The Official "What is it?" Thread

Need something identified? This is the place.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Brad
Approved Member

Re: The Official "What is it?" Thread

Post by Brad »

Looks like it could be a javelin by Kyosho.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Baja Growler, made by Bluebird. More pictures at this link: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/trades_model.asp?cid=118294&id=2193

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Holy smokes! That is one stunning RC and, from Alex's link, it appeared to arrive fully assembled. I reckon most hobby grade RC's of that era were offered as kits.
Would that be the same Blue Bird that now markets servos? Perhaps there was a licensing agreement with Kyosho or was a blatant knock-off?
Doug

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

It was a knock off, and not a good one- the Beagle by GV was way better and could use optima parts as replacements. This one looked like an optima but most parts would not interchange
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

GoMachV wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:58 pm It was a knock off, and not a good one- the Beagle by GV was way better and could use optima parts as replacements. This one looked like an optima but most parts would not interchange
It almost had me at first, as the rear shock tower looks like one I had seen pictured as the Gold Celebration Optima tower... but the front did not match, the chassis is very different, and the rear motor guard matches the one on the Beagle....

Kyosho stuff.... :?
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

duckhead
Approved Member

Post by duckhead »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:13 pm Baja Growler, made by Bluebird. More pictures at this link: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/trades_model.asp?cid=118294&id=2193

Alex
That is definitely what it is! There was a motor in the bottom of the parts box that matches the motor in the link you provided.

I had no idea there were knock offs of those cars made back in the day, very interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out for parts and see if I can complete the kit some day.

And I agree with Jeff, the quality on this model is pretty bad...

Thanks guys for solving the mystery 8)

->Mark

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

XLR8 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:55 pm Holy smokes! That is one stunning RC and, from Alex's link, it appeared to arrive fully assembled.
Yep, but sadly they were all about appearance...build quality was craptastic.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

So everyone who has had experience with these cars seems to agree that the car is total crap. Is it due to poor design, materials, fit, assembly, or a lack of parts support? What do you think separates a good vintage RC car from a bad one? I reckon it depends upon what you intend to do with it. Thoughts??
Doug

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

It wasn’t meant to last it was just to sell cheap and profit. That’s why they stole the ideas and designs, instead of coming up with their own. The plastics are weak- both flexible and brittle. It wasn’t really a hobby quality car, it was a cheap rtr and while there were some parts available, you didn’t know where to get them. Not really much different than buying a Hobby King kit now, they look ok and work ok, but they aren’t the same quality you get from most modern manufacturers of proper rc cars
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Oh, and to add to that- while we agree the cars were junk, that doesn’t mean they aren’t collectible. Some of my favorite kits are complete junk. They are still important history and visually very cool. Just don’t expect it to be a good runner

It’s very much a “never meet your heros” kind of deal.
Factory Works website

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

GoMachV wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:56 pm Some of my favorite kits are complete junk.
So you do collect Kyosho!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Osiris is the key.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

I just got a trans case set in a lot and while the plastic doesn't seem that bad (better than Tamiya's) the fit is so bad on the front trans I can't get the two halves together.

What bothers me the most though is the 30 degree's of kick-up in the front arm mounts and the 15 degrees of anti-squat in the rears. :x

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

GoMachV wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:56 pm Oh, and to add to that- while we agree the cars were junk, that doesn’t mean they aren’t collectible. Some of my favorite kits are complete junk. They are still important history and visually very cool. Just don’t expect it to be a good runner

It’s very much a “never meet your heros” kind of deal.
Very good points!! Before I discovered this and other sites dedicated to the collector hobby, I didn't see an RC as anything besides something to go out and compete with or bash around in the back yard.
Doug

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane »

Trying to find what vehicle this goes on... there's a spring inside, the tension is reversed from what we normally see - you extend it, then it snaps back in.
shocking.jpg

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

The spring is to put pressure on the oil. Once there is oil in there it should equalize

I don’t recognize the extension piece but the shock is just the run of the mill Delta style I believe.
Factory Works website