Hirobo Zerda: from wreck to runner

The place for all things Hirobo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

threesheds
Approved Member

Re: Hirobo Zerda: from wreck to runner

Post by threesheds »

Well...glued the axle mount (thats what they call the gearbox side in the manual) and glued a steering knuckle that was a vintage broken part. On the basis that if you have a spare its never needed then I have some small insurance....he thinks! As you said , it feels pretty strong

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I broke a steering knuckle as well , I glued it and braced it with some U section CF rod from my helicopter parts box then used the old bind it with thread and super glue to hold it all together , I later replaced both knuckles for Alien Mid black knuckles that are substantially thicker at the steering arm but a direct swap otherwise .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

Yes I saw that post, funny thing...I had this broken knuckle but thought the small end was lost, tipped out a box of misc. bits and out it popped. Now it's a reconned spare.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Result :D
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

Peter from Sweden on eBay...top geezer..although I only won one auction for the alien mid deck I got second chance offers on a belt dust cover and zerda deck at acceptable prices. Now Zerda can't wait to try on her new top. Belt cover fitting not straight forward as previous owner cut off fixing lugs on the centre spine belt cover. Shouldn't be too difficult to bodge. Alien mid deck is same dimensions just different holes for servos etc which aren't needed for esc setups so another spare for the box unless an alien mid owner is desperate. Shame the roll cage price went stratospheric....proves there's several zerdas being resurected I guess. Back to the drawing board for replacing missing part with nylon rod. The seller in Japan must've bought the one from Orpington UK, trying to corner the market...

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

Peter from Sweden on eBay...top geezer..although I only won one auction for the alien mid deck I got second chance offers on a belt dust cover and zerda deck at acceptable prices. Now Zerda can't wait to try on her new top. Belt cover fitting not straight forward as previous owner cut off fixing lugs on the centre spine belt cover. Shouldn't be too difficult to bodge. Alien mid deck is same dimensions just different holes for servos etc which aren't needed for esc setups so another spare for the box unless an alien mid owner is desperate. Shame the roll cage price went stratospheric....proves there's several zerdas being resurected I guess. Back to the drawing board for replacing missing part with nylon rod. The seller in Japan must've bought the one from Orpington UK, trying to corner the market...

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Cool , nice bit of luck with the second chance items ! I just received the Alien mid front gearbox sides , I had a quick look and they are a lot beefier on the suspension mounts , especially the front one , it's about 5mm wider at the point where my Zerda one broke , now I'm going to have to either find or make up some longer suspension mounting pins as the Zerda ones will be too short :?

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

A couple of my pins were a bit bent but straightened with pliers. I,m thinking a couple of suitable nails or correct gauge wire would do it. Holes for split pins a problem but there's probably a workaround solution

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I may just get long screws and nylock nuts , they look like 2.5mm holes at a glance but I'll have to measure them . The original pins are quite soft and bendy !

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

Rock city pins on eBay, compatible???

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Ricoh city will be same as Zerda ones but it's not a big problem to make or just use screws .

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

In a bunch of second hand spares there's two zerda shocks. Although I'll be using the shafts and seals, the bodies and two worn seals will be surplus plus two worn piston/shafts. I'm cannibalising the yellow plastic tamiya shocks I have for shafts and found some 8mm washers to form pistons. Also slightly oversized 8mm washers only go into the body as far as the internal thread theoretically making a compression chamber for o rings.
Whether this makes a reasonable fix of original zerda shocks remains to be seen. Maybe green slime will help too. A knock on is the shocks on the GV beagle and finding best fit o rings 2.5 dia X 2mm cross section seem to be best.
Trying to find the best combo of seal and shock oil.

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

She ain't pretty but she's mine , the zerda is improving gradually, some cheap shocks from China and reinstalled the original front shock towers. They do bend easily but hey its all character!
a job lot of spares from ebay had some good, some bad, some rubbish in it but I got my money's worth.
Cannibalized some tamiya yellow shocks for shafts and o rings to overhaul the original zerda shocks, those crimped seals are a challenge and I did see them in expanded view in a Rockn City manual, they must disassemble somehow. But did find that an 8mm washer and o ring will fit between the seal and the end of the inner thread of the barrel of the shock so a bit of experimenting with that. the cannibalized shock shafts can replace the zerda worn ones and a piston is made of some 7-8mm washers, nylon ones that can be trimmed and drilled to allow oil to pass. The original zerda pistons seemed worn but they must be undersized to allow oil to pass which in turn allows the zerda shocks to wobble.
I've mounted a micro servo for the steering as the earlier servo saver mod had not left room for a full size servo to fit easily. Maybe the smaller servo wont stand up to punishment but they're almost disposable as far as price goes.
Image servo mounted with soft alluminium
Imagerear bumber courtesy of Dadio's 3d

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

problem posting images...

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »