2016 optima transmission gears fit original

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

makoman1860
Approved Member

2016 optima transmission gears fit original

Post by makoman1860 »

Maybe a simple question, but one that gets conflicting answers. Has anyone yet put the new gears in and older car? I dont mind if some machine work is involved but I dont need to spend $$$ on parts that have no way of fitting :)

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Re: 2016 optima transmission gears fit original

Post by tamiyadan »

rangerg
Approved Member

Post by rangerg »

Isn't this asking about putting the new 2016 Optima gears (and chain or belt) into an original Optima? I am interested in this as well. What parts (specifically for belt drive) would drop into an Optima runner? Has anyone done this?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

While you can, it would be best to bite the bullet and order the cases as well. They are redesigned so they don't need the lexan shield and have a special piece to hold a spacer in place for assembly which would be hard to do with the old gearbox housing. Not impossible, but harder. Otherwise yes, the old cases can hold the new components as long as you replace all the component.
Attachments
image.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Ok so I opened my fresh kit and built the important parts. Come to find out they are not compatible in either for some silly little reasons.

on both, the bearing on the motor plate side of the case presses in to the outside of the case. Because of this, the gear rubs the case when put on the shaft. On the ultima, they also press from the wrong side on the left side of the car. The diff is also supported by 10x15 bearings now instead of 8x14. A 10x14 bearing would fix this if it were available. I haven't looked into it. The top shaft issue isn't really easily overcome. It would take some custom spacers and a shorter slipper spring to get it in there
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

rangerg
Approved Member

Post by rangerg »

That is good to know, thanks. So, I would need to get a re-re gearbox, gears, and slipper to upgrade the gearbox with the new parts. I see the parts around, but that would be three different purchases and it adds up. I am really hoping they re-release the Javelin. I would use the gearboxes and gears to upgrade my runner and the roll cage on a shelf queen.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

I like the way the new gear set looks. Very pro. Also interested in using new gears in my old car, and appreciate the info. It aint ever as easy as it should be,, but they do a good job of keeping things original, and updated at the same time.

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Hmm, well thank you for giving us a detailed explanation Jeff. I guess for the Ultima crowd we will just have to hope that 2017 will bring a thirtieth anniversary re-release Ultima with the upgraded gearbox. It doesn't seem too far fetched since they'd only have to make a new gearcase and diff half without a sprocket or pulley. :wink: Crosses fingers...

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

GoMachV wrote:Ok so I opened my fresh kit and built the important parts. Come to find out they are not compatible in either for some silly little reasons.

on both, the bearing on the motor plate side of the case presses in to the outside of the case. Because of this, the gear rubs the case when put on the shaft. On the ultima, they also press from the wrong side on the left side of the car. The diff is also supported by 10x15 bearings now instead of 8x14. A 10x14 bearing would fix this if it were available. I haven't looked into it. The top shaft issue isn't really easily overcome. It would take some custom spacers and a shorter slipper spring to get it in there
you meen something like this ???

http://www.tcmodels.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=978&category_id=54&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=71&vmcchk=1&Itemid=71

mvh isobarik

pUs

Post by pUs »

I'm considering setting up an Ultima Pro for some vintage indoor racing. Still not entirely sure I got the parts compatibility completely, so here goes..

1) If - hypothetically - I got myself a complete re-re Optima, assembled the whole rear gearbox minus belt/chain, would that gearbox assembly then fit a vintage Ultima without any major modifications?

2) Is there, anywhere, a list of all the parts that would be needed to build a complete re-re Optima gearbox assembly to fit a vintage Ultima? I've googled a bit but can't find the re-re manual. I've seen that most parts does seem to be available separately, but have no idea how much (if any) generic hardware that might still be missing if I purchase those part bags I've seen..

pUs

Post by pUs »

For the record, I should also add the reason why I even consider this.. it seems quite difficult to obtain gearbox parts for the Ultima, a lot more difficult than I would have imagined. I can't find one single W0110 (the Kyosho 0.6 mod spur optional spur gear) and at best a few overpriced 32 pitch ones..

Are there any other known solutions?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

No, the optima gearbox is completely different. It doesn’t bolt down flat like an Ultima.

Check Orangemazda’s thread for converting the optima rere internals to fit the ultima case....

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=42425
Factory Works website

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

pUs wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:50 am I'm considering setting up an Ultima Pro for some vintage indoor racing. Still not entirely sure I got the parts compatibility completely, so here goes..

1) If - hypothetically - I got myself a complete re-re Optima, assembled the whole rear gearbox minus belt/chain, would that gearbox assembly then fit a vintage Ultima without any major modifications?

2) Is there, anywhere, a list of all the parts that would be needed to build a complete re-re Optima gearbox assembly to fit a vintage Ultima? I've googled a bit but can't find the re-re manual. I've seen that most parts does seem to be available separately, but have no idea how much (if any) generic hardware that might still be missing if I purchase those part bags I've seen..
1. Richard Isherwood is racing his Ultima using the re-release Optima slipper by using the external gears from the re-release Optima but the original diff and an original Optima layshaft gear. The grub screw in the layshaft gear is threadlocked in place to remove all the play but not tightened down hard so the slipper can still be adjusted.

2. The manual is available on Kyoshos website http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/instructionmanual/buggy/pdf/30617_OPTIMA_IM.pdf

orangemazda
Approved Member

Post by orangemazda »

Yes, it is way easier to go that route:

3A55C7DA-4DA8-4F2B-8B38-D88B2DBE7E1D.jpeg
407FF62D-6683-479B-BC76-20340EE9C47A.jpeg
terry.sc wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:17 pm
pUs wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:50 am I'm considering setting up an Ultima Pro for some vintage indoor racing. Still not entirely sure I got the parts compatibility completely, so here goes..

1. Richard Isherwood is racing his Ultima using the re-release Optima slipper by using the external gears from the re-release Optima but the original diff and an original Optima layshaft gear. The grub screw in the layshaft gear is threadlocked in place to remove all the play but not tightened down hard so the slipper can still be adjusted.

2. The manual is available on Kyoshos website http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/instructionmanual/buggy/pdf/30617_OPTIMA_IM.pdf