New to me T4.2 Factory Team Kit

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Basher67
Approved Member

Re: New to me T4.2 Factory Team Kit

Post by Basher67 »

I didn't even pay attention to what pistons were in the front shocks. "Springy" is probably the wrong word, as it makes them sound like tamiya friction shocks. They are very smooth. They just have a faster rebound than I was initially looking for. I couldn't find any 3 deg. rear mounts for the 10T, but I did find some 3 deg. rear carriers at my lhs. I installed those and reprogrammed the esc to medium power. Initial back alley pavement testing shows promising results. The 10T is much more in control and even though it will still wheelie on command, it is much more controllable and even a sudden unexpected wheelie can be brought down under control before it flips or even scrapes the rear. I'm heading to an indoor turf off road track this afternoon to practice and do some real track testing with both trucks. I have an 87t spur in the 4.2 and an assortment of pinions as well as 2 motors. I picked up a reedy 3300kv motor with a couple cars I bought recently. I have it installed in the 4.2 and am curious how the performance will differ between a $40 reedy 3300kv and a $20 "ebay cheapy" 5200 kv. The real fun will be to see the difference in handling between the 10T and the 4.2. I even got the wife to agree to being my marshal for the afternoon. :mrgreen:

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Well, I'm home from the track and I'm going over the damage. I started with the 4.2 and the truck's performance is impressive. It handles the jumps so smooth and predictably. It corners like a slot car, but is not forgiving. It became evident that my skills need to improve to keep up with the abilities of the truck. The track currently has a 180 degree hairpin that is vertical about 10 ft. or so up the wall. Reminds me of the old tyco cliffhanger slot car tracks. Alot of fun, but a great opportunity to bust your ride. I didn't carry enough speed up the wall and came tumbling down. Now the first two pics you see here is the damage that occurred. I know it's just a busted ball cup and I should be happy that it cracked and didn't bend the titanium tie rod, but I couldn't help noticing how crappy the quality of the cup was. It's made of cheap brittle plastic like I've seen on the cheaper chinese off brand cars. This is on a Factory Team edition truck? Looks like I'll be swapping all of them to RPM's. So at this point it was time to bring out the 10T for some laps. I was pretty happy with the way the old truck was handling. While not quite as razor sharp around the corners, it was much more forgiving. It did take more effort to keep it level over the jumps but some of that I blame on the motor. The uncensored motors seem to suddenly pour on the power at the worst times. The motor (R.I.P.) was a learning lesson today. The longer length of the 3660 size motor fell victim to something harder than it's can somewhere on the track. The pic tells the story. Too much unprotected motor sticking out. The dent was enough to lock up the motor solid. Some day I'll run out of battery power before I run out of trucks :roll:
Attachments
DSC09565.JPG
DSC09564.JPG
DSC09566.JPG

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Here's some pics of the new body mounted on the 4.2. Nice snug even fit after cutting the reliefs in the hood for the shock tower. The goolrc motor on the 10T seems to be ok despite the big dent in the can. One of the little screws holding the spur gear came loose and bound between the spur and pinion. I guess that was the funny noise I heard. :roll: :lol:
Attachments
DSC09584.JPG
DSC09583.JPG

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Threw some paint and decals on it tonight. Also added an RPM mini front bumper. The factory one was so small and flimsy that I don't know why they even bothered. I added a little more preload on the rear shocks. Now I need to get back to the track and get some more practice.
Attachments
DSC09586.JPG

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Nice work, the important thing is you are out there and having fun.

Ucsdmutt
Approved Member

Post by Ucsdmutt »

The price on that thing was a steal! I've noticed parts seem more brittle and cheap compared to back in the day as well, I guess that is just how things go right? Great job on hte paint! Those relief cuts are very interesting looking! Glad it works, I never liked the front cab on the truggies, but I like them on the buggies...

My very first graphite RC-10 was a truck conversion that I converted back to buggy, that was in the 90s before truggies existed, I should eventually get one myself.