Kyosho/Cox Gallop MK I

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

unixphreak
Approved Member

Kyosho/Cox Gallop MK I

Post by unixphreak »

I have just purchased a decent Cox Gallop MK I and was wondering if the models that had the gold shocks instead of the bare aluminum ones are hiding any other changes from the earlier model. I take it this model was near the end of the production run and the MK II came after so I guess that make the gold shocks on it more understandable. If anyone has any good history on this buggy I am all ears.

Here are a few pics from the auction I won and I am waiting for its arrival from Texas.

broken rear cage. I will repair this one. :D :D :D :D
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg

Phin
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho/Cox Gallop MK I

Post by Phin »

Not a Gallop/Progress expert so I don't know if there was any evolution of, or different kit grades for, the MKI during it's production run but I do know that the 8mm gold shocks were offered as an Option House upgrade.

unixphreak
Approved Member

Post by unixphreak »

Just received my Gallop from FEDEX. What a great buggy, only broken item on the buggy is the rear roll cage near the wing on both sides. The chassis is very dirty but the gear box, sprockets, and both the front and the rear differentials have almost no wear at all.

Anybody know the best way to remove the bearings on this old beast?

Also came with COX/SANWA receiver and servos but no transmitter :?

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

well the good thing is you can't get nothing outta old radios so you should be able to pick up one and a set of crystals pretty cheap. As someone who had a 'few' rc cars over the years and had more fun running with someone even if they didn't have one I always kept a radio to a runner. But alot of guys were alone in the world of rc so it was just cheaper to buy a receiver and crystal for that 2nd or 3rd car they ran since your gallop is pre-rtr dates and a good radio set cost almost as much as the car did :shock: .

keep us posted on finding a radio :wink:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

unixphreak
Approved Member

Post by unixphreak »

I have a few TX's and this one is a 27MHz which i have a couple but it was the fact that a COX TX was not with it. This particular buggy will sit on the shelf I am afraid the condition is too nice and it is pretty much complete and missing nothing, (I have the roll cage piece that was broken coming from a different seller) but I have a progress that will be a runner heading my way from overseas. I will be tearing it up with the lexan body instead of the uber unobtainable roll cage buggy.

I don't think this buggy had much run time the front steering control rod had the threaded end in a Z bend for the servo horn and the non threaded end just shoved into the ball end and the front and rear differentials had but a speck of grease on them and no gray dust or putty from aluminum wear. Looks like they rolled it once and broke the roll cage and put it up and never touched it.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

unixphreak wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:15 pm
s-l1600.jpg
One thing I can tell you is, that black thing with all the buttons, won't work as a remote controller for your gallop :mrgreen:

Awesome find btw :)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

unixphreak
Approved Member

Post by unixphreak »

yeah that would be for the other one with turbo boost!!! Yeah I cannot believe that it only had the one break in the roll cage and all the drive gear was immaculate.

and thank s for the compliment!!! It always feels good to get a good find on fleabay.

unixphreak
Approved Member

Post by unixphreak »

Ok, now this car is getting more curious, along with the gold shocks being standard ( I think) it has the same upper front suspension arms as the MK II with the two shock mount holes. now this could have been replaced but there is no visible sign of damage to the entire chassis. Would it be possible that this was a late run of the Cox version that added parts from the MK II due to supply shortage or supply chain changes?

Just some food for thought.

unixphreak
Approved Member

Post by unixphreak »

the tear down and cleaning have commenced. I have a couple of pics that show the wear or the lack there of concerning the rear diff and the rear sprocket. I did not take one of the front diff but its is just a new and has a bit more grease applied from the factory. I would be really scared to run that front diff the metal looks as soft as silly putty and the teeth on the gears are as thin a paper even when brand new.

BTW that is all the grease that was applied to the rear diff, even less on the other side.
WP_20180119_16_35_05_Pro.jpg
A__3069.jpg
A__9F04.jpg

unixphreak
Approved Member

Post by unixphreak »

Yay bearings have arrived, now to reassemble. Kyosho Progress will be picked up from the post office tomorrow so i can tell what shims to use on the rear diff of the Gallop.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Bitd my friend had a progress and hated those diffs , constantly needing to shim them but we ran the cars on sand a lot of the time ,I guess that didn't help .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

unixphreak
Approved Member

Post by unixphreak »

this one won't be run but I have another in the mail and my progress just showed up today. Would yo have an idea of what gear could replace the final pinion in these beasts? th original is butter hard aluminum and the one in my progress is done shot.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

tamiyadan wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:18 pm thing with these was the gearbox came preassembled. I think the final pinon was used in the scorpion as well i never had the gears side by side to confirm the design of the gearboxes are similar. progress came out first in 1984 it was kyoshos first 4wd car. scorp was 1982 kyosho could of borrowed parts from the earlier 2wd design.
That's definitely a different diff than the Scorp's...though they may be swappable. The Scorp diff was Mod 1 w/ 28 teeth and plastic. The Gallop one looks like it's Mod .8 and cast aluminum? If it is Mod .8 than the tooth count is about right and they might be swappable. Better info for Scorp owners than Gallop owners though. :D

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

How many teeth are on the final pinion? Again looks like the Gallop uses the same module gears as the Optima and Ultima, so you could do what people have done for a final pinion for those car and find a mod .8 or 32 pitch motor pinion with the right number of teeth.

Or, a couple of other cars you can look at for final pinion gears might be the MRP Pro 110 or Ishipla Monster.

unixphreak
Approved Member

Post by unixphreak »

Ok, i have two 17t pinions in the mail mod .8. Now i need to source some 4 & 6 mm spacers to shim the bearing sets i will be putting this Gallop and the 2nd one i acquired this week. And to clean up the shim job someone else did with the Progress i got last week.

Will have some partial assembly pics hopefully tonight gonna do the front and rear suspensions.