MRP Pro-110 and Stage II

The place for all things MRP.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Re: MRP Pro-110 and Stage II

Post by matt1ptkn »

I just wanted to share a photo of this beauty. A friend of mine painted it for me. He does amazing work. Everything you see on the body and wing is paint. No stickers. I just love it. The only way it could look better is if I had an original Stage II body and wing and stickers. But, it seems that in order to obtain those, I would have had to shell out over $2K on eBay. :lol: Anyway, here she is...
Attachments
MRP Pro 110 Stage II.jpg
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

I just picked up a small bushel of MRP Pro 110 and Stage II parts off eBay. I just thought I'd share this information in case anyone else has been searching for some hard to find parts, etc. These have only been recently listed and I've always had smooth transactions through this seller.

http://stores.ebay.com/Jims-Toys-and-Hobbies/_i.html?_nkw=mrp&submit=Search&_sid=93869
Matt

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

From that same seller, check out this rare "Toad body" for the RC10...pretty cool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Associated-RC10-Ultra-RARE-Toad-Body-Shell-MRP-1984-Vintage-/381003363519?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58b591f4bf

And from the same auction, check out the third picture... :o :lol:
AnotherToadBody.jpg
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

:shock: :roll: :lol: I wasn't sure which Smilie was most appropriate for that, so I just used all three.
Matt

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

After toiling over a paint scheme for this buggy for a long time, I finally bit the bullet and made a decision. I really like the way it turned out. While I can paint a descent lexan body, it is so hard for me to be patient during the process. I sped it up this time with a heat gun. :mrgreen: Everything was going well until I dropped the wing, paint side down, on the garage floor, twice. :oops: Thankfully, the heat gun had done its job fairly well just moments prior. Just wanted to show off my "skills". :lol:
Attachments
Pro-110 Painted (Finally).jpg
Matt

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

So, as usual, I continue to gather vintage MRP Pro-110 and Stage II parts/cars. After nearly completing my Pro-110 shelf queen, I still had a plethora of parts, etc. So I courageously assembled a runner. :shock: Don't worry, I was quite careful with her and I still have a hoard of spare parts. The old girl ran very well. I was very surprised with the handling and speed. Jumping was certainly not her strong point, but I didn't expect it to be. Anyway, after a dozen laps or so, something came loose. I figured it was the diff. I remember ALWAYS having to tighten these. But nope. It was just the drive cup set screw. Anyone remember these? MRP bravely used a SPLINED, 4-40 set screw that would strip out if you tried a traditional allen key wrench. I owe much grief and foul language to these little guys. I have just ordered some new splined wrenches so that I can safely remove all the remaining set screws and replace them with 'normal' ones. Then, back to the track!
Attachments
MRP Spline1.jpg
Pro110-3a.jpg
Pro110-2a.jpg
Matt

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Mid-moter conversion should help to improve the jumping ;-)

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

I actually have it set up mid motor. My first time ever driving a mid motor setup, too! :mrgreen: I think a big factor in the car's jump-ability is its weight; it weighs a ton. I could lighten it up significantly with modern electronics, but where is the challenge in that? :lol: :wink:
Matt

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

So, what are the chances that someone out there would have a photo of, or a scan of, the original MRP Pro-110 Stage II sticker sheet? I've been in touch with Nathanial with MCI, and we are making an attempt to recreate some of the stickers, if not all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a very good condition chassis, shocks, original body and wing... now all I need are the stickers. :cry: lol
Matt

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Great thread! Not sure how i have missed this until now, but i guess it is an old one, recently resurrected.

Very very cool cars - i admire your dedication to the marque. 8)
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

dinglem wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:44 pm Very very cool cars - i admire your dedication to the marque. 8)
Lol, thanks. I feel like I've been endlessly searching for MRP parts ever since I got my first Stage II. :roll:
Matt

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

The Stage II that was on ebay, has made its way to my home. 8) I'm taking good care of it. I took photos of the stickers on it and sent to Nathaniel, and so far, I believe that's all he is going off of. I would like to be able to re-use the original stickers, since they aren't in too bad of shape. However, a previous owner of this Stage II painted the outside of the body. So I'm concerned that the stickers will get goofed up during paint removal. I remember well, the troubles you had, especially with the Shotgun. I lack the skill, patience and motivation that you display in your restorations, so I'm leaving it in the hands of a professional. Its just disappointing how little information is out there on the MRP buggies.
Matt

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I've had good luck removing stickers intact by heating them up with a hair dryer for a few moments, slipping an X-Acto blade underneath an edge and carefully lifting them off. They can then usually be reapplied to the body after as the adhesive should stay on the sticker when removed this way. After removing them, place them on any sticker sheet that has the stickers already removed, on that shiny, slippery surface. That should preserve the stickiness.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3