Vintage Scorpion diffs

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

HatTrick
Approved Member

Re: Vintage Scorpion diffs

Post by HatTrick »

Haha, so it was you that got that Thorp diff in March!! I really wanted it but didn't have money for it then and mailed the seller in April but then it was gone. ;)

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

HatTrick - before I bought the one on ebay, I had 2 already and another - a fixed thorp diff without pinion gear, well the first one, I paid $200 for, the second one I got lucky on the bay, an ebay seller (no my good friend) had it together with a big parts lot consisting of thorps for scorpion and other 3 for tamiya buggies etc. won the bid at $110, Now I decided to sell the one I bought for $200 but thought I would keep it a little longer. When this one popped up on the bay for $225, I thought to myself it will sell most defiantly. But it did not and the seller brought it down to $150, I started getting interested and thought I would use this and the one I had as spare that I had thought of selling in a future 4x4 beetle build. and that is that. I was uninterested and thats what got me the diff at $130, otherwise I would have paid the $150, All thorp stuff and MIP stuff were expensive to begin with, many now do not know what they are, I mean family members of an enthusiast who has his childhood rc stuff tucked away in the basement etc.

Man you sure end up paying a lot for these sorts of parts, there comes a point where you stop tallying up the cost and just keep buying!!

TomEG
Approved Member

Post by TomEG »

ron wrote:......there comes a point where you stop tallying up the cost and just keep buying!!
So true..... :oops:

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

TomEG - I started off with just one build - kyosho scorpion with vintage scorcher body, I knew what I wanted and the design was so clear in my mind, started hopping it up with CRP axles, ishipla shocks, later alloy wheels, than CB like short shocks, mounted re-re body with cut out fenders so the tires don't bottom out on the fenders, looked like a true baja buggy, and yes gotta get those original baja bug license plate!! I am a sucker for vintage realistic parts - anything that is both functional and looks scale, love those to bits, I end up buying them and think of using them, where, well why not build another car, then you start thinking of putting more rare parts on it, thats how it starts. Its good when you are finishing your projects, I am not! I have 4 outstanding builds, 2 still ideas and in the pipeline, I have not spent so much, but enough, if I finish all up, the $$ is justified, I would not say I have an addiction - its passion baby! I'd rather be playing with RC then playing vid games, chatting on social media etc.

I hope you find a thorp diff, Hattrick, but be ready to spend $100+ for it, now that there are re-re scorps and what not from kyosho, and they are ALL GOOD with just a hint of modern twist for more fun and performance, thats not bad at all, you will find a vintage easily enough, sometimes you might have to buy a vintage roller that has the diff inside, etc, this is a secret, I am sure all know it, but if the half drive cups coming out of the gearbox is grayish silver, its most probably has a thorp in it, if blacj, its standard kyosho geared diff.

Here is some of my stuff - kyosho beetle, kyosho datsun truck, chevy gasser (still in the pipe lines), kyosho rowdy with ball diff!, optima mid etc and a bunch of cool vintage parts - shocks, ball joints etc

https://www.flickr.com/photos/110872915@N05/albums

TomEG
Approved Member

Post by TomEG »

Amazing work Ronit. I love the door handles!

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

Thanks TomEG, at the time when I was bidding on the vintage SS body, the seller had all the parts in separate auctions, the bidding for the plastic doors handles were just sky rocketing in price, I was glad I got the body and nearly outbid but won it, I thought about making my own from aluminum and I looked at the real thing parked in on my block. The key is to make both at once, repeat each process on both simultaneously to get them to look identical, It looks far better than the plastic ones :mrgreen: .

I will do another for the re re SS I have, gotta have some bling for sure! 8)