HISTORY OF THE RC10T

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

marlo
Approved Member

Re: HISTORY OF THE RC10T

Post by marlo »

Jim85IROC wrote:
marlo wrote:Those tires (pro 45) came on the first runs of the #7001 truck. Rears are non marked pro 90
For some reason, I'm continuing to obsess over the 7001 tires. I was just going through some of the RC Car Action magazines from 91, and made an interesting discovery. The August issue had the Cliff Lett prototype truck that's shown in the beginning of this thread, and it's got the skinny tires and the Pro 90 rears. What was interesting is that the November 91 issue had the very first review of the production truck, which I would assume was a very early build. The pictures clearly show the 7820 rear tires, and the text specifically calls out the 7820s, as well as the 7871 narrow fronts and the 7870 wide fronts. It seems that if the early 7001s really had the Pro 90s and Pro 45s, that this review truck would have had them. If some trucks really did ship with that combo, it had to be very, very few.
First lots only, not really sure why, but my guess is, they were waiting for the "norm" tires to be pressed out.

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

I would just like to say this and nobody believes me and I have no proof except for my memory.... When the RC10T first came out, a friend of mine received one with a gold tub and gold nose plate. Only reason I remember this is because we both got ours at the same time and when we both opened them up he was really mad that his came gold and not black. It was super odd and I have asked about this but nobody ever recalls a gold chassis RC10T.
Never saw one since.....
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

rraeford
Approved Member

Post by rraeford »

It's always possible that they made a mistake in packing or got some parts back that were the wrong color and decided to ship them anyway. Many years ago, I posted pics of my blue-anodized A stamp chassis pieces that I bought from Associated in an online clearance sale. There was much discussion about it and then it was decided that I had gotten it wrong and they must have been redone by someone else. I ordered them. I know where they came from. I don't really care if no one believes me. It's not important. It's not like I took a picture of Bigfoot. I think the blue parts look really cool and look great in my collection. I worked in a hobby shop on the weekends in the early 80s and we saw all kinds of kitting mistakes.

jeepy2013
Approved Member

Post by jeepy2013 »

So what were the approx. years for the 10T ? (early ,late, B stamp, C stamp?) Just curious.

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Hope you're doin' something fun.

jeepy2013
Approved Member

Post by jeepy2013 »

yes, I did read the thread and yet some how I missed it....lol That's what happens when your distracted. :?

Twistedaxle
Approved Member

Post by Twistedaxle »

rraeford wrote:It's always possible that they made a mistake in packing or got some parts back that were the wrong color and decided to ship them anyway. Many years ago, I posted pics of my blue-anodized A stamp chassis pieces that I bought from Associated in an online clearance sale. There was much discussion about it and then it was decided that I had gotten it wrong and they must have been redone by someone else. I ordered them. I know where they came from. I don't really care if no one believes me. It's not important. It's not like I took a picture of Bigfoot. I think the blue parts look really cool and look great in my collection. I worked in a hobby shop on the weekends in the early 80s and we saw all kinds of kitting mistakes.
Associated gave their team drivers factory blue anno tubs. I've seen a few , in fact I think Tom Stacey has his for sale right now

Twistedaxle
Approved Member

Post by Twistedaxle »

Awesome info! Does anyone have any pics of the prototype? Or the body mold?

Cr500

Post by Cr500 »

ThNks for the info. I bought a 10t in mid '92, and I specifically remember the narrow front tires, and only have two shock positions on top, so i likely had a mid 7001 it sounds like. Plus my box and manual looked like that one, i even found the receipt other day for it, paid 174.00 shipped. I never knew they made a 7035, i always thought what i had was it, until the rtr came out, i had a guy give me a 10t and some misc parts for it about 6 years ago, it looks to be a b stamped 7035.
Rc10t
Rc10gt

EMC
Approved Member

Post by EMC »

Whats up with the offset battery tray holes on the early #7001 kits? Was that a production mistake? I see no practical reason those holes would be intentionally offset. I ran into an example of this on a truck someone posted on vintage rc10t on facebook. They couldn't figure out the battery fitment with an offset tray. :)

Incidentally, my #7001 that I bought in 92' with the later stealth brace has the in-line countersunk battery tray holes with no offset holes. I can't find a stamp on it either. Maybe mine was a late anomaly.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

A Stamp and early B stamp had that, it was because originally the battery was to run inline and they needed the clearance for the throttle servo alongside it. The layout they ended up with didnt need the offset as they ran it crossways.
Attachments
The Original RC10_Page_05.jpg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

EMC
Approved Member

Post by EMC »

What were the default shock pistons that came with the truck team shocks? 2 or 3? The manual shows ASC6464 as the part number but no markings are on the pistons.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

I think the original pistons were closer to a #1.

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

RC10T # 7014,
Attachments
RC10T # 7014 End Lable.jpg
RC10T # 7014 Box Art Body.jpg
RC10T # 7014 Box Interior with clear body shell.jpg

DaveM
Approved Member