Help Me ID this old RC10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Merc1973

Help Me ID this old RC10

Post by Merc1973 »

New here, Cool site! Im 39 so I grew up with these old RC cars with my older Brother. He built a sweet super fast RC10 with circle track body, I Started out with a Kyosho Ultima and then a Big Brute. Not sure if they are still at my parent's house or trashed.

Any ways, Over 25 years ago I found from old tenants left behind at my family's property What I believed to be an after market RC10 chassis with red/purple suspension/diff. It was missing motor receiver/speed controller and had a broken front wheel. 10 years ago I bought a new motor, battery pack, found my old Futaba receiver and Futaba speed controller and tried it out. Worked nicely, still needs shock seals and diff cover and rebuild and new front wheels/tires. Any ways here are pics. Does anyone have any info on this model/parts? I checked out the Team Associated website progression of RC10 models and didn't see this one.
Attachments
HKuNXM7.jpg
64Zn7cK.jpg
lizzXcK.jpg
k7Y7cpi.jpg
7XqoZAQ.jpg

Basher67
Approved Member

Re: Help Me ID this old RC10

Post by Basher67 »

Composite Craft/Raceco foam core chassis, Any's front arms, litesink motor plate, and a lot of red dye.

Merc1973

Post by Merc1973 »

Basher67 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:58 pm Composite Craft/Raceco foam core chassis, Any's front arms, litesink motor plate, and a lot of red dye.
Are these rare aftermarket parts? They guy who left it was big into RC racing. So all other white plastic was dyed red to match the front arms?

I have never seen aluminium steering components like that.

Edit: I just saw the thread of your collection! I see one like it! :D
Wow, you collection brings back memories....Awesome!

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=41839

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Yes I have a car with similar components. The chassis are fairly rare. They were not as popular as the full graphite chassis since they were cheaper and not as durable. Still, a very cool vintage upgraded chassis. The litesinks are getting harder to find. The aluminum steering bellcranks are pretty common and are still being produced by a couple companies.

Merc1973

Post by Merc1973 »

Basher67 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:25 pm Yes I have a car with similar components. The chassis are fairly rare. They were not as popular as the full graphite chassis since they were cheaper and not as durable. Still, a very cool vintage upgraded chassis. The litesinks are getting harder to find. The aluminum steering bellcranks are pretty common and are still being produced by a couple companies.
Good to know! Thanks, you've been a big help. I would like to get this back and running and keep it a rest-omod as is. I have been out of the loop of RC cars since the 90's and i see things have changed. I have some questions.

Parts list:
-RC10 classic style buggy body/wing and front body mount

-Front wheels and Tires. It has the "CE" wheels like yours, but dyed red and one front is broken. Will the 1.9" JCconcepts work? or the Neon Associated? Should I do the conversion kit? I dont want the original 2 piece since they don't match the rear.

-Wheel bearings, not sure which ones? AE sealed bearings for classic RC10?

-Good diff cover?

-Diff rebuild with new bearings? I'm not sure what brand is inside now. Probably just open up and clean as it feels gritty. What is a good number of teeth for the drive gear for multipurpose use.

-Shock rebuild. A front one has a leak, will the AE kit work?

Let me know of any recommendations or opinions...

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Be very careful when removing everything from this chassis. They have inserts at the screw holes and if they come loose and spin with the screw, it can be very difficult to remove without damaging the chassis. The wheels on my red rc10 are actually Pro-lines that have been dyed black. CE or championship edition wheels are a 3 piece front and back. Jconcepts makes wheels for the rc10 as well as some others. It really depends on personal preference and what size tire you want to run. I like JC racing wheels. They are a 5 spoke 2.2" wheels that lets you run modern tires. There are also conversions to make your buggy a 12mm hex hub on the front and rear. Those can easily be found all over this forum. I would disasemble the trans, clean it thoroughly, and do an inspection of all components before deciding what might need replacing.

Merc1973

Post by Merc1973 »

Basher67 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:35 pm Be very careful when removing everything from this chassis. They have inserts at the screw holes and if they come loose and spin with the screw, it can be very difficult to remove without damaging the chassis. The wheels on my red rc10 are actually Pro-lines that have been dyed black. CE or championship edition wheels are a 3 piece front and back. Jconcepts makes wheels for the rc10 as well as some others. It really depends on personal preference and what size tire you want to run. I like JC racing wheels. They are a 5 spoke 2.2" wheels that lets you run modern tires. There are also conversions to make your buggy a 12mm hex hub on the front and rear. Those can easily be found all over this forum. I would disasemble the trans, clean it thoroughly, and do an inspection of all components before deciding what might need replacing.
Thank you. Do the grey shocks look like the RC10 Worlds shocks?

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Not sure about the shocks. there are some real rc10 gurus around here who can probably I.D. them for you

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

The shocks are hard anodized associated team shocks. You should be able to getting all of your replacement parts from Associated directly, start with the 'classic' manual for trans rebuilding. Steering bellcranks are rps/losi

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

RPS = Ranch Pit Shop

:)

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Shocks look like they may have been a later addition. Did you add them when you added the motor and electronics?

I'd date most of the car at 1988/89 but the shocks with the plastic caps would be from '94/95.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

The plastic caps and black clips looks like a set of b3 shocks maybe.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

FYI
My Graphite Team Car bought in early 1990 has plastic shock caps.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

jwscab wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:22 pm The plastic caps and black clips looks like a set of b3 shocks maybe.
I think you're right about the age...those do look like the B3 plastic caps...but I think the fronts look like .71 length shocks.

Bottom load golds would be the "right" shocks for that car. Or Kyosho Golds. :wink:

Merc1973

Post by Merc1973 »

Phin wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:30 am
jwscab wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:22 pm The plastic caps and black clips looks like a set of b3 shocks maybe.
I think you're right about the age...those do look like the B3 plastic caps...but I think the fronts look like .71 length shocks.

Bottom load golds would be the "right" shocks for that car. Or Kyosho Golds. :wink:

Thanks for the clarification one terminology.

You're right, they are .71 hard anodized! I found the box of my old stuff last night. Cheap shocks at $28 when I bought them. I did replace them, it had been so long I forgot... I found the old gold tubes in a plastic bag along with other goodies I will post pictures of here. Are the plastic cap shocks better than the Gold tubes? Should I rebuild the golds and install them?
eIibz3W.jpg
Rebuild kit
ig4OTmT.jpg

Found my Radio controller and some other "Vintage" goodies from my childhood.
Attachments
3kFcUwF.jpg
sqReVr6.jpg