Lazer (choo choo choo sound of cheesy 80s sci fi) Zeee EXXXX

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rfoxloon20

Re: Lazer (choo choo choo sound of cheesy 80s sci fi) Zeee E

Post by rfoxloon20 »

Actually the 8.5 is going in my tamiya trf 201, no way id risk grenading that sweet sweet triumph, it goes great with the super stock 34 and a 7.2 1800 nimh.

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

Update, today I ran the ZX after changing the rear belt. I also used the Big boire kyosho shocks and Durango springs and 10degree ZX5 c hub from my LWB optima mid with 65.5mm front CVD. Had a few problems, first hit a wall and dislodged a rear arm. When I picked up the car I saw that the rear gearbox brace, the rear most one holding the outer arm mount, has its right side arm lock thread stripped. So I am gonna need spares. I did a temporary superglue fix. I removed the screws, dropped CA into the hole, and blew into the hole, did it twice, let it dry for minute, then I reinstalled the rear arm lock and tightened the two screws.
Problem solved. Ran the car again and not long after heard a horrible grinding noise, which can only mean a destroyed spur.
Opened the gear cover and found that the upper motor screw came loose. I replaced it with a longer one, and swapped the destroyed 93T spur with a 100t RW one, which was semi destroyed months ago. I had great difficulty placing the front end of the VTS clutch into the RW spur, another reason why I don't like RW spurs. So I used the normal b4 slipper for the last pack.
This time everything worked well and I took this video.
[youtube]dOtyfIyN9fE[/youtube]

I have decided to get rid of the MXV transmitter, I prefer the MX3X I use on my optima mids, the throttle and the steering feels very easy to press and turn, unlike the MXV which requires some force.
I am getting some receivers and will place one in my ZX, I am pretty sure I will get a much better feel of the ZX after this, however since I ruined 2 spurs and don't have anymore, I am now on a search for some 93T associated SC10 spurs. Until then my ZX is grounded, I don't think it will be race ready by mid april.

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

alcyon wrote:Update, today I ran the ZX after changing the rear belt. I also used the Big boire kyosho shocks and Durango springs and 10degree ZX5 c hub from my LWB optima mid with 65.5mm front CVD. Had a few problems, first hit a wall and dislodged a rear arm. When I picked up the car I saw that the rear gearbox brace, the rear most one holding the outer arm mount, has its right side arm lock thread stripped. So I am gonna need spares. I did a temporary superglue fix. I removed the screws, dropped CA into the hole, and blew into the hole, did it twice, let it dry for minute, then I reinstalled the rear arm lock and tightened the two screws.
Problem solved. Ran the car again and not long after heard a horrible grinding noise, which can only mean a destroyed spur.
Opened the gear cover and found that the upper motor screw came loose. I replaced it with a longer one, and swapped the destroyed 93T spur with a 100t RW one, which was semi destroyed months ago. I had great difficulty placing the front end of the VTS clutch into the RW spur, another reason why I don't like RW spurs. So I used the normal b4 slipper for the last pack.

I have decided to get rid of the MXV transmitter, I prefer the MX3X I use on my optima mids, the throttle and the steering feels very easy to press and turn, unlike the MXV which requires some force.
I am getting some receivers and will place one in my ZX, I am pretty sure I will get a much better feel of the ZX after this, however since I ruined 2 spurs and don't have anymore, I am now on a search for some 93T associated SC10 spurs. Until then my ZX is grounded, I don't think it will be race ready by mid april.
Despite the issues she looked awesome out there! Nice work - hopefully you get everything sorted out. Can you post a link or part # to the shocks your using? Just re-did my Lazer and I think I'm going to need to step it up in the shock department!

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

n20capri wrote:
alcyon wrote:Update, today I ran the ZX after changing the rear belt. I also used the Big boire kyosho shocks and Durango springs and 10degree ZX5 c hub from my LWB optima mid with 65.5mm front CVD. Had a few problems, first hit a wall and dislodged a rear arm. When I picked up the car I saw that the rear gearbox brace, the rear most one holding the outer arm mount, has its right side arm lock thread stripped. So I am gonna need spares. I did a temporary superglue fix. I removed the screws, dropped CA into the hole, and blew into the hole, did it twice, let it dry for minute, then I reinstalled the rear arm lock and tightened the two screws.

Despite the issues she looked awesome out there! Nice work - hopefully you get everything sorted out. Can you post a link or part # to the shocks your using? Just re-did my Lazer and I think I'm going to need to step it up in the shock department!
thanks man. The rear shocks are w5304 38mm. Fronts are w5303 30mm.
dont forget the springs. I recomend the harder ones. Do not go for pinks or whites.
go gold or above. If you are running indoors use the ones a step above gold. My zx does drive great thanks to the ball diffs. In this video ir was equipped with a 100t spur which made it undergeared for a 10 5t.

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

Update. Ran The Lazer Today. Used the special arm i designed for My Optima Mid which pairs with ZX6 C hubs and knuckles and placed on my lazer with 73mm LA 257 CVDs.
[youtube]LlKpRzV-FWE[/youtube]

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

WOW, very fast on that big track. My Lazers were always very bouncy too. Your suspension must be strong to survive that big tumble. I would have thought nylon or delrin would snap from that tumble.

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

rccars4sal wrote:WOW, very fast on that big track. My Lazers were always very bouncy too. Your suspension must be strong to survive that big tumble. I would have thought nylon or delrin would snap from that tumble.
I am now using a cast nylon front arms. It is a little bit flwxible so it doesnt crack. The surface is also super smooth. I feel that the suspension is pretty good. The track is really bumpy so you see it as bouncy. Try going to harder oil to reduce bouncing.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Fantastic. Do you feel the nylon arms are stronger than stock?

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

rccars4sal wrote:Fantastic. Do you feel the nylon arms are stronger than stock?
Yes these are.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

In order to use the upgrade c hub and knuckle, is the arm changed at all for length,, or anything else? Im thinking of doing the same to one of my lazers, and possibly optima mids, and would like to know if this conversion will fit stock arms.

Seems like thats a great way to maintain a runner, then I could use the stock parts for a shelf model.

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

rccars4sal wrote:In order to use the upgrade c hub and knuckle, is the arm changed at all for length,, or anything else? Im thinking of doing the same to one of my lazers, and possibly optima mids, and would like to know if this conversion will fit stock arms.

Seems like thats a great way to maintain a runner, then I could use the stock parts for a shelf model.
This arm i designed is a combination of lazer zx arm with the length of zx6 arm. The zx6 arm is only 81mm in length compared to zx at 88mm. So what i did was i designed a zx arm that is 83mm long...2mm longer than zx6 ones because i noticed i could lengthen them a little without the bones dropping out. Also it widens the front track by 4mm more over the zx6 arms. I dont advise using zx6 arms straight out because of the material holding the hingepins is capturing only a small area..compared to the zx or optima mid arms. This will bend your hingepins then break the zx6 arm. You need a 42mm wide arm to fit properly between the hingepin braces i think the zx6 ones are only 36mm wide.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

alcyon wrote:I dont advise using zx6 arms straight out because of the material holding the hingepins is capturing only a small area..compared to the zx or optima mid arms. This will bend your hingepins then break the zx6 arm.
So they still haven't fixed that problem (when I bought a second hand Lazer ZX5 I had to replace all hinge pins because they were bent).