Feb'22: we're getting there (at last)... CWF (tub) and Shiny RC10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lonestar
Approved Member

Feb'22: we're getting there (at last)... CWF (tub) and Shiny RC10

Post by Lonestar »

Hi guys

this is a project I've had in the pipeline for a loooong while as I sourced the parts one by one when I encountered them over forums and auction sites - it actually took quite a while, then again I wasn't actively pursuing them either :roll: I'm finally finding the drive to work on it, I've pretty much got everything... I think :lol:

Big thanks to my buddy Patriiick who sent me the 4 shocks that will make this car stand out I think :wink:

I'm now pulling all parts out of the miscellaneous boxes, and will be gathering the next few more - then we'll get started. As usual, this will be very "sequential"... so be patient please, this will start slowly :oops:

The main piece that started it all - very likely bought on this very forum quite a few moons back :lol:
FL tub and nose plate.jpg
And some CWF bits that go with it:
RCCW Shock towers.jpg
IMG_20180122_143244308.jpg
Wheels - JPS Daytonas, thanks Joe and Jason for id'ing them as my memory abandoned me :)
JPS Daytona.jpg
Steering... Not quite sure whom from, Houge our RPS...
RPS (not sure...).jpg
More shiny bits. Cannot remember for the life of me where the heck I sourced them from :roll:
NoClueWhoMadeThese.jpg
And last but not least, shiny shocks, Courtesy of the Fresh Prince (private joke)
MmmmShiny.jpg

Next are the transmission parts... in the same theme. Gotta dig them out of my mess. Stay tuned :)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Re: Lonestar's New Grail - Carbone and Chrome RC10 :)

Post by NomadRacer »

Yikes! That is some seriously nice stuff! If you need anything small and shiny, let me know. :wink:
Bum on Direct Deposit

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

NomadRacer wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:53 am Yikes! That is some seriously nice stuff! If you need anything small and shiny, let me know. :wink:
will certainly do - much appreciated :) Thank you!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I love those wheels! My OptiMutt project was started when I received a set of rear JPS wheels with a similar design, but 5-spokes instead of 6-spokes. I arranged a trade with a fellow forum member to acquire a set of matching fronts and the build was on.

Carbon and chrome...you can't go wrong with that combo, looking forward to the project. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Gonna be a nice one!

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Re: Lonestar's New Grail - Carbon and Shiny RC10 :)

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Shcwing!
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Wow nice teaser there Paul. I love the JPS wheels you have there. I guess it's a repop chassis looking at the carbon thickness? I've never seen that steering system before and it's neither a RPS or Houge one!

sandkil
Approved Member

Post by sandkil »

Oh wow :P
Its like looking into a burning flame. Can't take my eyes off it!

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Thanks all for the positive comments. This is a bit of a new experience for me as usually I start from a project car that needs TLC... whereas here it's build from spares that are disseminated all over my messy workshop and box' o'spares... so I keep digging in the box of supplies to gather everything's that's needed.

Nose tubes (again - un-remembered provenance, but definitely custom-made - anyone from here?).
NoseTubes.jpg
Anachronistic KO 2368 servo - simply for looks, I don't have a use for it in any build really, and I can't think of a better fit. Plus this one (I have two) has a slight imperfection that will be nicely hidden in this build :!:
KO2368.jpg
Hardware: I've also ordered a big lot of countersunk silver alloy washers. Initially I wanted SS screws but in all my recent builds I've favoured countersunk washers with FHS's, they look "slicker" than SHCS's - and they're much cheaper than a full screw set from RCscrewz or whoever (No McMaster Carr here grrr)
Washers.JPG
Washers.JPG (13.26 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
Washers.JPG
Washers.JPG (13.26 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
Bearings are on their way... I can probably put a set together with all the spares I have, but at $12 shipped for the lot, why bother :lol:

- Turnbuckles: we shall see. Not quite sure yet about whether to go for modern punishers, old-school lunsford's (I had hoarded on a few set long before they did their "retro" set... It had costed me a lot more by then :lol: ) or RCPS (with the "large" square section).

