Lonestar's RC10 OIN - turned B1M Racing chronicles (Race #3 on P.7)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mk-Zero
Business Member

Re: Lonestar's RC10 OIN - turned B1M Racing chronicles (Race #2 on P.5)

Post by mk-Zero »

The car looks great, looks ready for battle!

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: Lonestar's RC10 OIN - turned B1M Racing chronicles (Race #2 on P.5)

Post by Lonestar »

Here is the track : slow and technical as usual !
IMG_20180224_083651562.jpg
So far after resseeding i am 9th :shock:

The first qualifier is wasted, i popped a ballcup :cry: that was a 43s lap... :evil:

While it was not broken i could run with tje bottom half of my race though. That s awesome !

Qual #2 in à few minutes !

Edit : great qual2, ended up 5th overall with à zero-,,mistake run. I am 5/10th slower per lap than Tq but very consistent. I popped that samedi ballcup again at the finish Line... So will change these Inès!

Q3: nous improvement, everyone was actually slower... So i stand 5th overall! I'm do stoked... And another 40 guys are VERY PO'ed :mrgreen:

Mains will start shortly. So far, i Can Say i've already more than ticked the box :lol:
IMG_20180224_141124789.jpg
Edit 10:30 pm @GMT+1

both mains were sub-optimal, i was a bit too greedy... too many mistakes. I am 7/10ths slower than the top dogs, but I can still hold my own with the top-half when I don't do silly mistakes, at each race I was running 3rd or 4th at some points . Both times I ended up 8th (running at 9 drivers per main) in the end due to my silly mistakes, the car was superb. No chewed spurs, no popped ballcups, just fingers that weren't as fast as the top guys and a car that doesn't run similar lines to the others.

Overall, this was a fan-freaking-tastic day! I will share some more thoughts next weeks. Off to bed now :)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: Lonestar's RC10 OIN - turned B1M Racing chronicles (Race #3 on P.7)

Post by Lonestar »

Right, now with a few more minutes than on D-day at 10:30pm :lol:

Basically, with the 1.6 pistons rear, the car was really good, 5th qualifier overall is not too shabby when you have 45 guys, most of them racing a few times a month at least the first ten, with the top 8 or so being national top guns and pan-continental racers. Mr EOS, part of the Yokomo factory team was here again, and I out qualified him btw as he ended up in the second series :mrgreen: He would have won the race overall though as he climbed his way back up to TQ, but there was a massive (and unacceptable) pile-up at the end of the second a-main, and he lost it all there and finished #2 overall (adding both mains). I am proud to report I was NOT part of that mess (for once :mrgreen: ).

I started with the shocks second inner hole on the tower, but then went to second outer at the second qualifier. It settled the car very nicely, but also the new tires were probably breaking in too, which sure helped.

The front shocks could have beneficiated from a 2x1.7mm piston instead of 1.6mm which I think was a tad stiff even with 32.5WT. I was too lazy to do that job, as well as worried this would cost me well-needed stability and corner-entry performance.

The A&L steering was game-changer, frankly, especially after I installed brand-spanking new RPM (blue... all I had left!) ballcups after the first qualifier pop. The car feels "natural" with it, most slop is gone. If you're running any OIN I can only recommend you pick one up from @GoMachV , it's well worth the money (this is an unsponsored message!)

The handling was great, frankly. The car is VERY easy to drive, which does help consistency, and it was absolutely royal through fast chicanes and in the 2+2 (with a turn in the middle). Forward grip was just as good as anything else, probably the MM4 design compared to MM3 for most cars these days. I think the slower sections lacked a bit, though.

A couple of seasoned B-mainers who looked at the car (and marshalled us) did mention that the car entered in the turns very nicely, but was a bit slow at the exit, probably not squaring up as fast as the other top cars. Then again, maybe not bad a solution for someone who races 3x/yr and doesn't have lightening fast reflexes.

Not many pictures to share this time, as it was pretty much uneventful for me, I could focus on the driving... as well as wrenching for my son who finished dead last, but with all my admiration (the other kids run often, plus he was the only one running a RM 2wd with a mabuchi, the others all had 4wd with 10.5'ish mills :roll: )
IMG_20180224_150036374_HDR.jpg
Concluding on this season: the car IS competitive - and I have to admit I am surprised about it...- but probably not up to the top-notch level. One of the top dogs came out to chat after my fast qualifying round and his analysis was that my car was helping them realized they probably weren't using their cars to their full potential, as they would (rightfully) expect a newer design to be more competitive on the track - I was probably using 99% of the car that day, while they were stuck at 90%. It did change during the main though, as I totally lost it :roll:

Talking about what to do with the car, and seeing how robust it is, and how it's already paid for, I'm thinking it might very well be my son's ride for next year (we only run offroad the indoor winter season, we do mostly onroad usually), but back with the small bores and the RPM steering (or maybe even a worlds'). I don't like to handle 4wd's over to young kids as I think it doesn't teach them to drive smooth, on top of usually needing more wrenching (from Dad).

One last pic with the last vintage AE shirt of the season:
ShirtIMG_20180224_152018880.jpg
Over and out !

Paul

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Now one year after... Time to update the thread ;)

Having scratch the OIN/B1M racing itch i then moved to B6.1 in for the 18/19 winger season. But no later than this week I pulled out the B1M from his shelf to get it to run again, as saturday I'm driving to a track :D that is going to close at the end of the month :( . Given that it's a 5hrs round trip during the day, and I'm taking my 9 y.o. with me and his turnigy buggy, I don't want to get stuck there with nothing to run in case we break something on the other side of the country (switzerland is small). Net, I did a shakedown run with the B1M at 10pm on a very slippery (1degC) driveway to make sure all is ok, and guess what... everything is, and it runs like a champ, very balanced and nicely behaving!

(night picture)
OINB1M.jpg
I can only recommend that conversion to anyone, really - fantastic way to ressucitate an old classic!

(edit: my soon drew the "hypnotic" lines on the wheels... :lol: )

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Glad to hear she's going to get some more track time Paul, warms my heart! 8)

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

mk-Zero wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:50 pm Glad to hear she's going to get some more track time Paul, warms my heart! 8)
Thanks Brian - the original rear arm mounts didn't quite resist my son's assaults though once he broke his "normal" car once already and I had to fix it :lol:
broken b1m.jpg
On the track the car was ok-ish but was flipping over (super high-grip carpet). I tried it and frankly struggled a bit really, I think the damping and RC's were not right on this higher-speed track. Again, the car requires too much development to be adapted to modern conditions, and as I'm not racing that often and don't have a practice track (we drove 5hrs that day to play 8hrs with our toy cars...) I can't justify it hogging $200 of electronics that'd be used with other cars.
scamora.jpg
Net - I think the car will be retired as shelfer for good this time - it has proven its worth, but I have more runners that I can run, really!

Soon it will recover its small-bore shocks as the big-bores will go back to the Blue is Better TRX-1, it will be LWB forever (see pic above :mrgreen: ) electronics will be moved to other runners, and it will finish its life on a stand (an 8th scale used wheel, really :mrgreen: ) as a well-deserved, calm retirement!

Was a fun adventure nonetheless. watch out for the final retirement pics soon :)

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

This was a really cool read!

Thanks for sharing.
*** POWDER - KING ***