Finally Built a Stock 10T

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Basher67
Approved Member

Finally Built a Stock 10T

Post by Basher67 »

I started building this out of my pile of 10T parts with the intention of selling it, but now that it's nearing completion, I don't think I can part with it. I have other 10T's. Mostly modified with era correct upgrades and custom painted bodies. I never really had the drive to build a stock "box art" truck, but this one is really growing on me and I just don't think I can let it go. :roll: Not sure about the exact colors on the box art, but I gave it a shot. Not sure about the shocks. I've seen them with gold ano shocks and with the color I have here. Curious which one was original. Decided to go with a compliment of Novak electronics and a nice, practically new, Twister mod motor. Front bumper is an RPM, but the rest is pretty much stock. Waiting on the decal set from MCI to finish the body. I'll post some more pics when I get the decals on and some vintage cells soldered up.
Attachments
DSC03590.JPG
DSC03591.JPG
DSC03592.JPG

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Finally Built a Stock 10T

Post by GoMachV »

first version, 7001. Came with those shocks and wheels as well as dogbones in the rear and bearings. A 7011 came later, a sport truck with bushings and gold shocks. Then the 7035 Team truck with one piece wheels, team shocks, and universals at the back and bearings.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Truck looks great!
Bum on Direct Deposit

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Thanks guys. Good info Jeff. I wasn't sure on the dogbone/universal/cvd thing either. I went with the dog bones, but I have the other 2 options laying on my table as well. I thought the cvd's might be aftermarket, possibly MIP, so decided to save them for a more "non stock" build. Box art style paint job was real hassle. I couldn't find any info on the exact colors or stripe width etc. I went with Duratrax metallic blue, metallic red, bright white, and silver streak along with black for the shading in the rear. Masking off the rollbars in the rear is a huge PITA! I couldn't get my fat fingers in there to line up the masking tape. I used 5mm tape to mask the silver lines that seperate the different colors. Might be a little wide. Hard to tell from looking at the actual box art. After staring at pics online and trying to measure using references of body lines, I decided they had to be around 4-5mm thick. The red is possibly a bit darker than the true box art, but I really liked the metallic blue/metallic red combo, and I was pretty happy with the results

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Great looking truck. Nice work on the paint. The box art is deceptively hard to do.

The shock bodies you have are the hard anodized, and an upgrade over the gold units.

sbednara
Approved Member

Post by sbednara »

Nice work!!
RC10 Championship Edition
Tekin Rebel ESC
Fantom Motor

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Well, I got it pretty much wrapped up. It's not exactly box art, but similar, and I'm happy with the results. As far as MCI decals, I've been pretty happy with them in the past, but not so much with this decal set. I started ordering my decals from them with the "coating" on them which makes them look even nicer, but if you need to stretch the decal to go around a contour or corner, the clear coating separates from the decal and ruins it. Also, their 10T decal sets are incomplete if you want to do an actual box art body. I had to go back to my hoard of stickers and get some of the missing ones from left-over sticker sheets from old 10T's and RC10 buggys. I'm still happy overall with MCI's products and will continue to use them, but these factors should be taken into consideration before purchase. Anyway, this truck is now a permanent part of the collection and looks right at home with my other AE cars and trucks. I couldn't help notice the wife shaking her head while I was making room on the shelf. :lol:
Attachments
DSC03927.JPG
DSC03928.JPG
DSC03929.JPG

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Looks fantastic!!!
Bum on Direct Deposit

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

I think a stock team truck with the white plastics is one of the best looking RC cars, ever - at least without the body.

with a nicely painted body, they are in the Top 3 8)

This one's awesome!
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

jcwrks

Post by jcwrks »

Basher67 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:21 pm Thanks guys. Good info Jeff. I wasn't sure on the dogbone/universal/cvd thing either. I went with the dog bones, but I have the other 2 options laying on my table as well. I thought the cvd's might be aftermarket, possibly MIP, so decided to save them for a more "non stock" build. Box art style paint job was real hassle. I couldn't find any info on the exact colors or stripe width etc. I went with Duratrax metallic blue, metallic red, bright white, and silver streak along with black for the shading in the rear. Masking off the rollbars in the rear is a huge PITA! I couldn't get my fat fingers in there to line up the masking tape. I used 5mm tape to mask the silver lines that seperate the different colors. Might be a little wide. Hard to tell from looking at the actual box art. After staring at pics online and trying to measure using references of body lines, I decided they had to be around 4-5mm thick. The red is possibly a bit darker than the true box art, but I really liked the metallic blue/metallic red combo, and I was pretty happy with the results
Add universals and a carbon tranny brace and you've basically turned it into a #7035 Team Truck. Awesome build by the way. :D
The official TX SKUNK

blk05wrx
Approved Member

Post by blk05wrx »

Love it! Great job.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Since the decals more reflect a "team truck" I changed the trans brace to the carbon fiber one and went with the MIP cvd's. I just can't help myself---I always prefer the era correct upgrade parts. :mrgreen: