Vintage RC 200 ?

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

o0zarkaWater

Vintage RC 200 ?

Post by o0zarkaWater »

New to the forums and the hobby.

Wanted to post some pics of the car I picked up off Craigslist last week.

Most likely not the best one for a first timer, but once I saw this car I knew I had to have it. I LOVE the look of this thing.

Best I can tell (from the box!) is that this is some sort of Associated Racing RC200 or something around that time frame. Late 70's, early 80's.

I actually e-mailed the guys over at Team Associated to see if they had any info on this guy and they sent me over here. I had posted this on RCNitro last week, but nobody there seems to have any info or even want to reply.
Fullshot 1.jpg
I want to try to restore and drive, while keeping as close to original as possible.

It's been put up in a footlocker since the early 80s so it's quite original.

The seller didn't remember much about it, so all I have to go by are the rc200 boxes it came with and pics I can find online.

It came with a footlocker full of extra parts so I think I should have most everything to get it running. Even has what looks like another full RC200 chassis.

I know that I will need to buy a battery pack, as the seller took it off once this thing was in the box for a couple years and didn't want it to explode. That's my first real question. What would the best way to figure out what type of battery pack this thing needs?

I've sent off an e-mail to a local RC Tuner to get a quote from him to see what it would take for him to get it running. I would love to learn it myself as well, but also kind of just want to run this thing.
CaseOff1.jpg
Chassis 1.jpg
Das Tank.jpg
engine front.jpg
Direct Drive1.jpg
Rear End1.jpg
Remote Back.jpg
Remote1.jpg
I'm here to learn, so please let me know if I'm missing something or have this in the wrong place.
Attachments
Associated Box.jpg

RC10resto

Re: Vintage RC 200 ?

Post by RC10resto »

Welcome.
You are in the right place with a very nice car.
But, if were mine it would be cleaned up and shelved.
If you want to get it to run for a demo drive that is fine, but if you really want to run it I think you have the wrong car.

You have a semi-rare car with some hard to find parts that looks to be in great condition.
I am sure you will get some advice from several members.

Nice find, thanks for sharing!

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Wow, that's quite a find! Should clean up nicely!

o0zarkaWater

Post by o0zarkaWater »

RC10resto wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:35 am Welcome.
You are in the right place with a very nice car.
But, if were mine it would be cleaned up and shelved.
If you want to get it to run for a demo drive that is fine, but if you really want to run it I think you have the wrong car.

You have a semi-rare car with some hard to find parts that looks to be in great condition.
I am sure you will get some advice from several members.

Nice find, thanks for sharing!
Thanks!

After the searching I've done in the last week I was kind of expecting an answer like that.

I certainly do not plan on running this thing into the ground!

I would love to clean it up and at least drive it a time or two, but mainly keep her as a shelf queen.

Still looking for info into the electronics on it, but is there any good way to figure out what type of battery it needs just for the RC control/servos?

The seller did mention something about the differential being a big deal back in its day. Looked through goldenyearsrc and a few other sites with pictures and can't find a differential anywhere that's the same.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Howdy,

Fantastic find :shock: and a bit worried about what's gonna happen from then on. It's a bit like you told us you saw a guy flying a Cessna at the airfield and you just went out to buy a barn-find F4U Corsair and you're asking whether it flies on diesel or gasoline :mrgreen:

Answer to your Q: it needs a standard 4.8V battery receiver pack - which is a "standard" that's been abandoned quite a while ago for 6.0V packs, but is still find-able:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenergy-4-8V-2000mAh-Flat-Receiver-RX-NiMH-Battery-Pack-11001/390914417634?epid=2254339264&hash=item5b0450a3e2:g:E90AAOxygj5Se-l~

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenergy-4-8V-2000mAh-Square-Receiver-RX-NiMH-Battery-Pack-11002/390936767141?epid=22012277645&hash=item5b05a5aaa5:g:xWwAAOxyzi9Se~lU

