Proof of Concept

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Proof of Concept

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Just a mock-up of something brewing. Started with an Ultima kit and conversion plate from Jeff. It's just servo-taped in place and I cut some relief around the bulkhead area. Might opt for a TRX-3 direction with an adapted lower deck. Not sure if I want to drill holes in this chassis....

I just moved the plate back until there was a hair of clearance between the half-shafts and the arms at full droop to obtain the trailing arm/axle geometry. I am not sure if this is enough axle angle for anti-squat. There is mention of this in a thread somewhere. It's engineered into the straight-up conversion kits. I had to shave the inside bead off the rear wheels to obtain the inboard clearance. Anyway...I'll update this post in about a year. Maybe.
20180517_124714[1].jpg
20180517_125149[1].jpg
What kind of wheels/offset are you guys running on these things? There might be a Kyosho connection with the RB-6 swing shafts.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Proof of Concept

Post by GoMachV »

Traxxas 7171 wheels for the Mini E Revo are perfect. They are 2.2 buggy wheels with the correct offset. Use the wide hexes included with the trailing arm set if you can, they allow more clearance. If your using pin style axles you may need some 12mm touring car style wide hubs.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Post by TRX-1-3 »

GoMachV wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:39 pm Traxxas 7171 wheels for the Mini E Revo are perfect. They are 2.2 buggy wheels with the correct offset.....

Well that's handy. Thanks. Finally, one of those "bolts right on" solutions that applies to me!

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Post by TRX-1-3 »

20180517_200517.jpg
With some shocks mounted up on servo mounts and the motor plate and 17.5 HobbyWing it'll be utilizing. Start it out with a 78S/30P with the factory 2.14:1 final drive...yields a 1.21:1. Is that math right? Driven ÷ Drive, etc. Yeah? So that's 1.21 motor spins for 1 wheel spin. That's insane.

I think I am gonna go with a custom deck set and towers from FactoryWorks. That'll be neater. A little narrow armed shorter wheelbase with the TRX-3. Maybe in carbon. I know Jeff LOVES carbon. Was screwing around mounting a tower aft of a bulkhead. Might buy me something in the future.