- Hinge pins: For every build I start, I'm finding out I miss one... so this time I've ordered a new retro set from Kelly's finest titanium products :)

Still have to dig out transmission parts... but we'll have CPD and REC parts in the lot :)

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Asso_man! wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:50 am Wow nice teaser there Paul. I love the JPS wheels you have there. I guess it's a repop chassis looking at the carbon thickness? I've never seen that steering system before and it's neither a RPS or Houge one!
Hey David - getting a positive comment from the Master himself is quite satisfying - thanks for your kind input :oops:

No idea whether repop or original... but I bought it about 10yrs ago, if it helps, from a gentleman (I think on rc10talk) who had bought it even earlier himself, from what I recall. I guess it depends when FL stopped making them the firs time around... I believe they don't even special-order them anymore these days.

I am a bit clueless about that steering too... I have a couple of RPS's and I compared it with one of them yesterday, and it definitely looks different. Not quite sure about provenance, really. That's one more set of parts to add to the build that carry some mistery with them :mrgreen:

Question to all, white plastics, or black plastics?!?

Black will look slicker, and the contrast will the shiny bits will pop even more... but there's something about white plastics with a black tub that is just sooo right... I'm torn. Inputs welcome :)

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

I'd go black and white. I personally really like when each part is contrasting with the one it is attached or next to. Pictures tell a thousand words, so here you go:
Attachments
P1130090.jpg
P1100411_zps0fe50cc8.jpg
DSCF2122_zpse4af9d6d.jpg

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Nice build Paul! She's gonna be a beauty! :shock:

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Excellent collection of parts. That’s the fibrelite chassis? Lovin those JPS wheels. You don’t see that style very often.

In my case I went blingy aluminum build on my AE Graphite chassis and I hate it. Just seems counterintuitive to hang all those heavy aluminum parts on a lightweight Graphite chassis. All the Dhawk parts are going to get switched out for aftermarket Andy’s parts

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

OMG Two of my RC10talk heroes commenting my build positiviely :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

Asso_Man - thanks for the pics... your modded RC10's are the shiznit, as usual. More on the white vs. black plastics topic further down below.

Shodog - Agree with you on the alloy suspension parts, I don't get it either and it reminds me of T-Maxx hop-up additictions. Yes, that tub and Nose plate is from FL indeed. This bit and the wheels were basically purchased a decade ago or so, and the moment I had both I basically knew what was coming next....

... But it took REC's transmission case a couple of years ago to convince me 100% that this would be black and shiny for sure!
REC TransCase.jpg
Also dug out a few more shiny bits - these are CPD outdrives btw. The finish is stunning :shock:
MoreShinyBits.jpg
Now - plastics. I sorted through my mess to find out that I don't have that many NiP white suspension plastics, really...
NIP White Plastics.jpg
So I pulled out about every white suspension part I had accumulated along the years.
SuspensionPartsSupply.jpg
As you can see, many of them are from Worlds Car's, so black arms. After careful matching, It came down to this set (incl. a few duplicates):
OffToBleach.jpg
There's some missing bits in there... namely front arms. No spare white front wishbones was a bit of a surprise here... then I remembered I had this TRX-1 in a box, and you could see where this could be getting:

(talking about it here: https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=42679).

There are some dogbone assemblies here, as opposed to UJ's (which I have spares of, too). The JPS's use 1/4" axles - this might be my only opportunity to use these pristine axles, as I am fully equipped in fully-built (and projects...) cars, expecially on a shelfer. Plus, polished dogbones can look cool! :)

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Now, after drooling over Asso_Man's three rides above, I think I'm coming to the following conclusion: White plastics and Black Chassis go so well together... but they tend to dampen the effect of the shiny bits, they take the light off of them if you want. You see a lot of contrast, but they eye is drawn between the clear shine and the clear plastics. I like a dash of "unexpected" color in a build for tension, though. But here the theme is black vs. shiny...

... so I think I'll go black only instead for aesthetic reasons. If only (i) so this car doesn't scream "me too" and (ii) because I don't have that many pristine-shape white plastics anyway. Whereas the only thing I'm missing black-plastics wise is a bulkhead. but I can die a white one :lol:

Anyways, the white parts lot pictured above will go to the peroxyde bath no matter what for the next project, no I've spent the time isolating them. And if I can find white front TRX-1 arms, that project could start "as early as" 2018 and hinge around some weird chassis (Strate, anyone?!? :D) too.

Next steps in this build: reopen all the boxes I had closed yesterday, and start all over again with black suspension parts :lol: