New to me RC10 Team Car on the way

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Basher67
Approved Member

Re: New to me RC10 Team Car on the way

Post by Basher67 »

I'm with you partner. Run that car. I have some shelf queens, but if I only had one RC10, I would be running it. But first, protect it a little. At least use some kind of chassis protector. There are all kinds of precut self-adhesive chassis protectors and lexan ones as well, but for my money, I keep a roll of this tape around all the time. My local carpet track requires it to keep protruding screws from snagging the track. I started using it for a universal chassis protector for all of my vintage cars that I want to play with. It sticks well, offers great protection and is removable without much effort and leaves no residue. I forget it's actual name, but it's found in the outdoor plumbing/sprinkler dept. of most any hardware store.
Attachments
DSC08926.JPG

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Peter_B
Approved Member

Post by Peter_B »

I have some that look very similar, but Fastrax branded. I bought imperial and metric sets.

Peter_B
Approved Member

Post by Peter_B »

Basher67 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:47 pm I'm with you partner. Run that car. I have some shelf queens, but if I only had one RC10, I would be running it. But first, protect it a little. At least use some kind of chassis protector. There are all kinds of precut self-adhesive chassis protectors and lexan ones as well, but for my money, I keep a roll of this tape around all the time. My local carpet track requires it to keep protruding screws from snagging the track. I started using it for a universal chassis protector for all of my vintage cars that I want to play with. It sticks well, offers great protection and is removable without much effort and leaves no residue. I forget it's actual name, but it's found in the outdoor plumbing/sprinkler dept. of most any hardware store.
A full length lexan undertray is on the way from TeamBlueGroove.

The tape is a good idea though, could use some of that with the undertray on top.

I'll have to see if I can find similar in the UK.

Peter_B
Approved Member

Post by Peter_B »

bluewormx wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:48 pm The Button head screws and the flat head screws need 1/16" allen driver.

Socket head screws need 3/32" driver

set screws use 0.050" driver

stealth diff screw is 5/64"(2mm)

Be carefull all screws are 4-40 SAE
Motor screws are metric M3 don't mix them up.

Shocks.
You need to measure the distance between the bottom of the shocks and rod ends, both sides need to be the same.
I have a 1/16 driver and I'm sure I tried it but found it too big. I'll have another look at it.

Is there anywhere that does replacement screw sets? I think I've seen one for the world's re-re but am not sure if all the screws are the same.

I know I could probably get all the different types individually. But I'm not sure of all the types and quantities needed. The manual doesn't have them all nicely listed to make it easy. They seem to be listed all over.

I'll definitely make sure to rebuild the shocks equally when I do so.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Team KNK hardware makes a killer screw set and you not only end up with the right ones (unlike many of the others) but you also end up with a bunch of extras. Kit runs $20 and USA shipping is $3.75

http://www.teamknkhardware.com/apps/webstore/products/show/5538080
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Peter_B
Approved Member

Post by Peter_B »

GoMachV wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:07 am Team KNK hardware makes a killer screw set and you not only end up with the right ones (unlike many of the others) but you also end up with a bunch of extras. Kit runs $20 and USA shipping is $3.75

http://www.teamknkhardware.com/apps/webstore/products/show/5538080
Thanks for that. Unfortunately the link isn't working for me at the moment. Probably a glitch somewhere.

Do you know if they ship to the UK?

Peter_B
Approved Member

Post by Peter_B »

Another question - about e clips for the suspension arms etc.

The size of them isn't listed in the manual (at least I didn't see it) but looking up the part number (#6299) I find that they are 1/8inch.

I haven't yet found anywhere in the UK where I can get just a few (could get a hundred or more but don't think I'd need that many). However I can find 3.2mm metric ones.

1/8inch is about 3.175mm or so, so there isn't a huge difference but it might be critical

Will 3.2mm ones do the job? Or are they going to be flying off all the time.

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Peter_B
Approved Member

Post by Peter_B »

Thanks but they only have 1 pack, and wouldn't get it to me for 10 days, by my reckoning I need about 32 clips, if I were to replace them all.

That's why I was looking for generic ones rather than the "proper" ones :)

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

Peter,
Why would you want to change all the E clips? They normally last the lifetime of the car...

Having spares is good since the front inner hinge pin tends to loose them (when racing). The best solution for those is to pin them with a set screw.
Attachments
IMG_1820.JPG

Peter_B
Approved Member

Post by Peter_B »

bluewormx wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:16 am Peter,
Why would you want to change all the E clips? They normally last the lifetime of the car...

Having spares is good since the front inner hinge pin tends to loose them (when racing). The best solution for those is to pin them with a set screw.
Well now that I've started looking at the car closely, I've noticed that it must have spent some time in the vicinity of a smoker. There's a definite smell around the car and some of the white parts do look a little yellowed.

So I thought I would strip it down to give it a clean to try and get rid of the smell at least. Chances are I'll lose some e-clips while doing so and I wasn't too sure if e-clips could be re-used once they'd been removed.

Will the 3.2mm metric ones be ok> As I can get hold of those much easier than 1/8" imperial ones.

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Hey mate, I don't know if the metric e-clips will work for you (don't have any myself)I'm guessing 1/12 scale on-road racing is pretty hot in the UK. Check around with those guys and their parts supply chain for Calandra Racing Concepts #1382 1/8" e-clips 100pcs. I have some and they snap nicely on the hinge pins.
Bum on Direct Deposit

lmw94002
Approved Member

Post by lmw94002 »

Learn to love McMaster for your nuts/bolts needs. Not sure on international shipping, but for US I get my stuff super quick. Only downside is if you need qty10 and some company is chargine $10... You can probably get qty 100 for $20-25 from McMaster.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#e-clips/

I spent like $100 on stainless steel hardware and I can do like 10-12 RC10s probably. :)
--
RC10CE 6-gear, RC10 Team, 10L, 10LSS, Worlds, B2, B4 TC, FT TC3, Nitro SC8, SC18, RC18LM, FT SC10.2, Worlds-ReRe, B6, B6D
--Builds--
SSC10 build - http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=41740

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

lmw94002 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:15 am Learn to love McMaster for your nuts/bolts needs. Not sure on international shipping, but for US I get my stuff super quick. Only downside is if you need qty10 and some company is chargine $10... You can probably get qty 100 for $20-25 from McMaster.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#e-clips/

I spent like $100 on stainless steel hardware and I can do like 10-12 RC10s probably. :)
I wish Mcmaster did international.... They are awesome!

But no international :(