6623 Diff Bushings

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Raman
Approved Member

6623 Diff Bushings

Post by Raman »

I picked up a fairly clean original A stamp RC10 from eBay. Cosmetically the car was pristine. It wasn't until I opened up the 6 gears trans that I realised that it wasn't all that pristine. When I removed the spur, noticed the car had 1 diff ring only. Trans had 2 bearings only, the rest were bushings. So I took it apart and ordered parts.. but managed to forget one small items! The darn 6623 diff bushings. ARG!! Its been ages since I built a six gear, so when I pulled it apart and I didn't notice that the diff tube was missing the bushings.. only when I went back to re-assemble it, it dawned on me something was wrong.

So these darn bushings are holding me up.. found some on line for $2.99 + $7.99 shipping lol.. ouch so it got me thinking.. if I am going to pay $10 for them.. maybe there is a bearing that can take its place? Does anyone know what size bearing that would be ? Im really bad at imperial / inch measurements..

Thanks!

bluewormx
Approved Member

Re: 6623 Diff Bushings

Post by bluewormx »

There are no bearings available in the necessary size. :(

There was a after market diff tube with the outboard bushing replaced by a bearing but the diff tube is slightly larger and takes a 1/8 x 1/4" bearing, But that doesn’t help you ;P

Raman
Approved Member

Post by Raman »

Thanks for letting me know.

Are both bushings the same size? The one on the pinion side seems smaller in diameter than the diff tube side.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Those are the Teflon bushings? They are pretty much tubing. They are the same size but one gets trimmed. I think you can find Teflon tubing you can cut into lengths.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Found myself in a similar predicament once (no teflon bushings) and ended up making a set from aluminum rod that I had. Yeah, aluminum doesn't make a perfect bearing but it works okay in this application. The diff only spins while the car is cornering and then it really doesn't spin fast. Anyway, I just applied a little grease (careful not to allow the grease to mix with the diff lube) and it's still working today.
Doug

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

Both bushings are identical: ID x OD x HT - .125(1/8") x .2(13/64") x .125(1/8") The originals are teflon(PTFE) the ReRe are something else.