Another RC10GT-E Build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

OUTLAWD
Approved Member

Another RC10GT-E Build

Post by OUTLAWD »

After some inspiration from mAdMan's high speed build, I decided to throw together some parts I had laying around while waiting on parts for my WC Re-Re build. I'm trying to not let this one spiral out of control too much...

RC10GT RTR
Castle 2200kV and MM2
DynoTech plate
32p gears, 26/54 for now, have a 35 pinion on order
DS1903MG with a custom mount
5 degree caster blocks
lexan battery tray

I temporarily connected the electronics yesterday, and drove it around on 2S before it started to snow. The pan was already turned to swiss cheese by a previous owner, so I didn't feel too bad adding 2 more holes. I moved the servo to make room for 4S or 6S worth of stick packs should I have the courage/space to test it. Still need to get the springs, ride height and alignment sorted. I have some 0 degree rear arm mounts coming next week as well and want to make a tower-trans-pan brace. Not sure if I will stick with the 1/8 scale road tires on the H-R 17mm conversion, or try to source some foams in the pursuit of traction. Thinking I'll go with a Roadkill of SuperMod body on it.

I just found another blue pan listed locally...might throw it together to have some fun with the T5M guys at the track
Attachments
IMG_0955.JPG
RC10 WC re-re / SC10.2 / RC10 CE / 2x RC10GT-E / Futaba FX10

OUTLAWD
Approved Member

Re: Another RC10GT-E Build

Post by OUTLAWD »

Seems that the T5M body fits the GT OK. a little long in the nose, but not a problem here . Was at the LHS and took some measurements and came home with a new lid. The PL Bulldog lines up pretty good and clears the RTR rear shock tower nicely, not sure how the narrow ones or the stock front posts will work, but I didn't have them anyway.
Attachments
50595177988__8A822597-807A-44D1-B695-5A5FB5DF95B3.JPG

OUTLAWD
Approved Member

Post by OUTLAWD »

After a run-in with a curb, I had to replace a rear arm mount. I had a set of aluminum 0 degree mounts on order anyway, so I just waited a week for them to show up. I was kept occupied buttoning up my WC re-re build in the mean time.

The factory dogbones were borderline being too short, so I pulled an axle assembly out of my SC10 to size it up. As we know, they are a little too long. I had the Associated kit to convert the 1/4" to 3/16" axles, but the bearings were very loose in the plastic hub. I looked at a spare pair of alloy hubs I had for my SC10, and saw the perfect solution to have a 3/16 axle, readily available B4/T4/SC10 axles, and a hub that would hold the bearings. I opened up the hinge pin hole in the hub to accept the 1/8" pin, and slammed it back together. The hub is pushed out further with respect to the outer hinge pin on the B4/T4 part, so I can now fit the longer axles.
IMG_1805.JPG
I also mounted some hexes so I could try some Jaco foams. The PL Strikers I was running would balloon at the smallest sign of wheel slip and I would loose all contact patch. Driving was a bit like hitting a banana peel in mario kart, and i never hit over 50% throttle. The foams are a little hard, but hopefully they will work out. Also got the T5M body mounted and rough trimmed. I am trying to leave as much of the body intact as possible to provide some aero benefit. I know its absurd to talk about an "aero" truck body, but I couldn't live with myself if I put a car body on the old GT. No idea what I will do for paint yet...

This morning I re-worked my battery tray to accept 2 2S shorties. My old design protected for 6S, but I will never need that kind of voltage, 4S should suffice. The batteries are lower and sit well within the chassis, and the shorties are a bit lighter than the full sticks I was running, so it should be a win/win.

I was running 26/54 gearing, but ordered a 35T pinion from Kershaw. USPS decided I didn't need it, so I think Kershaw is sending a replacement.
Attachments
IMG_1808.JPG
IMG_1807.JPG

OUTLAWD
Approved Member

Post by OUTLAWD »

I was bored yesterday so I cranked up the heat in the garage and threw some color on the shell. My last visit to the LHS resulted in an unplanned purchase of some old discounted rattle cans of Pactra Purple Crush. I was originally going to paint the shell silver, but wanted to give this purple a shot after looking over some images of finished results. I sprayed the entire thing with the purple pearl, then faded some silver on the rear quarters. The "purple" only shows up with a black backer, so I applied black to the front half. Blacking out the roof/bed was a bit of a necessity after I rushed it a bit and put a scratch in the bed when I went to mount it on the body the first time. I always get impatient and tend to needlessly rush towards the end. When I started I didn't really have an end goal in mind, but it came out OK, especially considering the abuse this thing will see. One of these days I will find my airbrush and lay down a proper paint job on a NIP Interceptor body that is laying around.

I also finished fitting the belly pan/splitter. I ordered some foam fronts from Gone Bananas, if it will ever stops snowing I might actually get a chance to drive this thing.
IMG_1812.JPG
IMG_1820.JPG

OUTLAWD
Approved Member

Post by OUTLAWD »

Got this running a few weeks ago, and tested it out on 2S...clocked it at a drama free 45mph and everything was ice cold after a couple runs. Plugged in 4S and things were a little less manageable. The parking lot at work wasn't quite long enough to get the power down.

Picked up some foam donuts and fitted them to ST front rims...the skinny buggy tires just didn't have the grip I would like. First time gluing foams, and I trimmed the inner rib off the wheels, turned out OK, now I just need to true them.

Also picked up another project to build into an indoor runner. If I was smart, I would just get a T5M...

