Traxxas lawsuit against Hobbico

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Traxxas lawsuit against Hobbico

Post by GoMachV »

I don’t see the 20% off coupon anymore, looks like it’s at 8% now. Might be worth waiting for a better coupon
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Timmahhh
Approved Member

Post by Timmahhh »

GoMachV wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:16 pm Here ya go Traxxas, chew on this

Huanqi 727 Slash “clone”. Besides the electronics, color of parts and tires/wheels it’s identical. But....it was $132 shipped to my door

I just needed a rig for mock up. This fit the bill a lot better than $400. Sorry Traxxas. Less greedy and I would have bought yours :mrgreen:
This is soooo awesome! I have been looking for a car to recommend to my neice and nephew, and I think I just found it. Even better, just about every Traxxas part has an aftermarket replacement, so they wouldnt even have to support traxxas if something broke.

makoman1860
Approved Member

Post by makoman1860 »

Interesting topic of patent law. Part of the reason Traxxas can do this is that patent laws have changed with regards to "prior art". Long story short and simplified, in years past it was the "first to invent" that had the first rights to patent. If they did not, nobody else could as the first inventor held "prior art". Now that has all changed, and it is now "first to file" that gets the patent. From what I heard through the patent lawyers at work it has to do with the costs and complexity of researching for prior art, and the costs of issuing and retracting patents as prior art was found. So in the past 10 years or so it has been a mad dash to patent anything and everything you can for some companies. The Japanese have gone bonkers with it, applying for patents for things that have been around for 50 years. Traxxas trying to patent anything R/C wise is like KIA trying to patent the steering wheel.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Since the whole Hobbico bankruptcy debacle Ive started thinking Traxxas could have seen the writing on the wall and used this to “tear up” the contract they had. Seeing as Hobbico owes everyone money, I’m sure Traxxas was effected and I wouldn’t doubt they had pretty decent terms on their payment from Hobbico. Just my opinion but it might have been a way out for them
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

ChaosKevin

Post by ChaosKevin »

Timmahhh wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:07 am

Huanqi 727 Slash “clone”. Besides the electronics, color of parts and tires/wheels it’s identical. But....it was $132 shipped to my door

I just needed a rig for mock up. This fit the bill a lot better than $400. Sorry Traxxas. Less greedy and I would have bought yours :mrgreen:
This is soooo awesome! I have been looking for a car to recommend to my neice and nephew, and I think I just found it. Even better, just about every Traxxas part has an aftermarket replacement, so they wouldnt even have to support traxxas if something broke.

I know this is an old thread but If any of you haven't tried the Huanqi, it is almost a perfect clone other than colors. I have been running one for a while now. The included electronics were a joke but I never planned to keep them anyway. My runs with a 4S capable ESC but I have only ran it on 3S - 95% of the time its 2S. All the same parts that are likely to break on the Traxxas version is likely to break on the clone. The only differences I have found is the output shafts are off just enough that the stock traxxas driveshafts did not fit without a slight modification. But the MIP CVDs worked perfectly. I made that swap after breaking multiple axle stubs (traxxas and Huanqi). If not for the LCG chassis, I wouldn't have needed any trx parts.

For a youngster just staring in RC, it was totally usable right out of the box. The biggest issue for a total newby would be the FM radio - unless their buddy have a brushless trx version. It even included a batter (NiMH) and a "charger".

Marshky
Approved Member

Post by Marshky »

duckhead wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:58 pm

Well...

1. Hated Traxxas since day one, which for me was the first time I saw the Traxxas Bullet, which clearly was a blatant rip off of the RC10. Although, in those days brand loyalty was pretty serious business. If you were a Team Associated guy, you were obligated to hate Kyosho (Ultima), Team Losi (JRX2), Tamyia, etc. Anything 4WD was ok, but 2WD was off limits. My views on that have changed as I aged and became a collector, but as a kid, it was serious business :lol:

2. That Slash "clone" is a pretty damn good deal for $132. Does it have full parts compatibility with the Slash? I assume sourcing parts would be pretty difficult. Might have to pick one up for my kid if it does :roll:

->Mark
Traxxas bullet isn't a rc10 ripoff. The car is actually really different. Even the gearbox of the bullet is different (3 external gears) than the mighty rc10 gearboxes. The older Traxxas Cars are actually really cool and good looking.