Your real issues will be the following: all plastics are going to be brittle, including the radio parts (servos...), the engine needs a full disassembly and cleanup as it's totally gummed up after sitting for 30yrs, that (absolutely lovely!) seminal Kraft radio could work, but chances are the components in it might have drifted and it will be glitchy as hell (assuming it works at all), tires are rock hard and you will need to fit new ones on these vintage rims, as soon as you break it (it might break "by itself"...) you will be stuck with no spares parts, the connectors will be different from what you can find in 2018 (see the links to the two packs above...), the clutch parts are probably shot and not available, and so on so forth. This is without even getting into getting to grips with a Nitro car (be it modern or vintage, but vintage is even worse) "from scratch" outside of an RC club/track...

I am not saying it cannot be done - but like my fellow forum members here I'm thinking you could possibly have underestimated the amount of work and knowledge involved to make this run. Let alone talking about whether that Holy Relic should be run at all (I think it shouldn't unless you are attending a vintage 1/8th scale convention...)

But it looks like you have your mind made up already, so we'll try to help :) ...

... But you can still change your mind, sell this beauty and make money on it, and buy a modern car with no hassle and put a vintage can-am body on it (they are still around).
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

Yes, it has an uber rare gear diff which is one on the rare parts RC10resto was mentioning in an earlier post. I can't tell what make it is but I don't think it is the Associated GD so most likely an AMPS which was available for the RC200 but it's hard to tell from the pictures you posted. I agree with Resto not a car to run on a regular basis and probably a car better suited for a restoration and a front-line spot on the shelf. Anyway great find and welcome to the forum.

This is all very interesting!

o0zarkaWater

Post by o0zarkaWater »

Thanks for the replies.

This is exactly the type of information I was looking for.

I am in no way dead set on running this thing, just thought it would be a fun thing to drive if possible. Since there was not much info I could find online, and no response after 60+ views on the other forum, I wasn't sure if it was a rare find or just an old find. Super glad Richard from Team Associated sent me over here.

The tires are actually still quite soft and the footlocker had many spares inside, but I don't want to break any critical or impossible to find parts so we will stick with cleaning and shelving this for display. The thought of selling it so I could buy something r2r, or a kit that would let me learn how to build these had crossed my mind. I think however as I get more into the hobby I would regret that decision in the future to lose this unicorn I came across.

Tonight I will post up pics of the other parts in the box to see if maybe I could work on building up the spare chassis into a working machine. Or would that original chassis, if I do have all the original parts, also be rare and something I don't want to build on?

I knew this was a big leap for a first car, and I've already purchased a Rustler that is running which will satisfy me for now, so I am totally fine preserving this for what it is. Identifying all the parts would be fun though and maybe I can work on that and make a post for information sake or someone else who may come across one similar like I did.

Thanks again for the replies, glad to be here and start learning. I promise I will work on getting an RC10 so I can fit in a little better ;)

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane »

Or you could use the knowledge available here to clean up and fix up your RC200 into a nice shelfer... And then if you have lots of parts for it left over (it sounds like you will), then you can sell the leftover parts and have a nice chunk of change to invest in another vehicle, and still have the 200.
:)

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

I think this is your diff and in an article in a French mag it was identified as an AMP gear diff. This must be an early version as there a slightly different version which was anodized red sold specifically for the RC200. Also I have the RC200 manual and catalogue in .pdf format if you would like just can't post on here because of format.

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=15644&p=152929#p152948

This is all very interesting!

o0zarkaWater

Post by o0zarkaWater »

a01butal wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:49 am I think this is your diff and in an article in a French mag it was identified as an AMP gear diff. This must be an early version as there a slightly different version which was anodized red sold specifically for the RC200. Also I have the RC200 manual and catalogue in .pdf format if you would like just can't post on here because of format.

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=15644&p=152929#p152948
Great link!

Thanks for that info and the manuals via e-mail.

Since there does seem to be some interest in this guy, I'll get around maybe this weekend to pulling out and figuring out all the extra parts in the footlocker which includes a possible complete RC200 chassis in pieces. Now that I have the manual from a01, I might could put that together!

