The Official "What is it?" Thread

Need something identified? This is the place.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Phin
Approved Member

Re: The Official "What is it?" Thread

Post by Phin »

I'm sorry....I should have been clearer. They were homebrew cars built with some parts from 1/24 scale slot cars, and some hand made parts. I'm mostly just looking to find out what the type of car was called (e.g. slot car, tether, RC). I can't start searching for more info on the car because I don't know what it actually is. :oops:

It does sound a bit like it runs on fenced tracks similar to the Electricar but again it's a bit different. Power comes from a copper strip underneath the car (though there may have been another strip too) instead of the bumper. I don't know how the power got from the track to those strips, or even to the motor though.

The bumper on these cars are actually attached to the steering on the car and allow the cars to pass each other. From what I was told all cars ran single file along the fence/wall and when a faster car rear ended a slower car the front bumper would pivot and turn the front wheels left. The faster car could then move to the inside of the track and pass the slower car. Another wire attached to the steering and chassis acted as a spring to turn the wheels back to the right, and put the car against the wall again after it got around the slower car. It's all pretty nifty. :mrgreen:

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

Hope you figure it out. Sounds like a cool concept. Just wondering if it was a local to your friend who built the car thing. Maybe just a group of them built them and it never caught on type thing.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I was digging through my old wings today and found a couple cool things that I would like some more info on if possible. Anyone recognize this wing. It looks like it belongs on a drag boat. Maybe 1/8 scale car? It looks to be extruded plastic. Was also curious about the wing buttons. Never seen these before. I thought they were really cool and I'm going to use them on a buggy wing. Picture doesn't do the anodized color justice. The color makes me think Trinity products maybe? Both sets came from the wings for 1/10 Indy car bodies.
Attachments
DSC08855.JPG
DSC08856.JPG

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

i would also say trinity wing buttons based on color.

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

The wing is Tecnacraft

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

What was it's intended use? Was it just a trim to length universal wing or was it specific to something like maybe 1/8 scale on-road? Also did it have end caps or just open ends like you see here? It does have associated style wing buttons. Maybe RC500?

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I tried to search tecnacraft wing in our forum here and there was some talk of it. But unfortunately photoSUCKit strikes again! :x I did find a pic of something else that was helpful. It mentioned Tecnacraft quick release wing mounts and I believe I might have a few here. I have a box full of aluminum stuff like this but can't identify most of it. It was cool to find out what these are. If I identified them correctly--- :roll: here's a pic
Attachments
DSC08857.JPG

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

Basher67 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:45 pm What was it's intended use? Was it just a trim to length universal wing or was it specific to something like maybe 1/8 scale on-road? Also did it have end caps or just open ends like you see here? It does have associated style wing buttons. Maybe RC500?
It had flat lexan end plates, two long tubes went through the extruded part of the wing and the end plates would attach with small screws into the tubes. They were made in a few different lengths but could be used for just about anything you wanted to put a wing on. If you have one of the longer ones your options are greater.

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

As long as I'm digging these out I'll show some other ones I had Laying in this box. I don't know about any of these. The ones in the top/middle with the round tops were obvious wing mounts to me although I don't know their origin. I had another set of them that I used on my recent RC10L build. Any chance anyone can I.D. any of these?
Attachments
DSC08858.JPG

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Nice Romulus! :D Now that's how you verify identification! :D The one I have is 7" Any idea how the side plates attach? Was there a plastic tube or something inside that the screws attach to? Mine is just hollow

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

The plastic tubes were a separate piece. Just pick up something small and use some coarse thread screws that will bite into the material. Not too much cause the screws will want to twist the tubes as you tighten.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Went back in the box of wings and old bodies and found this. :D :D :D . Looks like winner winner chicken dinner. :D This whole episode started this morning because I was looking for a wing for one of my RC10's and all I could find were Kyosho scorpion wings---about 6 of them and I don't own a scorpion! So I was just looking for an old one to get some decent hardware and order a new one. Didn't expect to find a bunch of tecnacraft parts laying around. I love my RC junkyard! :D
Attachments
DSC08859.JPG

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

This one is an A&L wing mount
Attachments
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG (4.87 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG (4.87 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Unfortunately, I have only found one so far. I need to dig further into the junkyard and find it's mate.