What to do with Vintage Kyosho Ultima Pro XL?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ultimaproxl

What to do with Vintage Kyosho Ultima Pro XL?

Post by ultimaproxl »

I have a couple questions:

1. What is a 20+ year old Turbo Ultima Pro XL worth?
2. I want to get back into racing, do you think I should race this car at the track or sell it? There is no buggy class at the local track so I would have to race against stadium trucks.
3. Are there any modern tire options to fit this car that handle well on hard packed and dry track?

I have been out of RC for 20 plus years. I friend of mine bought a Traxxas Stampede so we went to the local track.

I was having a blast beating all the new trucks out at the track with my 20 year old buggy running a cheap 1800 mAh 6 cell NiCad battery. Then a couple guys checked out my car and said it was worth money and it was way too nice to be racing at the track.

I have the Pulsar 2000 controller and extra wheels in silver (I had two sets so I could quickly change between off road and street tires). I have 4 different motors and a Novak speed control. I have original box for car and controller.

Now that I know there is a local track, I want to race again. Is this car too nice to race? The car is really fast so if I race, I will also need to find some reasonable tire options that will fit.

purpletimbo
Approved Member

Re: What to do with Vintage Kyosho Ultima Pro XL?

Post by purpletimbo »

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

If it was me, I would race the car. You did say the car is used and you had a blast running the car against the trucks.

Get some fresh batteries, find some new rubber and have a great time.

I wish I could help on the tire situation but I am not familier with the Kyosho wheels and how they are mounted. You may have to do some searching through the forum to find some ideas.

Go ahead and post some pics of the buggy, I am sure everyone else would like to see some pics of the car.

Jake

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

I have a PRO XL and I can tell you these cars actualy work AND WORK WELL!!!

Although I did fit a TRIUMPH belt drive transmission and some 2.2" rims with modern rubber but thats about it. Sporting a very quick 12 turn motor, lipo's and descent speedy this car is not just insanely fast but handles just as good as the modern racers do. I dont even consider myself a good driver of any 2WD buggy let alone a car loaded with an open class motor yet I find this car the easiest to drive full tilt.
I leant my car to a well known local modern day racer for a few months and he wanted to keep it! It was that good and in my opinion would blow the doors off an RC10 stealth equiped car. Bold claim I know- but my XL can handle the power and can be driven very hard all day long.

Mate don't become a sheep and follow the rest of the flock. Be different. Be yourself and have a blast nailing all the modern day race cars/trucks with a classic! I wouldn't do it any other way.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

...also what's it worth?
Well this question almost always comes up. :lol: Its worth what someone else is willing to pay, which in most cases is as little as possible. In my opinion the XL was the best of the Ultima's back then for obvious reasons but possibly not the most collectible as the original Ultima and Turbo Ultima seem to command the better prices.

In my opinion your car would be worth more if you just kept it for memories sake. Replacing it would not be easy anyway.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

ultimaproxl wrote:1. What is a 20+ year old Turbo Ultima Pro XL worth?
Absolutely nothing... just send it to me. :wink:
ultimaproxl wrote:2. I want to get back into racing, do you think I should race this car at the track or sell it? There is no buggy class at the local track so I would have to race against stadium trucks.
As long as your local club/track will allow you to jump into a class, I say go for it with your ride. First, it will let you ease back into the hobby and hanging out for a few weeks will let you see what works at that venue and what the local shops support. When I have a vintage buggy I want to run, our local track will put me in with the stadium trucks as those are the most friendly. Short course trucks will slam you and 1/8th or monster will go over you. :lol:
ultimaproxl wrote:3. Are there any modern tire options to fit this car that handle well on hard packed and dry track?
With a little thought, anything is possible. Most modern tires are hex drive. I'm sure there's someone on here who has put 2.2s on the Ultima.

Check out what the local scene is-- in the northeast US, short course trucks (SC10, Slash, Blitz) are the most popular classes right now. 1/8th scale buggy is big too, but SC is definitely more affordable. Most importantly have fun. 8)
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

I too have a Pro XL, and would agree that they are the best of the Ultima series. I have one that is near new condition, and I got it for $60 shipped off of e-bay recently. Point being that they are not hightly sought after, most of the ultima series aren't. I think they are great cars, and were popular enough in their day that there are still parts to be found now. Properly tuned, they are still a very compitent car today. I think the mods BORMAC has made are a wise choice however. If I had to put a price to it, MAYBE $100 to the right person, typicaly $75. If it were a NIB kit or New built shelfer it could be more, but used runner -no. I would keep it, and run it. Have fun. -Jeff

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Not to hi-jack your thread I wanted to post up some pics of the XL I own. Please dont be offended, I just want to share idea's with what I have done/use.
The Longer wheel base and width of the Pro XL are comparable with todays 2WD buggies. The car behaves very well even with plenty of power (and to be honest with you) handles the infield and turns with ease. I was suprised at just how easy this car is to drive with lots of speed. Far better than any of my other 2WD buggies (and i have plenty :mrgreen: ).

-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Since we're whipping out Ultimas...here's my Pro XL. Well, one of them.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

I agree with the previous writers’, stick with your XL and have lots of fun! :D
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

ultimaproxl

Post by ultimaproxl »

Cool pics, I will try to get some of mine and post. I think you guys talked me into keeping it.

For you guys sending in pics, those look like newer wheel options. What brand or car are they from? Do they bolt right on or what modifications are needed?

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

For you guys sending in pics, those look like newer wheel options. What brand or car are they from? Do they bolt right on or what modifications are needed?
I have soe JC Racing 2.2" Yokomo rims fitted to my car via some alloy wheel adapters. I bought the adapters from eBay a while ago and they are very simple to fit to the Ultima's axles.

The JC rims are from back in the day but the manufacturer has started making them again which is TOPS!!!!
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

ultimaproxl

Post by ultimaproxl »

RichieRich,
What wheels are those? They look like they bolt on without adaptor?

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I'm using RB5 wheels all around. The rears bolt on with no problem to the CVDs I'm using. They should work with the stock Ultima axles as well. For the front, I'm using RB5 carriers, spindles and axles with Andy's arms. There are more pics in my showroom if you click the Tamiyaclub link below.

ultimaproxl

Post by ultimaproxl »

You asked for pics, so here they are: