Kyosho Turbo Burns - New Rebuild

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lavigna

Re: Kyosho Turbo Burns - New Rebuild

Post by Lavigna »

I got the stock body and wing cut and mounted. Body paint, electronics, steel spur gear and this build should be done. I have seen aluminum center differential mounts for this car, but they seem very rare. I hope to find one someday. Aside from the mentioned, there are not many more upgrades that can be done to the Turbo Burns.

I finished lettering all 4 tires. Glad to have that done. It really makes the car pop. It is such a pretty car. I am planning on painting one body in box art theme. For the second body, I am still undecided. Any suggestions?
Attachments
Capture7.JPG
Capture6.JPG
Capture5.JPG
Capture4.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture1.JPG

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Some more pieces I have received. I lucked out at my local hobby store today. I found some great Kyosho pieces.

I now have upgraded/special brake discs for front and rear. I found the rear in my LHS today.

I could not believe my luck when I found the BS18 clear gear cover set in my LHS. I believe these are pretty rare. Also kind of cool because they are clear, and the set on the buggy are tinted. I have one of each now.

I also could not pass up on the front sway bar set, and the BSW54 special radio post set. This will be a nice little upgrade for my Turbo Inferno build I have planned for the future.
Attachments
Capture1.JPG

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

That's a great-looking car, the body needs paint though. :P Interested to see what paint scheme you have in mind. I assume you're not keeping it clear? If that were the case, I would leave the stickers off so you can better see the beauty underneath the body. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

USA-1
Approved Member

Post by USA-1 »

Buggy looking good BSW54 is really for the Inferno, You probably know that by now a lot of the Nitro crusher parts will bolt up to the Burns series, this will look great polished and add the special radio posts for added rigidity and stop servos from flexing compared to the weaker plastic plate. This is probably a lot more heavier, carbon fiber plate will looked good too and is a lot lighter. Will required some Mcgyving to the plate to corporate the front braking system can be done I did it using CF material instead of using Aluminum.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-USA-1-Nitro-Aluminum-Electronics-Deck-Radio-Plate-Burns-BS-12-Custom/162669095417?hash=item25dfd569f9:g:vdMAAOSwo6lWFfqa
Riskey Concept RC.
http://stores.ebay.com/Riskey-Concepts-RC/Riskey-Concepts-R-C-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=4272862012&_sid=304184272&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=2

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

USA-1 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:32 pm Buggy looking good BSW54 is really for the Inferno, You probably know that by now a lot of the Nitro crusher parts will bolt up to the Burns series, this will look great polished and add the special radio posts for added rigidity and stop servos from flexing compared to the weaker plastic plate. This is probably a lot more heavier, carbon fiber plate will looked good too and is a lot lighter. Will required some Mcgyving to the plate to corporate the front braking system can be done I did it using CF material instead of using Aluminum.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-USA-1-Nitro-Aluminum-Electronics-Deck-Radio-Plate-Burns-BS-12-Custom/162669095417?hash=item25dfd569f9:g:vdMAAOSwo6lWFfqa
Riskey Concept RC.
http://stores.ebay.com/Riskey-Concepts-RC/Riskey-Concepts-R-C-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=4272862012&_sid=304184272&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=2
Thanks. The BSW54 is not for this build. I plan to build a Turbo Inferno down the road, and it will be a nice upgrade for that build.

Yes, I have looked at much of those aluminum upgrades, aimed for the USA-1. They are pretty cool, but aren't a good fit for this build.

What is the part number for the Kyosho upgrade center disc brake rotor? I found the 39306 at my LHS, but it is too small. The front disc IFW34 was a great fit.

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

USA-1
Approved Member

Post by USA-1 »

I never seen one in all my days, only aftermarket. I got a dual fiber disc braking system on my Twins I believe came from Japan, blue anodized aluminum center diff housing. Only seen 2 came up on Ebay both at the same time, same seller one was attached to a Burns had matching blue anodized finned throttle/ braking servo mount.

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

Hi Lavigna,
I bumped into this rebuild through your thread at rcmagvintage. The car looks great! I am looking forward to seeing it completed.

I noticed the discussion that was going on about the BSW-1, BSW-2 and other diff gears. I have been working on Wikipedia pages for the Burns and Inferno for a month or so and you will find the answers you are looking for in the parts comparison table for the classic Inferno on the inferno page.

Burns Wiki Draft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Kyosho_Burns

Inferno Wiki Draft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Kyosho_Inferno

The BSW-1 and 2 were only available as spare parts, they were not sold with the Burns or classic Inferno kits. It is interesting that the "gold" color was mentioned. The tone of the metal BS-14 did vary at some point, I have both darker and lighter BS-14 gears lying around. It is not something I had really taken notice of before but I might add it to the wiki pages. I did not notice this change with the hardened BSW-1 and 2 gears however. They were always darker, and as already mentioned you can tell it is a BSW-2 by the gap bewteen the teeth and diff case.

Here is also a picture I took of the different gears from original kits, one can clearly see the narrower teeth of the BSW-2 gear as USA-1 mentioned.

ImageDifferentials Burns to Turbo Inferno by lexster76, auf Flickr

I am also working on an overview of all the optional parts compatibility table for the Burns and classic Infernos up to the MP6 but it is huge and and I don't think Wikipedia will take it as an article. I might upload it to Wiki Commons instead.

I would be grateful for any input you guys might have concerning the Burns and Inferno wikipages. At some point I also want to make a page for the USA-1, but will get the others done first. Why am I making the effort you ask? Well I am slowly but surely leaving the hobby but want to put down everything I learned somewhere where everyone can get access to it, and also expand on it. :-)
If you have any more questions let me know. I have subscribed to this thread, or you can also send me a message.

If you are interested, you can find my current Kyosho collection here. https://flic.kr/s/aHskWkPm2s (you can see a glasfiber brake disc installed on my Bruns DX 4WD which was a typical upgrade at the time...think it was Duratrax but not sure.)
Current collection can be viewed here. https://flic.kr/ps/3guKZY

I am the initial author of the Kyosho Burns and Kyosho Inferno pages on Wikipedia. Please help to keep these pages up to date and feel free to translate them into other languages!

USA-1
Approved Member

Post by USA-1 »

I'm sorry but you are wrong bsw1,2 came standard on the top of the line inferno not optional, the lesser version came with the BS-14 etc, like the DX models. See the parts list showing BSW1,2 not in the optional area.
http://www.retromodelisme.com/img/manuel/kyosho/inferno_4wd/P_page_021.jpg

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

Yes, that is what I also originally thought as well until I saw two mint Turbo Infernos in box with BS-14s still sealed in package and also got this supplement which points out that the large gear in the Turbo Inferno kit is not a BSW-2. Interestingly it does not mention anything about the BSW-1 but it is unlikely they would sell a hardened and a regular gear together.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148807212@N06/

The BS-14s were not listed in the parts lists in the later years as they were no longer provided by Kyosho as a spare only sold in the kits. Theoretically one had no alternative than to buy the BSW-1 and 2 so they were no longer considered optional parts. But of course in reality there was plenty of spare BS-14 stock available for sale.
It could of course be that some kits were sold with BSW-1 and 2, Kyosho did release limited editions with various upgrades for certain markets and towards the end of the production run (as mentioned by evolutionrevolution). If you have any examples of kits that were sold with the BSW-1 & 2 it would be good to know. The DX and DXII were supplied with the alloy BS-121 set (http://www.retromodelisme.com/scan_pages/13592/inferno-dx-limited-kyosho-page-22.html)
I will try to capture as much information as accurately as possible for the wikipages but we can do that in another thread or by messenger. :-) This thread is for the Turbo Burns rebuild, I don*t want it to go off-topic too much. :wink:

Lavigna, I was wondering where you got the adjustable tie-rods, upper rods and shock bushings from? They are not the Kyosho items that I am familiar with.
BSW-35 Special Tie Rod
BSW-36 Special Upper Rod
BSW-41 Steel Shock Bushing

I would recommend keeping all the original parts that you have including the chassis etc as the car keeps its monetary and historical value best in original condition.

I would really like to link this thread to the wiki page if it is ok with you? There is some really good information and discussion here :!:
I hadn't realized those clear diff box covers where officially Kyosho parts. I have two of them and thought they were reproductions. That is a good example of what "evolutionrevolution" mentioned about the design of the parts changing but the part numbers staying the same. This was also the case for the BSW-41 shock bushing (will make a comparison shot at some point) and the BSW-71KY wing which went form regular yellow to neon yellow at some point.
I have never seen a picture of the gold chassis before. The comparison shot is great.

