Driver for set screws in #6801 front axle conversion kit

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Peter_B
Approved Member

Driver for set screws in #6801 front axle conversion kit

Post by Peter_B »

So, I fitted a #6801 front axle conversion kit, including securing the axles to the hinge pins with the provided set screws, then found one of the axles was out of spec and wouldn't accept the wheel bearings.

I have a replacement axle but, coming to swap it in, I can't remove the set screw from the axle. None of my driver's fit. The 0.05 is too small, 1/16 too big as is a 1.5mm one.

Obviously I fitted them somehow, but can't remember what I used.

What size driver should be used for those screws?

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Driver for set screws in #6801 front axle conversion kit

Post by scr8p »

Should be an .050.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah, should be .050, you might have to really jam the allen in there to get it to catch, they are so small they suck to work with. if you have a cheap allen key, it could also be stripped out, they aren't very strong.

Peter_B
Approved Member

Post by Peter_B »

In that case I think it's screwed (excuse the pun).

The 0.05 doesn't have any effect at all.

Looks like I'll have to get a drill bit in the Dremel and try to drill the screw out without damaging the hinge pin.

I only need to loosen it enough to be able to get the pin out. So frustrating!

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Sometimes this will work...

Take a .050 allen key and put some CA glue on the tip of it, insert it into the grub screw and wait till it cures. Try to remove it.
Bum on Direct Deposit

Peter_B
Approved Member

Post by Peter_B »

NomadRacer wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:36 am Sometimes this will work...

Take a .050 allen key and put some CA glue on the tip of it, insert it into the grub screw and wait till it cures. Try to remove it.
Giving that a try. Just waiting for the glue to cure.

Peter_B
Approved Member

Post by Peter_B »

Glue didn't work and I don't have the necessary parts to mount a small enough drill bit in my Dremel.

I do have some spare steering knuckles and hub carriers. Just ordered some spare king pins. So worst case I can rebuild with new parts.

Ucsdmutt
Approved Member

Post by Ucsdmutt »

They do make drill bits to back out stripped screws, that might work?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

0.050" is really small so an easy out that size will be super brittle. If the 0.050 is too small, force the 1.5mm in there, that should be 0.058". If that doesn't work, you can support the c hub and carefully tap out the pin, it will likely damage the pin and possibly axle and c-hub.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

If your trying to use a L shaped Allen, but a quality set first. Chances are the wrench is more stripped than the head of the screw. You will continue to have issue if your using the cheap stuff.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Peter_B
Approved Member

Post by Peter_B »

GoMachV wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:35 pm If your trying to use a L shaped Allen, but a quality set first. Chances are the wrench is more stripped than the head of the screw. You will continue to have issue if your using the cheap stuff.
I have a reasonable quality driver set, not top quality but we'll above the cheap stuff.

I've tried getting a 1.5mm in there but it won't go.

I am currently waiting for JB weld to cure on a cheap Allen that I've JB welded into the screw, in the hope that the JB weld holds enough to get the screw loose.

The axle is already toast, but I'd like to salvage the pin, steering knuckle and vintage c hub if I can. I just need a couple of turns on the screw to get enough room to get the pin out.

I'm not going to fit the screws going forward. The original Team Car didn't have them in that location. I didn't fit them when I originally fitted the axles, then I thought that maybe I should. Regretting doing so now.

Frustrating thing is, I didn't do them up with excessive force. So I'm not sure at what point the screws got chewed up. The other axle was in a similar state but I managed to use a 1.4mm screwdriver to get that one out.

Perhaps, seeing as I've had problems with an axle and now the screws, I just got a duff conversion kit.

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

If your going to keep at this hobby, be it racing or collecting re-building RC10's buy quality drivers: MIP and Hudy are the best, and will save you allot of heart ache.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Yup, and I’d be willing to bet I could get that partially stripped screw out with my old MIP driver right now :wink:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Timmahhh
Approved Member

Post by Timmahhh »

GoMachV wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:51 pm Yup, and I’d be willing to bet I could get that partially stripped screw out with my old MIP driver right now :wink:
Really, the bits are that long? Why didn't you do this in the first place instead of letting him struggle?!

I would agree that MIP and Hudy are probably the best, but I also can't remember the last time I stripped a screw, so I don't personally feel a need for those yet. I do think that drivers with a machined tip, especially on 2mm / 5/64" and smaller, is pretty much essential though.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I guess I was just burned by the “decent” ones- my Hobby King set and my Associated set were both garbage. Stripped screw heads like crazy. Never an issue with the MIP. I ran the Thorp back in the day, essentially the same exact tool also with no issues except getting greedy once and snapping a tip off
Factory Works website