My "new" RC10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TomiS
Approved Member

My "new" RC10

Post by TomiS »

Hello all! I found this old RC10 while searching for a buggy for my 5 yrs daughter to replace her Tamiya Lunch Box. This car has been sitting on a shelf since new and never been driven. It has A stamp chassis, came with mechanical speed controller and Asso's Stock Motor. There is no body or wing but has the manual dated 1984 and driver figure and some spare wheels and tires. Based on the condition it’s not driven at all.

I was thinking about selling it and get something more usable for her. But then again I might regret it later. When I was a kid I could not afford it and when I finally had saved the money, RC10 Graphite came out and I bought that instead.

If I decide to restore this, is it OK to use re-release body and decals? I mean are they same as the ones that came with original model? I'm not intending to drive it but still would like to make it as period correct as possible and use hop up parts where ever I can. What was available back then? I'd like to use ball bearings and turn buckles at least but what about modified transmissions and all that?
IMG_4147.JPG
IMG_4146.JPG
IMG_4148.JPG

jwscab

Re: My "new" RC10

Post by jwscab »

Really nice car! Restore it how you want. The re release parts are perfectly fine if you don't have a problem with them.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

jwscab wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:19 am Really nice car! Restore it how you want. The re release parts are perfectly fine if you don't have a problem with them.
+1 I agree completely; rere parts are fine to use. I have the modern body, wing and decal set on my dad's old Edinger and I'm perfectly happy with them. Others may disagree but IMHO vintage parts are great when you have them but no one who has looked at my dad's car knows or cares that the body isn't an old vintage part.
Doug

TomiS
Approved Member

Post by TomiS »

OK, thanks for answers! I have no problem using rere parts as long as they are close match to original ones. I haven't seen rere or original decal sets so that's why I asked.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

TomiS wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:06 am OK, thanks for answers! I have no problem using rere parts as long as they are close match to original ones. I haven't seen rere or original decal sets so that's why I asked.
If you haven't seen either, you won't know the difference anyway... :lol:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

As I understand it, the re-released parts are designed to be extremely faithful to the original with only very minor changes made in order to protect the collector market. I can't find it right now but soon after the RC10 was re-released, someone posted a video on youtube showing both cars with box-art bodies side-by-side and I swear you could not tell them apart. Identical twins. It's only under close examination focusing on very specific areas of each part can you identify the re-released part. That said, IMHO, If I were to sell my dad's Edinger, I would feel obligated to disclose which parts are not vintage.
Doug

TomiS
Approved Member

Post by TomiS »

I've been trying to find a painted Protech body but haven't really found anything. Do you know anyone who could paint me either box art body or something else? I've seen some UltraHIVE painted bodies and they are just great! Is he still doing them as I've been trying to cantact him with no success. I know if I paint the body myself it will be quite shitty at best.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Ultrahive doesn’t like us anymore. I sent him an email a month ago asking about motor stickers and got an immediate reply, and he hasn’t responded since. I’d recommend someone else.

Andy is an amazing painter, but he is always backed up so it’s hard to predict how long it could take.

There are a lot of good painters out there and I’m sure a lot that are local to you. Check with the local track, I bet they have a guy that would do it for a good price
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

TomiS
Approved Member

Post by TomiS »

Ultrahive eventually replied and I ordered a body from him. I have never seen anything like his paintings and I really like his art. While I'm waiting for the body to arrive I disassembled the whole car and everything looks good. Now I just need to clean everything and put it back together.

Image_TJS6236 by Tomi Seppälä, on Flickr

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

It's a shame ultrahive doesn’t come around anymore but I'm sure he has his reasons.

I always enjoyed seeing his work....
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

It is a shame, damn that dude is talented. Love his styles.

Nice restoration, should be a beauty!

TomiS
Approved Member

Post by TomiS »

I found him from Instagram and looks like he's still painting. He had a few painted bodies to choose from but only two were Protech's.

I try to keep the car as original as I can and looks like I don't need to change any of the parts, everything is like new. I found a new old set of ball bearings but that's all I'm going to use.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yes, that really cleaned up nicely, beautiful example!

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Happiness is having a really clean vintage RC10. :mrgreen:
Well, that and a really good dog. :D
Doug

TomiS
Approved Member

Post by TomiS »

OK, this is where I'm at now. I got the car as a roller and next on the list is speed controller, I need to rewire the whole thing and find some connectors. Body should be on its way atm so this is soon done.

And as I don't have enough posts to write to classified section, I'm asking here. Does anyone know where can I get good RC10 Graphite? I had one as a kid and still should have it somewhere, I just cant find it. I have the box, manual, spares and all, and that would make a perfect pair to this. So if you have or know one for sale, please let me know!

ImageRC10 by Tomi Seppälä, on Flickr