YR-4 custom buggy conversion

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Retro rc
Approved Member

Re: YR-4 custom buggy conversion

Post by Retro rc »

Peakey wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:19 am Wow what can I say other than wow!
Totally blown away by your build, I've got a similar YR4 sat doing nothing well I did until now. I might know a guy that would be able to mill some arms let me have a word and I'll let you know. He's currently working on some nylon yoke ones for me but he's a busy guy :roll: :lol:

But like I said awesome build!
Lol peakey if it's who I'm thinking of you'll be waiting a while :wink:

Here's some he did for Bormac

http://www.rcracer.co.nz/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=19440

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

Yep it's damo he said he should be able to do them this week, I've been waiting from my yoke arms since before he started on those arms for Jason. He said he'll do mine this week and if he can get a file he can do these at the same time before he moves

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

You lost me there. I s there a thread about those arms somewhere?

Pfff just my luck!

On my finished 91-ish buggy the rear universal-joints measure 80mm from the center of the drive pin to the bearing face. The front U-J's measure 85mm. The fronts are quite deep in the diff out-drives, not a problem but 2 or 3mm less would have been better.

So, what did I find in my stash:

I have 4 U-J's measuring 75mm: for the rear of an 870C YZ10 I believe. And probably good for the wide track conversion of the front for an 870C. These are not usable with the 91 arms as the drive pin doesn't reach into the diff out-drive.

I also have 4 U-J's measuring 86-87 mm: for the front of the works 94 yz10 I believe. With the 91 arm dimensions these go too deep in the drive cups and hinder suspension travel for the front. In the rear they prohibit proper camber.

I'll send Peakey the files and drawings as they are right now. So you guys at least can move forward.
For myself: I really don't want to buy more axles so I'm going to dig further and design arms that work with the axles and wheels I have.

Retro rc
Approved Member

Post by Retro rc »

Peakey wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:21 am Yep it's damo he said he should be able to do them this week, I've been waiting from my yoke arms since before he started on those arms for Jason. He said he'll do mine this week and if he can get a file he can do these at the same time before he moves
Lol I remember you sent them down with the c2works way back when. keeps telling me he'll have a chassis fro me too.

Sorry for the hyjack awesome build by the way very very cool so far

Retro rc
Approved Member

Post by Retro rc »

Mr. ED wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:23 am You lost me there. I s there a thread about those arms somewhere?

Pfff just my luck!

On my finished 91-ish buggy the rear universal-joints measure 80mm from the center of the drive pin to the bearing face. The front U-J's measure 85mm. The fronts are quite deep in the diff out-drives, not a problem but 2 or 3mm less would have been better.

So, what did I find in my stash:

I have 4 U-J's measuring 75mm: for the rear of an 870C YZ10 I believe. And probably good for the wide track conversion of the front for an 870C. These are not usable with the 91 arms as the drive pin doesn't reach into the diff out-drive.

I also have 4 U-J's measuring 86-87 mm: for the front of the works 94 yz10 I believe. With the 91 arm dimensions these go too deep in the drive cups and hinder suspension travel for the front. In the rear they prohibit proper camber.

I'll send Peakey the files and drawings as they are right now. So you guys at least can move forward.
For myself: I really don't want to buy more axles so I'm going to dig further and design arms that work with the axles and wheels I have.
So maybe send through 2 files to peakey 1 with arm measurements 5 mm longer than 91 arms are to take the 86-87 ujs

Damo does nice work but he is moving house soon and will have his cnc machine out of action for a while

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

The arms would have to be 5 mm shorter, not longer ;)

I thought about it, but that would make the car 10mm narrower.
I'm not going to rush things and ende up with something that's not satisfactory.
(It's not even like I really need another works too: just having fun with the design and getting the product out to the vintage lovers)

Peakey
Approved Member

Post by Peakey »

He's supposed to be cutting me a couple of sets of works arms in nylon because I refuse to pay Dynotechs prices lol

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Yeah baby!
WP_20170205_16_29_02_Pro.jpg
The perspective makes it look different but actually the Academy Wyvern diff fits almost perfectly in the YZ-10 bulkheads.
The pulley has a tooth less, so I put the YZ10 pulley between the wyvern diff halves. And put everything back together.

