TAG/SG Coyote

The place for all things TAG/SG.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

1300GT
Approved Member

Re: TAG/SG Coyote

Post by 1300GT »

Yep, from memory,

early models have a long slot down each side of the chassis and no black plastic clips for battery mounting. Less reinforcing in the front and rear lower arms. They use e clips to hold the wheels on instead of nuts. The internal bulkheads that surround the gearboxes have no upper screw holes.
They use a one piece underguard bumper setup instead of a separate underguard and the big white bumper.
Going by the photos, yours is a later version.
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

dinglem wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:39 am Do you have any pictures of your car please? Always interested to see others - there aren't too many posted online as i have had a good look.
I think I have them on an external hard drive, I'll have to look.
tamiyadan wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:55 am the buggy is junk but i was buying it to look nice on display, and that never happened due to the lies of the e-bay seller.
I disagree with the buggy being "junk." I've noticed that a lot of your posts come off as negative whether it's intentional or not. If you have a problem with clinehobbies you can always take it up with him on here as he's an active member in good standing.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

1300GT wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:51 pm Yep, from memory,

early models have a long slot down each side of the chassis and no black plastic clips for battery mounting. Less reinforcing in the front and rear lower arms. They use e clips to hold the wheels on instead of nuts. The internal bulkheads that surround the gearboxes have no upper screw holes.
They use a one piece underguard bumper setup instead of a separate underguard and the big white bumper.
Going by the photos, yours is a later version.
Should it theoretically have the metal gears then?

Great info - thank you.
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Lowgear wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:18 am
dinglem wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:39 am Do you have any pictures of your car please? Always interested to see others - there aren't too many posted online as i have had a good look.
I think I have them on an external hard drive, I'll have to look.
tamiyadan wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:55 am the buggy is junk but i was buying it to look nice on display, and that never happened due to the lies of the e-bay seller.
I disagree with the buggy being "junk." I've noticed that a lot of your posts come off as negative whether it's intentional or not. If you have a problem with clinehobbies you can always take it up with him on here as he's an active member in good standing.
Yes - any pictures very much appreciated. Many thanks.

clinehobbies was the seller and was very good with comms and info. He got back to me almost immediately with my numerous questions. Can't fault him throughout the sale and i am pleased to have won the car. I'm also not too bothered by people saying the buggy is junk as i'm in this for a bit of nostalgia and i always wanted one back in the day. That is all it is about for me. If i can turn it into something good then even better, as i like something a little out of the ordinary. There seems to be cars being avidly collected in the hobby now which i considered as street toys/junk myself bitd when i was racing competitively, so each to their own i guess.

Looking forward to the kit arriving so i can hopefully get cracking!
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

1300GT
Approved Member

Post by 1300GT »

There's a good chance they will be.

When I bought my two 2WD kits they both had all steel gears and later parts. The only difference between the two was the box art. One had the black wheeled Coyote and the other had the white wheeled Coyote with the wing and white bumper.
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Ok sounds good - i will keep my fingers crossed.

Looks like i have everything i need for the 4wd build apart from the front drive shafts. I can see the 4 required stub axles in my kit - so will the front ones still be the slotted ones to accept dog bones even if this was originally a 2wd kit?

I also only see 3 large bearings in my pictures (laid out next to the partially built chassis). Seems an unusual number - what are these does anybody know? :roll:

I read somewhere that the 4wd cars came with black wheels and the 2wd with the white ones - is there any truth behind this?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Kyosho optima shafts are a perfect fit. Since the optima rere is out, they are really easy to find cheap on eBay. You will need to file or dremel the pins on the outboard side just a little. Your shafts wil all accept dogbones.

Bearings are 5x16 and 8x16. I got mine on eBay for next to nothing.

Both my fwd and rwd came with white wheels. I can't speak for the 4wd.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Perfect answers and info - thank you!

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

Hope you enjoy building it! It's a nice piece of vintage history...

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Well these turned up today.... made it to me before the actual car has arrived (although i've tracked it into the UK and to our local sorting office so far... not long to wait now!)

Although i am unsure whether my gearboxes come with the metal diff gears or not, i thought i'd better grab these seeing as they were available and at decent price. Even if i am lucky enough to already have the metal gears in place, then these will sit as spares.
diff gear002.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Also found this review (in French) which included a shot and description of a Works Coyote driven by M. Pernice, which includes a carbon fibre chassis fabricated by Ferrari(!) Also has the motor canted over to one side to lower the centre of gravity, as well as carbon fibre additions atop the gearboxes/suspension mounts. Pretty cool.

works coyote.jpg

And another shot of the same car taken from a different thread on this forum:-

TAG COYOTE.jpg

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Was this before or after the predator?
Another car from that era with a similar layout was the Yankee Electra

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Waaaaay before the Predator. Not dissimilar though, right?

If they had stuck with the low layout shocks from the original Coyote it would be a dead ringer.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Both pics from '87.