1.JPG
assembled 1.JPG
parts 1.JPG
final 1.JPG

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Lookin good!

Ok will post some pics when i get back from hols...so sit tight! I will show you what attachments i use. Doesnt seem to take off any of the magnesium just the gunk. If its feally pitted ofcourse there isnt much you can do unless you want to take layer of mag off. Also i am careful around the bearing seats etc i dont go too hard.

Give me a week or so and i will put some pics up. They will be straight from the dremel and without any extra polishing which i am sure you can do with a standard mag polish like the old days. Anyway they do shine like they did in the manual.

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Hey how do you upload pics here?? I had a whole story and went to add a pic and lost everything?? Got a coupla pics of the motor mount etc.

Thnaks

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

Well another hard to find part that I finally gave up on locating (without having to buy an entire spare car for them) were the original Yokomo the wing buttons. The diamond shape kimborough's weren't really what I was looking for but I came across these BRP wing buttons that are at least the same shape :lol:
Attachments
wingbutton.JPG

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Hey mate here is an example of the dremel at work to clean up your magnesium or alloy bits...plus a bit of a buff at the end to make it all shiny like the use to come straight out of the box..!
IMG_3502.jpg
and in my 'bitser' 91 wanna bee...but not quite...
IMG_3623.jpg

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

If You wan´t the magnesium to look out of the box new, You can blast it with glassbeads.
I´ve never seen Yokomo magnesium parts being glossy/shiney/mirrorish out of the bag/box :wink:

Don´t worry, I´ve got a mirrorpolished motormount myself :D
Gone fishing

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

That mag looks great.. I would suggest shooting some clear on it otherwise it will tarnish unless you polish it regularly.. just the nature of magnesium.. had a friend that polished up some mag wheels and they tarnishied in a few weeks.. it was on a datsun 510 though that he drove.. either way the mag parts look great!

Shawn

oh and fyi, even my NIP motor mount is tarnished.. I haven't even opened it yet.. :?

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Cool i have some clear and will pull it apart and give it a spray

In the mNuals i have all the mag parts look shiny and new like this so i thought i'd polish them up the same. I use to have mag wheels on an old hotted up cortina so yep i use to polish them, and yeah they would fade again but i thought that was the nature of the beast,,but yeah i think i will put clear on these as polishing is a little tricky.

Toaster
Approved Member

Post by Toaster »

Well like everyone else, some things got in the way and the project was partially shelved but thankfully I received some goodies in the mail that allows me take another small step forward.

Finally, finally managed to get my hands on what I believe to be the proper box tires, TR-31 s for the rear and TF-310 s for the front.

The shocks I had were pretty worn so I decided to bite the bullet and stumbled across a decent replacement set on ePay, not mint but in a heck of a lot better condition than the ones I had.

The rear shock mount was used and although looked to be in pretty good shape there was a considerable sized mark/damage in the lower half that was just bugging me for some strange reason so a quick overpayment later and tada!!!!! lol

Can't wait to start putting these together, I am so close I can almost taste it...ermmm see it :mrgreen: More and better quality pictures coming soon.
Attachments
groupie.JPG

Current projects:
1993 WCS Faux-komo
1994 Yokomo Box-Art
RC10GT Restoration

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

You have obviously never licked a YZ10. You won't be disappointed ;)