Result: I can now use the shorter 870C U-J's
WP_20170205_17_16_17_Pro.jpg
The set screw in the hub didn't meet the flat area of the axle, so I ground off a bit to make a bigger flat area
WP_20170205_17_15_59_Pro.jpg
And here it is with the hub mounted... not sure if it is the correct one but it works for me.
WP_20170205_17_19_48_Pro.jpg
I like the result and will do the same for the back.
This is as it sits now (ie the 'before' shot):
WP_20170205_17_16_48_Pro.jpg
Once done I'll have the original shafts available for another build with my design of arms 8)

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Post by AllenB.5979 »

Mr. ED wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:04 am Peakey is in the UK, so your efforts to find a US supplier are all but useless ;)
ORB design is in the Netherlands but hasn't responded yet with a quote for printed arms.

Through my work I'm in contact with 2 companies that could make these. But neither work with plastics on a regular base. Therefore they would require us to buy the full slab of plastic. Or they could cut some in alu. But that's not my favourite option, even more since we don't have a verified design yet.

I'm actually still thinking about a version with slightly altered dimensions, or maybe a second location for the outer hinges: offset to the center: allowing you and me to use the kind of wheels you have on it now.
What exactly do you have in the front? Are they running on 12mm hexes?
My problem is: I don't know whether I even have 4 suitable length driveshafts for another build.
If I do, I'm tearing open that set of team suzuki hubs I've had in my drawers for about 9 years.
Yeah, it's 12mm hexes front and back. That of course is with the HPI hubs and carriers. If I go back to the Yr-4 / Yz10 stuff then it will be the hexes from that set up which are capable of a 12mm hex so I guess that won't change much. You are far more familiar with these parts than I. As far as drive shafts... I guess I'll source what ever size is required.
They asked me what I was thinking!? I simply told them... I wasn't. :roll:

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Post by AllenB.5979 »

Retro rc wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:34 am
Peakey wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:21 am Yep it's damo he said he should be able to do them this week, I've been waiting from my yoke arms since before he started on those arms for Jason. He said he'll do mine this week and if he can get a file he can do these at the same time before he moves
Lol I remember you sent them down with the c2works way back when. keeps telling me he'll have a chassis fro me too.

Sorry for the hyjack awesome build by the way very very cool so far
No worries. This thread is becoming pretty cool. I'm glad I sparked this conversation. Seems like good things are coming out of it. Thanks for the good words on the build! Much appreciated.

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Post by AllenB.5979 »

Mr. ED wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:22 pm Yeah baby!

WP_20170205_16_29_02_Pro.jpg
Now having seen your set up... the Yr-4 pieces are very different. Definitely can't put those hubs on what I've got. I will certainly have to pick up that set of Yz10 shafts. Looks like the carriers might be ok though.

P.S. - like I said I'm off tomorrow so I'll be submitting those designs for quotes to a couple US makers. If there is a flaw in the design or you feel something needs to change let me know.

You're the man Ed!

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Post by AllenB.5979 »

Latest pics for the build of the month. 2013 Egress wheels with original Avante pinspike tires.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I've been toying around with hexes and other axles for the last couple hours. I'm starting to feel confident I can get at least one car running with hexes and the other on the 870c axles.
So one set of used u-j's could go up for sale if needed.
Wheels are available from JC in the UK.
And for the hubs... We'll get you sorted out.

Arms first, so, good luck with the hunt tomorrow.

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Post by AllenB.5979 »

Mr. ED wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:13 pm I've been toying around with hexes and other axles for the last couple hours. I'm starting to feel confident I can get at least one car running with hexes and the other on the 870c axles.
So one set of used u-j's could go up for sale if needed.
Wheels are available from JC in the UK.
And for the hubs... We'll get you sorted out.

Arms first, so, good luck with the hunt tomorrow.
Thank you sir. I'm confident that they will be able to make them. I believe it will be just a matter of cost. We shall see my friend.

AllenB.5979
Approved Member

Post by AllenB.5979 »

These are the Yr-4 arms, carriers and shafts. No question the shafts have to go. I know we've gone over this but for anyone seeking this info. These carriers should handle 870c or any other iteration Yz10 wheel shaft / hub set up correct?