You mentioned you were thinking of doing a Turbo Inferno, I can also recommend Marwans bodies and decals for that car too. All the bodies you see in my collection are from him, excluding the USA-1 which is teambluegroove. Keep up the good work. Great seeing more people preserving and showing these old cars. :-)

I am the initial author of the Kyosho Burns and Kyosho Inferno pages on Wikipedia. Please help to keep these pages up to date and feel free to translate them into other languages!

USA-1
Approved Member

Post by USA-1 »

I bought the inferno back in 91 or 92 and bsw1,2 came as standard I didnt have to go out and buy them separately just as the part list show. What does the turbo inferno has to do with the inferno which I feel was inferior cheaper blue anodized shocks compare to the hard coated Teflon shocks. I worked p/t at a hobby store during that era show me the part list for the turbo version.

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

No Problem. You can find all the parts lists for the different Inferno models on retromodellisme. My regular Inferno, which was bought new in Germany also around 91/92, came with BS-14s so it could be that it was different for the US market (as mentioned above). For the European market and apparently some Asian and Middle Eastern markets (examples from Marwan) it seems the BS-14 was supplied in the kit. I will emphasize these possible differences on the wiki pages. Thanks for your input USA-1!

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Lexter76 - Thanks so much for putting in the work to classify and inform on these models. I have wanted to do a Turbo Burns rebuild for nearly 15 years, however I was always discouraged in part because there was little information about them online. I have noticed a bulk of Turbo Burns collectors come from outside of the United States.

For this build, I am happy to say I am keeping every part I can. I have the box (in great shape), manual, all the standard pieces I replaced, all header cards and bags, instructions, and many more vintage correct misc items.

The tie-rods I used are not technically correct for the car. I used vintage Mugen Seiki titanium units. I chose these over the Kyosho Option units because I preferred their look, and material. They fit perfectly, but I plan on getting the correct Kyosho upgrade units at some point, just to have, in case I ever want to make it technically correct.

The shock bushings are from a modern Kyosho buggy. They are anodized aluminum units. If you notice in earlier pictures in this thread, I was using a set of vintage, aftermarket aluminum shock bushings. I got them in a lot with other parts, but they were not new, nor labeled. I do not know their brand. I later decided to replace them as I did not like their bulky appearance. Again, I know the current units are not period correct, and will likely replace with the BSW-41.

You are more than welcome to use/link to this thread as you please. I have spent more time than I care to admit, looking over your posted Kyosho photos. A surprising amount of time goes into creating these build threads. I know how much I appreciate the build threads of others. They have provided an amazing amount of information and joy for me. I feel this is the best way I can return the favor.

I was pretty excited when I came across those clear diff box covers. I imagine they are pretty rare to find NIB, and am fortunate they were opposite color of what I already had. Actually, I was very fortunate to find many of the upgrades. The NIB Gold chassis is something I would likely never find again.

As mentioned in my last post, Marwan resent me another body, wing, decal set, and an additional Burns decal set. All free of charge, and all on his own. Everything in this shipment was perfect. Since I have the original body and wing to refer to, I can verify how accurate his bodies are to the originals. Plus, they are a thicker lexan, which is great for runners. Marwan has also been a great source of information for this build. I felt like I sort of jumped into the deep end at the beginning. I had never owned/built a Kyosho kit before. I had never seen a Burns/Turbo Burns in person. These are such cool vehicles, and they were such a leap forward in 1/8 buggy technology. There is not much fundamental difference between these buggies, and the modern MP9.

Yes, a Turbo Inferno is planned for the future. I am already keeping my eyes out for a prime kit, and option parts. I already have the purple BSW-54 radio post upgrade, so that is my current starting point, lol.
Attachments
DSC_9416.JPG

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

Hi lavigna, I am sorry for the late reply, I haven't had a chance to catch up with RC related stuff over the past few weeks.
Thanks so much for the additional information and I look forward to seeing more pictures of the car as it develops! I am also really interested in seeing your Turbo Inferno project when ever it starts so do keep posting!

I linked this great thread to the new Burns Wikipedia page which was given the all clear by the Wikipedia editors a few days ago. All the additional information you have been posting about alternative optional parts will definitely come in handy for Burns enthusiasts out there.

Here is the new link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyosho_Burns

I will continue working on the Inferno page over Christmas, I haven't had the time that I had hoped. If anyone would like to add information to either page directly go right ahead, that's one of the main reasons I chose Wikipedia as a platform. :-)