Ronbo's Original RC10 w/Hot Trick front

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ronbo
Approved Member

Ronbo's Original RC10 w/Hot Trick front

Post by Ronbo »

Ok, here is a start to the rebuild of my original RC10 A stamp from 1986/1987 time frame. I suspect most of the RC10s out there have unique and storied history's. This one has one as well. My first RC car was a Tamiya Hornet, and only was 'raced' as we formed our club in my hometown. I managed to buy/trade for this RC10 from one of our racers (adult, I was a teenager) when he, Larry, wanted the Yokomo 834 Dogfighter. I raced it in my hometown, oval and off road, until I left for USAF. Sometime in 1989 or 90 I was able to start racing again in Clinton, NC where I won my first race, oval, with this chassis. Not with this body, as I had changed probably a couple by then. I believe the motor was a Losi Revolution Stock, which I think I still have. I raced it up until I got the Graphite Team Car (next build up article) and/or Composite craft Worlds car. Then it was onto the black Tub Team car.

After the dumb purge of half or better of my cars in the early 2000s, I knew I was going to restore this car and put it on the shelf. Which is good, since I had a lot more parts than I thought. But I also found out I don't have a lot of parts either, especially since Ive added 3 of the 5 chassis I sold BITD.
This car had the Hot Trick front tower and nose plate already on it, and that's how I ran it, so I never ran the stock nose plate setup. The previous owner also had the big silver boxy Zeta speed control. Although I have never seen one in person since other than pictures. I had the original box and manuals, but those are long gone. Front and rear anti roll bars I feel are a unique setup. Most of it will be original as in pictures, but I do have several orders of parts incoming to help complete this as well as the others.
Plan is to clean it to run and shelf queen most of the time. The body is original, but I think I'm going to replicate the scheme the best I can, plus use some of the extras like the KC daylighter plastic fog lamps and plastic knock offs, which I still have! More to come as I get the parts in.
20180207_041551.jpg

Ronbo
Approved Member

Re: Ronbo's Original RC10 w/Hot Trick front

Post by Ronbo »

20180313_152030.jpg
Quick picture, Ive received some parts plus hardware via my local Fastenal dealer. Ive started the build per the original manual. I took the 6 gear apart, has some unusual wear on one of the gears, but is in good shape otherwise. Once I find time, this build should go quick. I tried my hand at cleaning the original white parts, but not as white as some of the new old parts I received. Also picked up a set of front tires and rims for a JJH build.

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Nice,

Should be a good project,

Please keep the pics coming!

:)

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Same here, keep this thread updated!
Ronbo wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:55 am Once I find time, this build should go quick.
that's the story of most of our lives, too... don't fret, in a couple of years, you should be done :mrgreen:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Ronbo
Approved Member

Post by Ronbo »

Worked my way through the manual assembling the car per instructions until I arrived at the dogbones. These are the ones left after my MIP 4wd build. These are longer than those 2 I used in the MIP build which I knew, but when I tried to install them into the this RC10, they are way to long. I'm wondering if they are Yokomo? More pics of the build when I can clean off the work bench that doesn't look cluttered.
20180403_013842.jpg

Ronbo
Approved Member

Post by Ronbo »

HotTrick1.jpg
HotTrick1.jpg (88.09 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
HotTrick1.jpg
HotTrick1.jpg (88.09 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
HotTrick2.jpg
HotTrick2.jpg (83.4 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
HotTrick2.jpg
HotTrick2.jpg (83.4 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
HotTrick3.jpg
HotTrick3.jpg (90.05 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
HotTrick3.jpg
HotTrick3.jpg (90.05 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
Donorcars.jpg
Donorcars.jpg (95.02 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
Donorcars.jpg
Donorcars.jpg (95.02 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
After a lot of personal things that went on since I started this thread, here is where Im at so far. Next up is the body. The donor cars I just got off Ebay, and both cost less than most available gold tubs on there. So I did good, I think. Good thing I did, as I really needed some parts these 2 cars had.

I assembled the car per the original pdf file on the Associated website. When it came to installing the servo, I noticed I was missing a front hole. The Hot trick nose plate on my car needed to be extended, and I found the modified nose tubes and installed them.

The esc is a Novak 4, but seems to not work, and I checked with the T-4 I had, the electronics I got from the donor cars work (Airtronics XL2P) but tends to glitch. I will try later with the associated tc4 radio I have and see.

Anyway, I remember I also, as a teenager, ran the manual speed control. Luckily, the one donor car has one. Which also I found out that I must have never ran the battery front to back, as there is no holes for it. sooo, I just went side to side as shown and guessed as where I put the receiver.

More to come, as I also want to work on my 10T.

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

Welcome back bud good stuff going on there.............................
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

Ronbo
Approved Member

Post by Ronbo »

Here is the repro body I painted ( I forgot how much painting sucks) from Penguin. I copied the wing setup that came with one of the donor cars as it was similar to what I remember having with this body. Big wing, oval style before I went with a viper or protech 2 style and conventional wing. Ill find some Fox decals like the original body, but not worried about it right now. Unless vintage takes off around here,(adding modern electronics) I consider this project done.
Attachments
IMG_20191208_165112.jpg
IMG_20191208_165103.jpg

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

Looks good brother glad you finished her up.............................
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

Hey, that took less than two years! Nice looking car!
Chris