Kyosho Ultima / Sideways Project

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Basher67
Approved Member

Kyosho Ultima / Sideways Project

Post by Basher67 »

I've been collecting parts and trying to come up with a plan or a theme or something to get this build started for a while. With Sandkil recently starting his Sideways resto, I was inspired more than ever, and with the recent acquisition of a decent chassis, I'm finally getting this build off the ground. I have been hoarding a few Ultima/Ultima II/Sideways parts in preparation. I also have a set of front wide see's aluminum rims(no matching rears yet) and a complete set of sideways wheels and tires that havn't arrived in the mail yet. I'm going to start with a basic fitment of parts and then tear the car apart and do a final cleaning, painting, etc. before final assembly. I'm starting with an original ultima chassis fitted with Hot Trick front and rear arms and rear shock tower. I have a plan for the shocks which is to use a set of original optima 10mm shocks fitted with associated spring cups, traxxas ball joints and crp shock spring collars. I'm probably going to remove all red anodizing from all the parts and go with a satin or polished finish. I sort of have a blue/orange/white color scheme in my head and all the red anodized aluminum won't do. I still have to purchase a couple things, like a screw set, possibly the stainless set from RC Screws. The funniest part is, I don't know if I'm building an Ultima or a Sideways yet. I can't seem to make up my mind so I'm just going to dive in and I'll figure it out when I get that far.
Attachments
DSC08043.JPG
DSC08042.JPG

Basher67
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Ultima / Sideways Project

Post by Basher67 »

First problem was quick to show itself. In this pic, from the left, you will see the knuckle arms that I had (that came off of an Ultima 2/outlaw) and the axle that was on it. One of the Knuckles was cracked and the the long axles were not correct for what I'm trying to build so I ordered the knuckles and axles that are next to them. The axles are "UM8" and I'm pretty confident they are correct. The knuckles are "UM103" and are not correct. After a little research, I guess that any Ultima UM part 100 or higher is for the later model Ultima ST/RB? The hole that the axle goes in is too small and I havn't even got to any possible clearance or steering angle issues with those longer arms on the knuckles. I might try drilling the axle holes out and trying them. Does anyone know the correct kyosho part # for the knuckles? They are listed as part #32,33 on the parts list in the original manual but I could not find the "UM #" which is the replacement pack with right and left knuckles.
Attachments
DSC08045.JPG

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

UM-11 are original.
UM-49 fit. They have an extra hole used for the onroad cars
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Thanks. I'm going to search around for a set of those and do some experimenting with these ones I have. It's hard to believe that such a common part for such a popular car is so hard to find. I've never had a hard time finding parts for my RC10's. At least not the stock pieces.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Now I see my problem- I was searching "knuckle arms" and not "upright set". Thanks again GoMachV. Got a set of the right ones headed my way.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

So I'm sure a few of you were thinking :?: :!: when I described what I was doing for shocks so I thought I'd show you. As I said before, I'm not planning on having any red parts on the car when I'm done, so it didn't make sense to me to try to source original red replacement ends and spring cups and then experiment with trying to dye them black. The black end is a heavy duty short rod end for a traxxas jato and the spring cup is a common rc10 piece. It all fits together like it was made to be. the original kyosho balls even fit perfectly into the traxxas ends. After I remove the red anodizing from the shock body, Dye the spring cups black (or dig around in my junkyard for some black ones), I will rebuild them using some old CRP rebuild kits I've been hoarding and top them off with some CRP shock collars. I'll keep you posted with some pics as I make progress.
Attachments
DSC08047.JPG
DSC08046.JPG

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Basher67 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:07 pm The knuckles are "UM103" and are not correct. After a little research, I guess that any Ultima UM part 100 or higher is for the later model Ultima ST/RB? The hole that the axle goes in is too small and I havn't even got to any possible clearance or steering angle issues with those longer arms on the knuckles.
Yup, those are Ultima ST/RB parts. Note that you can't use the Ultima ST/RB axles either, because those are not for metric wheels but for US competition buggy wheels.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

gonna be sweet :)

Would be even sweeter with the red hot trick and red shock parts! Why get rid of that color? It's awesome! 8)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I had considered that, but the anodizing on the shocks has seen better days and the front shock mount from hot trick has not presented itself. Also, I've never been impressed with the red anodizing on the hot trick parts. By todays standards, its pretty crappy anodizing and not very durable. I had many opportunities at picking up the red hot trick radio plate, but decided against it. If I was going to do red, I think it would be cool to take all the aluminum parts including the original chassis to the anodizer and have them anodized together. 8) 8) 8) I've seen rc10's anodized and powder coated every color you can imagine, but I havn't seen too many Ultimas that are "outside the box".

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Understand. Patinated anodization looks good in my eyes,. And for the shocks, a pair of re-re's would do nicely, too!

It isn't like you were going to run it anyway... or were you?!? :shock:

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I'm not going to make it a basher, but I plan on running it some.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Basher67 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:01 am I'm not going to make it a basher, but I plan on running it some.
Please please please make vids... I've always wondered how they run! Will you run it as a sprint car, or just goof around in the driveway? :)

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

You know, I should make more videos. I have a gopro mounted inside my slash to do driver perspective videos and they came out pretty cool. As far as where I'll run the car, if it ends up as a buggy, I'll take it to the track. If it ends up becoming a sprint, I'm not sure. The whole point of running the sprint is dirt drifting on an oval. I'll have to think on that. It would have to be a decently prepped dirt surface.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Ok. I've got an update. I've decided that the only way to get what I want is to build 2 cars. So the sideways project is getting put to the side for the moment and this one is going to be an Ultima buggy. Lonestar, you may have me convinced on the red for this one. I'm keeping it for now and we'll see how the final outcome looks before cleaning and final assembly. I got the correct knuckles and axles installed. Installed some turnbuckles. I also came across these wheels in my junkyard. They are off of a Kyosho Cosmo. They cleaned up pretty nice and I have to say, I'm really diggin' them. Threw some proline diamond treads on the front just to see what they'd look like. The rear tires are the original cosmo tires. Not sure if I'm in love with that tread or not. The white bumper from the front of the Cosmo looks like it would bolt up. Might look cool if trimmed down to a different shape. Not sure on that one yet. Anyway, here's a couple pics. Let me know what you think
Attachments
DSC08086.JPG
DSC08088.JPG
DSC08087.JPG
DSC08089.JPG

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Also got the screw set from RCSCREWZ. I think they sent me the wrong set mislabeled or something. What I received is definitely not for an original Ultima. Tried to contact them but nothing so far. Do any of you have experience with this company or know of a different place to buy my screw sets from?