Lazer ZX-R resto project

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

stickboy007
Approved Member

Lazer ZX-R resto project

Post by stickboy007 »

As if I don't have enough projects going on already (MIP 4-10 project, MIP SP-2 project, 1988 Avante resto, JRx Pro resto, '92 YZ10 resto, plus keeping all of my modern and vintage runners in running condition), I just had to pick this thing up. This is something like my 42nd or 43rd R/C car. I'm not quite sure I'm a masochist, but maybe I keep getting these things out of a fear that one day I'll finish all of my projects and end up being bored for the rest of my life. Gotta keep looking for that next project, right?

I found this on Craigslist early last week. Comes with a decent set of spares, which is also good for my ZX runner, although I have to say there's a lot of stuff in the tackle boxes that is irrelevant to the ZX-R. I'll have to spend some time sorting through it all and tossing the random bits. The chassis itself is in okay condition. I'll tear the whole thing down and rebuild it, but I think I have everything I need. The only exception is the slipper. It was disassembled and parts spread throughout the tackle boxes. I see the slipper pads and plates, but the spring washers don't seem to be there. I'm sure I can find a reasonable substitute for those, like, oh I don't know...a spring ;)

I am curious about the shocks. Gray aluminum bodies with gold caps. Anybody know what those are from? I don't recall any Vintage Lazers coming with them, and I can't seem to track down whether or for what chassis they were meant to be an option part. I do also have a set of original Lazer/Optima shocks (black body, black + silver cap). Haven't decided yet which ones I'll use for this build...

One of these days, I'll get to this resto. Hopefully by end of year. I really want to get started on my 4-10 project first, but I have other projects I'm finishing up before I can even get to that. I'm kind of obsessive about doing these one at a time rather than in parallel...
Attachments
IMAG1266a.jpg
IMAG1267a.jpg
IMAG1268a.jpg
IMAG1269a.jpg

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Re: Lazer ZX-R resto project

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Aren't the shocks just gold shocks with the gold sanded off the bodies? They sure look like it...

Anyway, good luck with the project!

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

That may be, although the shock bodies don't look sanded down. I thought Kyosho made shocks like this in the past...?

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

That´s a nice chassis 8)
If the shocks were de-anodised with i.e drain cleaner, they´ll appear natural dull.
I´ve never seen them like this from Kyosho.
Gone fishing

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

They look like deanodized Kyosho Gold shock bodies to me, with minimal or no polishing. They can look quite nice when polished. 8)

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

EvolutionRevolution wrote:Aren't the shocks just gold shocks with the gold sanded off the bodies? They sure look like it...

Anyway, good luck with the project!
should be correct ...

mvh isobarik

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

stickboy007 wrote:As if I don't have enough projects going on already (MIP 4-10 project, MIP SP-2 project, 1988 Avante resto, JRx Pro resto, '92 YZ10 resto, plus keeping all of my modern and vintage runners in running condition), I just had to pick this thing up. This is something like my 42nd or 43rd R/C car. I'm not quite sure I'm a masochist, but maybe I keep getting these things out of a fear that one day I'll finish all of my projects and end up being bored for the rest of my life. Gotta keep looking for that next project, right?

I found this on Craigslist early last week. Comes with a decent set of spares, which is also good for my ZX runner, although I have to say there's a lot of stuff in the tackle boxes that is irrelevant to the ZX-R. I'll have to spend some time sorting through it all and tossing the random bits. The chassis itself is in okay condition. I'll tear the whole thing down and rebuild it, but I think I have everything I need. The only exception is the slipper. It was disassembled and parts spread throughout the tackle boxes. I see the slipper pads and plates, but the spring washers don't seem to be there. I'm sure I can find a reasonable substitute for those, like, oh I don't know...a spring ;)

I am curious about the shocks. Gray aluminum bodies with gold caps. Anybody know what those are from? I don't recall any Vintage Lazers coming with them, and I can't seem to track down whether or for what chassis they were meant to be an option part. I do also have a set of original Lazer/Optima shocks (black body, black + silver cap). Haven't decided yet which ones I'll use for this build...

One of these days, I'll get to this resto. Hopefully by end of year. I really want to get started on my 4-10 project first, but I have other projects I'm finishing up before I can even get to that. I'm kind of obsessive about doing these one at a time rather than in parallel...
thats an hpi upperdeck ....have one my self ..but tht chasssi ....

flip the car and take some better pics please ....

mvh isobarik

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Is the chassis also HPI? The picture is rather bad, but it looks like it might be milled graphite...

Teamline front hubs, Lunsford(?) turnbuckles. Is the slipper also aftermarket? What are those white delrin parts in the parts box?

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Here is the underside of the chassis. Sorry about the image quality. I don't know if it's the lighting in my place or the camera on my phone, but it never looks great unless I get natural lighting outdoors on an overcast day.

Anyway, I was not aware that HPI made a chassis for the Lazer. Very interesting...

Yes, these appear to be Teamline hubs. The turnbuckles may be Lunsford, but I'm thinking they're actually RCPS, who as I recall are the only ones to use that exact shape (somebody prove me wrong if you know otherwise). The slipper is simply disassembled. It's a stock slipper and I think I found all of the pieces after sorting through the two parts bins.

The white parts are just random bits from a hardware store. Nothing to do with R/C. I think the prior owner just had some junk in there that he forgot to take out.
Attachments
IMAG1278a.jpg

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

i have seen the hpi chassi but cant rememeber what it looked like but the cut outs in the rear i have seen be fore for certain.

looks also like the seventh cell should be placed in between the two packs anyway a really nice find ...

some one shold cad it ..... i know would i like to have an copy

mvh isobarik

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

I'm sure rccars4sal wouldn't mind reproducing this lower deck... ;) I'll talk to him about it.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

isobarik wrote:i have seen the hpi chassi but cant rememeber what it looked like but the cut outs in the rear i have seen be fore for certain.

looks also like the seventh cell should be placed in between the two packs anyway a really nice find ...

some one shold cad it ..... i know would i like to have an copy

mvh isobarik
AFAIK, HPI is also the only manufacturer that made graphite chassis for cars of Japanese origin that are not their own (or pancars) in the 1990s. The material on this one looks very similar to the F103 chassis I have. All aftermarket chassis by other manufacturers are regular weaved carbon.

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

Fibre lyte also made various chassis designs from 1990 onwards but does look like an HPI design, shame they didnt make much but as they were well expensive explains why.
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
http://www.kamtec.co.uk/

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

The design work does look like hpi, but the upper deck is woven carbon? I have never seen an hpi aftermarket set in woven carbon. Only ones I have seen are mate black frp fiberglass,, or carbon, but not the woven pattern. Id be interested in repro ing the top and bottom, and the front tower. Another member is also looking for zxr bottom plate...This one is def more interesting than the zxrmk1 plates that are in my stash.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Ok, I'll get to work on tearing this down, cleaning up the plates, and shipping them out to you. I'll see if I can get that done this weekend.