Prototype TRF 211X from a factory driver from PH

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

slow_jun
Approved Member

Prototype TRF 211X from a factory driver from PH

Post by slow_jun »

Well,these photos are from a friend from way way back when i was 11 and still actively racing at our local track in PH,he is truly a FAST driver,still remember when he first came out with his JRX2 and joined the longest jump contest,which ofcourse he won,a week later all of the guys has the same kit as his.

Fast forward 27 yrs later,he just showed up at one of a thread in rctech(Zeratul), and the rest is history.

Ok,he just finished going thru all his pile o stuff and found this one,he was ine if the Factory driver testing this kit prior the release to the general public,problem then when he broke parts for the prototype,it would take a month or so for parts to arrive.

Is this a dyna storm or ?????

Please excuse the Box, we mean no harm to the name. :roll:

“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

vwjuice
Approved Member

Re: Prototype TRF from a factory driver from PH

Post by vwjuice »

I don't have a clue what it is, but that is one sweet looking buggy. Are you going too run it?

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

Google leads me to be TRF 211X(not sure),based from Dyna storm kit,my friend likes to restore it(if he could find parts for it,good luck) and i think he will run it. Will search mR G first and see if its really a Dyna what ever...hahaha
― Confucius

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

vwjuice wrote:I don't have a clue what it is, but that is one sweet looking buggy. Are you going too run it?
+1 That's one sexy chassis. 8)

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Never seen those shocks before - are they developed from the Hi-caps.
Nice buggy -how old is the TRF 211?

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=26134
Gone fishing

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

Here is mine, no where near as complete as this one.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=26134

The shocks are prototype Dynastorm shocks without the anodising.

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

tamiyadan wrote:there are conflicting reports, either the 211x was the prototype of the dynastorm or it was the prototype for another car that tamiya never built up.
The TRF 211X was the name given to the buggies made for the team drivers around the world that were never for sale. The Dynastorm was the kit Tamiya sold to everyone else.
The TRF 211X was produced around the same time as the Dynastorm in 1992, so they came from the same original prototype, but the TRF 211X was constantly developed for the team drivers with many new and updated parts, and AFAIK was never destined to become a production car at any time. It was a marketing exercise to sell Dynastorms, in the same way in 1990 Jamie Booth was officially racing an Egress while actually racing something a prototype Manta Ray that looked a lot like the Top Force that came out several years later.
oh the dynastorm body was also correct for the 211X you can grab a TBG reproduction and go from there were some Tamiya TRF decals.
AFAIK there wasn't a TRF 211X body and others such as Dynastorm, Astute and Madcap were used. But the silver body in the photo at the top of the thread looks like it might be a TRF 211X specific body as it certainly isn't a Dynastorm one.

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

terry.sc wrote:
tamiyadan wrote:there are conflicting reports, either the 211x was the prototype of the dynastorm or it was the prototype for another car that tamiya never built up.
The TRF 211X was the name given to the buggies made for the team drivers around the world that were never for sale. The Dynastorm was the kit Tamiya sold to everyone else.
The TRF 211X was produced around the same time as the Dynastorm in 1992, so they came from the same original prototype, but the TRF 211X was constantly developed for the team drivers with many new and updated parts, and AFAIK was never destined to become a production car at any time. It was a marketing exercise to sell Dynastorms, in the same way in 1990 Jamie Booth was officially racing an Egress while actually racing something a prototype Manta Ray that looked a lot like the Top Force that came out several years later.
oh the dynastorm body was also correct for the 211X you can grab a TBG reproduction and go from there were some Tamiya TRF decals.
AFAIK there wasn't a TRF 211X body and others such as Dynastorm, Astute and Madcap were used. But the silver body in the photo at the top of the thread looks like it might be a TRF 211X specific body as it certainly isn't a Dynastorm one.
Thank you Sir, for the great info. I'm forcing my friend to Join here and I believe he is just viewing as we type. hahahah...he will chime in. so that he can share to us his experience as a Team driver. As for the Body, it came from the Kit that was provided to them to test bitd, ( see name on body).

Now, If I can only make him post on here so I don't look stupid claiming that he is my friend.. hahahah. comm'n Bob, post... pleaseeeeeee.....
― Confucius

lancia

Re: Prototype TRF 211X from a factory driver from PH

Post by lancia »

Hello,
yes, This car is a Tamiya prototype.

It was created to make a comeback in 2wd
It was provided to 99 tamiya factory drivers.
Each driver received a sticker sheet with all the names of the factory drivers.
The name on your carrosseie is the name of one of these drivers. I recognize the font of the writing. .

The box came from japan, gross.
No images
Plan scanned mounting

It is a beautiful car.

I drove for Tamiya at the time.
I got one.
I drove the european championship in Denmark with her.

There were two in Belgium, France ....

I have the manual!
More car unfortunately ... I have to go to Japan because we had made ​​some interesting changes ...
Rc 10 1985
B4.1
TC 02C
TF5

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

Thank you for sharing your story, great to see guys on here reliving the memories. :D
― Confucius

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

is the Tranny's Slipper same as the slipper system for the Dyana storm? MDC System?
― Confucius

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

Any good reason for the piece of Carbon Fiber on the transmission? Other than to make it more complicated, which is a perfectly good reason, since it is a Tamiya.
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

Yep, that is the correct body. I have one for my 211X. Its similar to the dynastorm but much simpler and rudimentary in design.