12mm hex conversion

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vinmansbrew

12mm hex conversion

Post by vinmansbrew »

So, I got 2 old rc10s, an original, and I think the other is a worlds; stealth tranny, wider front arms, ect. Anyways, not worried about worlds or not. I left the hobby years back, life and such. Now getting the things running again. Ok, so enough backstory.

Issue is that typical rc10 rims are not overly common now. So, I am thinking about converting to the 12mm hex. Obviously the rear is no problem, but the front seems "odd".

I'd like ideas on what people have done. I heard something about using b4 knuckles and axles, but I haven't seen an actual setup, to see how things work. What other things have people tried?

jwscab

Re: 12mm hex conversion

Post by jwscab »

with the re-release of the worlds car, you can easily find 2.2" wheels for whatever you need. the rear wheels are direct fit, no hex. The fronts are bearing fit B4 style, so with the B4 offset, you need the 'truck' style axles.

https://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/6805W-ASC6805W-rc10_2_2_in_rear_wheels_3_16_in_white/
change part number to 'y' for yellow

https://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/9688-ASC9688-b4_front_wheels_2_2_in_yellow/

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-associated-rc10-front-wheel-conversion-asc6801/p267635?gclid=Cj0KCQjwn-bWBRDGARIsAPS1svu8LX6IGXdtEuraqWN3nHc_X2FpR-tBIrAde5GFnU44tmVJ7AxmDo4aArtOEALw_wcB

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

JC Racing makes some nice 2.2 5 spoke wheels that I have used and like a lot. If you want to switch to 12mm hex front, just get the front components for a B/T 4.2. Doing this mod is very straightforward. You can find complete front component sets on ebay from disassembled RTR T4.3's pretty cheap. If you're planning on running a brushless setup, its not a bad idea to switch to the slipper clutch found on these same cars/trucks.

transamman908
Approved Member

Post by transamman908 »

Basher67 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:44 am JC Racing makes some nice 2.2 5 spoke wheels that I have used and like a lot. If you want to switch to 12mm hex front, just get the front components for a B/T 4.2. Doing this mod is very straightforward. You can find complete front component sets on ebay from disassembled RTR T4.3's pretty cheap. If you're planning on running a brushless setup, its not a bad idea to switch to the slipper clutch found on these same cars/trucks.
The b4.2 hubs and carriers work but the Aren't the T4.2 axles longer than the b4.2 #7496 axles? Finding the 7496 axles lately is tough find. AE shows Sept. for availability and thinking they will be discontinued.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Yes the truck axles are longer and use the thicker 12 mm hex. It's a 4mm difference. So if you use the truck axles/hex, your total front width will be 8 mm wider. Depending on the backspacing of the wheels you want to use, this could be used to your advantage. I included this pic so you can see both side by side.
Attachments
DSC02782.JPG

vinmansbrew

Post by vinmansbrew »

Heh, I think I'll just dig up wheels that fit. I didn't know the worlds car was re-released. That being the case, I'll just pick a up a couple sets of front and rear and call it good!

vinmansbrew

Post by vinmansbrew »

Ok, so I decided to dig this back up, my post I can do that! :D

So, for the b4.2 parts, I would need the steering knuckle and carrier, and either the b4.2 or t4.2 axles, correct? Those would most or less fit into the current A-arms? Then just change the tie rod length to suit.
Hex wheels are so common that it would probably just be best to get these parts for the future.
I have found b4 wheels, however.