Unfortunately no complete second motor or differential. :roll:

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Congrats on the find. Yes the gear diff is the early version of the AMPS.

A note on the Kraft radio. If you really want to drive this car, the old radio is far from being a safe option. Those old radio glitch much more than current radio.
Another problem is, the use of old radios like this is prohibited in a lot of countries because they don´t comply with todays regulations. I don´t know for the US but in Europe you can´t use this.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Yeah,

I'm the guy most of the modelers around here love to hate because I say drive it...but even this car I would have a hard time "lightly running" because of how low it sits. Not like a buggy or truck that would clear the ground big time but it could be done. If you had enuf to do a complete other car minus motor and gear box you are almost there. Even with a franken-runner though I'd go with what was said above. Get some modern radio gear, a throttle return spring, and a 6 volt receiver pack and run it for what it was intended for 8)

It is a nice find in that kind of shape anyway. I picked up a buttugly 300 from one of our members here off of ebay because I just liked the idea of it and wanted to see it up close so I know how this stuff happens :mrgreen:

keep us posted on the cleanup/resto. We don't get near enuf traffic in this section :wink:

Todd

p.s. and welcome to the board
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Taylorm
Approved Member

Post by Taylorm »

o0zarkaWater wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:04 pm New to the forums and the hobby.

Wanted to post some pics of the car I picked up off Craigslist last week.

Most likely not the best one for a first timer, but once I saw this car I knew I had to have it. I LOVE the look of this thing.

Best I can tell (from the box!) is that this is some sort of Associated Racing RC200 or something around that time frame. Late 70's, early 80's.

I actually e-mailed the guys over at Team Associated to see if they had any info on this guy and they sent me over here. I had posted this on RCNitro last week, but nobody there seems to have any info or even want to reply.

Fullshot 1.jpg

I want to try to restore and drive, while keeping as close to original as possible.

It's been put up in a footlocker since the early 80s so it's quite original.

The seller didn't remember much about it, so all I have to go by are the rc200 boxes it came with and pics I can find online.

It came with a footlocker full of extra parts so I think I should have most everything to get it running. Even has what looks like another full RC200 chassis.

I know that I will need to buy a battery pack, as the seller took it off once this thing was in the box for a couple years and didn't want it to explode. That's my first real question. What would the best way to figure out what type of battery pack this thing needs?

I've sent off an e-mail to a local RC Tuner to get a quote from him to see what it would take for him to get it running. I would love to learn it myself as well, but also kind of just want to run this thing.

CaseOff1.jpg
Chassis 1.jpg
Das Tank.jpg
engine front.jpg
Direct Drive1.jpg
Rear End1.jpg
Remote Back.jpg
Remote1.jpg

I'm here to learn, so please let me know if I'm missing something or have this in the wrong place.
Welcome to the site, heck of a find for craigslist! Those diffs are damn near impossible to get ahold of! I would do a mild clean on it and shelf it. Thats rare coming from me as i believe our stuff is made to run, but i wouldn't want to jack up that diff. If you want one to run find another RC300 (preferably with ball diff) and run that as parts are a LITTLE easier to find. or modern pan cars can be had. We race the modern stuff here in Northwood, Ohio. Last year i ran my RC300 that i converted to double reduction with a belt drive.

o0zarkaWater

Post by o0zarkaWater »

Thanks again for all the great replies.

100% not going to try to run this thing.

Here are some pics of the other stuff that came with it.
All Tires.jpg
Tires Side.jpg
Tires 2.jpg
Chargers.jpg
Carb2.jpg
Carb 2 2.jpg
Carb1.jpg
Carb1 Side.jpg
What looks like is probably at least a 90% RC200 kit.

Some parts may have been used to fix the other car at some point, but overall it looks like most of the pieces are here in new/unsused or slightly used condition.
rc200 Parts.jpg
Attachments
rx200 Parts2.jpg

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

those early slide valve carburetors are awesome! I cant remember the maker, I want to say Thorp but it doesn't sound correct.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website