Another RTR RC10GT pan to electrify. If someone has a need for .18 OS parts...I no longer need them...haha
IMG_1857.JPG
Needed quite a bit of cleaning, but got about as far as I could before I needed to order some parts. Rebuilt the diff and replaced the destroyed idler, installed some RPM arms and -3/-2 rear arm mounts, and a carbon rear tower I got for cheap from AE. I started mocking things up, but want to make a beefier trans brace and support the motor plate. I originally was thinking to send the pan out for purple anodizing, but I will see how it performs before i make it too nice. It will likely get a ST-15 body with a retro-ish paint job.
IMG_1859.JPG
IMG_1861.JPG

OUTLAWD
Approved Member

Post by OUTLAWD »

Made some progress on #2

Picked up a Tower ST-15 body. Not sure if I will narrow my rear tower, or trim the body to clear.

Got the topshaft shims I needed to button up the trans, mounted the motor plate, and started working on the rear brace. I used a strip of CF to extend the trans brace to include the brake bracket bolts and incorporated a B5M "waterfall" brace in front of the motor. Seemed to stiffen up the rear quite a bit. I also used the B5M battery strap tab for my battery hold down, provided a clean, simple solution. Had to make new nose tubes as the original ones were mangled, so I drilled and tapped some alum tubing I got from Tower.

Also have SC10 front and rear hex conversion and dyed some DE wheels purple to hopefully match the purple paint job it will eventually get.

Took it out for a spin in front of the house and it drives well, the gearing is really conservative at the moment with the 4600kV Sidewinder setup, and everything was cold after 5-10 minutes. Seems most guys with this layout end up with really stiff front springs to prevent unloading the rear, and I noticed the rear got very light, so I might need to find some stiffer springs. Ended up at 1860g total, so I might look to trim some fat and/or redistribute some weight depending on how it handles at the track.

I have a set of V1 threaded rear shocks, and some V2 fronts, but I am half tempted to steal the big bores off my SC10.2 and try them out on this.
Attachments
IMG_1869.JPG
IMG_1867.JPG
IMG_1866.JPG

OUTLAWD
Approved Member

Post by OUTLAWD »

Made some progress last night.

Started converting it to 12mm hexes all around. I was unsure the T4 dogbones would be long enough, but it worked out great. I just had to use some spacers on the axle to move it inward a bit to keep the bones in the outdrives.

Rear
STRC 0 deg hubs drilled out for 1/8" hinge pin
AE 9678 CVA set SC10/T4.1
2.80" turnbuckle to replace the 2.62"

Front
SC10 trailing steering block
B4 caster blocks I had laying around, the SC10 30 degree units were too much. drilled to accept 1/8" hinge pin

Brings it to a hair under ROAR ST width with DE T4.2 wheels and Dirt Webs.

I also built up some shocks. I had a set of 1.39" V1 threaded bodies, so I put those together and eliminated the shock plate that bolts to the control arm. Adapted Big Bore springs with the traxxas spring saddle. Up front I assembled some 1.18" bodies with 1.02" shafts, only needed a small spacer to set the droop where I think I want it. I need some heavier springs up front, but these will get big bore springs too.

Some street testing showed dramatic improvement with the new setup. I just need to glue the tires, and sort out the body/paint.

I think he is a member here, but there is a Youtube user "doctormosfet" who I referenced for the initial setup...Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_1875.JPG
IMG_1874.JPG

OUTLAWD
Approved Member

Post by OUTLAWD »

All the big pieces are done, just need to find some time to hit the track.

My Badger 105 arrived yesterday, so I got a makeshift painting area set up and toyed around on some paper for 5 minutes, then decided to paint the body. It is a mixture of airbrush and rattlecan depending on what form I had which colors, and was a learning experience for sure. First time using liquid mask as well...I will never go back to tape again. I used VAE's recommendation, using fineline tape then liquid mask on top. Not sure why I left the rear clear...but I dig it.

Also mounted the wheels/tires and refurbed some turnbuckles and used purple RPM cups. Just need some decals to finish it off...

Thinking something like the original RC10GT design, but replacing GT with TM
IMG_1933.JPG
IMG_1934.JPG
IMG_1935.JPG

firebird1999us
Approved Member

Post by firebird1999us »

Beautiful truck!

OUTLAWD
Approved Member

Post by OUTLAWD »

Thanks!

This will be a runner, so I didn't make it too nice figuring that I would need to change the layout depending on how it drives.

We have a new offroad indoor carpet track I want to try out...just not sure what I should do for tires.

RemC

Post by RemC »

Nice build. Any other additions after you've installed the truck wheels and tires?

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Wow, how did I miss this where it went to a stock square body. Looking good.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Nice looking trucks. That first one looks wild! :shock: I am in the middle of reevaluating my gt conversion. I felt it was very traction limited on dirt and while it had decent performance on the turf off road track, it was not everything I wanted it to be. I've since added big bore shocks from a FT T4.2 and set the ride height to 18mm allong with the shumacher turf tires. Used some 12 mm wheel hub adapters in the rear and b 4.2 front hub assemblies in the front to change over to 12mm. I'm going to the track tonight to do some testing. The next step will be to cut off the front of the chassis so that I can bolt on a GT2 front end. This will allow me to use the front gullwing arms, wide shock mount etc from my FT T 4.2. My chassis also has a bit of a swiss cheese thing going on, so I don't mind cutting it up to experiment. :mrgreen:
Attachments
DSC01488.JPG