NIX10M

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

atarit3
Approved Member

Re: NIX10M

Post by atarit3 »

Before and after of my RC10 RE-Worlds buggy that I've been putting the miles on. Sorry for the low-rez pictures, forum limitations :). Wanted to try this conversion because it looks bad-ass and I want to see if it can keep the front end down on many of today's hyper-bite tracks.

Still a work in progress. was hoping to have it running to test here in Las Vegas, but that will have to wait....for parts...

Some tips I've learned from assembling:

* Go back and RE-READ all the required parts. I missed a few that I'm waiting for. Forgot the re-re Worlds transmission case is asymmetric, so the correct case is on order.
* the rear shocks for me from the stock RE-Worlds position felt like they were binding. I loosened the bottom of the shocks a few turns on the bolt and it cleared up. I may need to shim the bottom of the shock or work on the mounting position on the back ( I used the Carbonworks rear RC10 shock tower until I can confirm I can get more rear shock towers for this car).
* as with any mid-motor car, some imaginering will be required for running over the 4 main cables from the ESC to the motor. Going to try going over the battery with this setup.
* I learned how MUCH my steering bellcranks were off on the Worlds car after assembling the new steering, which I love. Will most likely be adding a servo saver not for the servo but for the 3D-printed bellcranks and steering hubs.
* Yes, it's cheaper just to pick up a newer AE mid motor buggy than modify the OG RC10, BUT, we do it because we love it!

*(UPDATE)- figured out why the rear shocks are binding; 1) the rear tow is now INVERTED away from the tower, 2) the a-arm mounts are in the rear holes!. Will try moving back the a-arm mounts to see if that gives me the clearance AND confirm the B44 rear CV's still have proper outdrive depth.
Attachments
My Before setup :).  got it working pretty good for high grip sugar tracks, but had to add a lot of weight up front to keep the steering on the ground.
My Before setup :). got it working pretty good for high grip sugar tracks, but had to add a lot of weight up front to keep the steering on the ground.
initial swap over. will be using a shorty battery.  I LOVE all the battery hole options, beautiful.  Back shock were binding a bit, found I missed putting shims under the back transmission case.  shocks are shimmed on the bottom, but looks like it's gonna need shimmed more to get the shocks more veritical
initial swap over. will be using a shorty battery. I LOVE all the battery hole options, beautiful. Back shock were binding a bit, found I missed putting shims under the back transmission case. shocks are shimmed on the bottom, but looks like it's gonna need shimmed more to get the shocks more veritical
side view
side view
mounted electronics.  Wrong transmission case (on order). love the steering, but feel the need for a steering servo, don't know if I'll keep the front bumper, quite large..
mounted electronics. Wrong transmission case (on order). love the steering, but feel the need for a steering servo, don't know if I'll keep the front bumper, quite large..
"To finish first, you must first finish"- Rick Mears
http://www.facebook.com/YumaRCRaceway
http://www.facebook.com/groups/rceofyuma

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Looking good, have you run it yet?

You can use the re-re gear case if you trim down the lugs and use longer screws with the standard transmission spacers. I almost prefer this over the 6565 gear case.

The ideal shock angle is the same angle as antisquat (perpendicular to the inner hinge pin)
Attachments
20160912_185729-1024x575.jpg
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

atarit3
Approved Member

Post by atarit3 »

RC10th wrote:Looking good, have you run it yet?

You can use the re-re gear case if you trim down the lugs and use longer screws with the standard transmission spacers. I almost prefer this over the 6565 gear case.

The ideal shock angle is the same angle as antisquat (perpendicular to the inner hinge pin)
Haven't run it yet, decided to wait for the 6565 case. awaiting some additional parts as well.

atarit3
Approved Member

Post by atarit3 »

Further work, "the making of" and completion coming along. website limitations prevent directly uploading pics without resizing, so as I get back to it I'll do that.

Did finally get to drive it! Lov'n it! will post again as time permits

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Photobucket images fixed on the first page...

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Found this picture that I don't think I've ever posted. Not the best laid out photo but you get the idea.
Attachments
20151101_190523-1024x576.jpg

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Here are some pics of my NIX10M with both the standard arms and with the quadra symmetrical setup.

Some action shots

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Did you build the car full quadra?

I think I asked how it went in your build thread but not sure what happened after that. Big difference in performance between arms or?

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Yeah, there was a bit of a difference, it handled a lot more like the B5M/B6D, which makes sense since it has a similar track width. It handles so much better with standard arms compared to the standard rear motor RC10. Either way, a blast to drive.

I didn't think to get too many comparison photos, but I found this one.

Here is a photoshop pic of the B5M and NIX10M

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

That photoshop is trippy, lol.

If you lined up wheel base everything is almost identical :shock:

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

Is Jake still making these kits?

Niki
Approved Member

Post by Niki »

Truck nose NIX10M assy drawing... finally :)

In drawing lower right you have minimum parts you need from Fibre-Lyte or Jake.
NIX63051 (Chassis 2.5mm or 3mm)
NIX65931 Transmission Brace
NIX63391 Lipo Strap
NIX63375 Truck nose tube mounts (left and right)

On top of that you need SLS or MJF parts from Shapeways or Imaterialise. Drawing upper left.
Bellcranks are not mandatory, low profile servo can be mounted traditionally, but might get tight with ESC together with B44.2 battery cradle. First page of this topic shows optional battery positions.
For shock towers you can use what ever you want... matched obviously with your shocks. I have rere-Worlds shocks in my car together with towers specified in drawing.

-Niki-

NIX10M_truck_nose_assy_drawing.jpg