RC10LSO that I couldn't pass up

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GeneralZod
Approved Member

Re: RC10LSO that I couldn't pass up

Post by GeneralZod »

Kept them soaking for several days. I didn't want to leave in too long for fear of degrading the parts or causing them to chalk. They look white enough to me. Then soaked them twice with water only in the sun to leach out remaining peroxide. Cleaning up the bumper in peroxide now and see if it works on it as well.
Attachments
20180612_112101-1024x768.jpg

GeneralZod
Approved Member

Post by GeneralZod »

Most of the screws had quite a bit of rust on them. I thought, why not try to save them too! After soaking them for a week in liquid wrench, they were still covered in rust. So I went to plan B and soaked them in white vinegar for 5 hours. That certainly did the trick! The rust came off without any scrubbing. The little cup you see is what they were bathing in. Rust-B-Gone!
Attachments
20180613_183426-1024x768.jpg

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Great trick with the vinegar!
Bum on Direct Deposit

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Vinegar? Is it really just that simple? Is the bath in Liquid Wrench necessary beforehand? I'm always removing or finding rusty hardware on used RCs or parts lots. I hate throwing them away because they are mechanically functional, just an eye sore. I still need to pick up some gun metal blue stuff, too.
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

I've had great success with this cold gun blue ... https://vansgunblue.com/
Bum on Direct Deposit

GeneralZod
Approved Member

Post by GeneralZod »

matt1ptkn wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:47 am Vinegar? Is it really just that simple? Is the bath in Liquid Wrench necessary beforehand?
Yes, soaking them in 100% white vinegar dissolves the rust. I thought the liquid wrench would have taken off all the rust but didn't. It did help with the removal of the screws but simply wasn't strong enough to react with the rust. The vinegar will take it off, you can even see the chemical reaction taking place even only 10 min into the soak. It's something I have used in the past for rust removal for classic car restorations. I recommend checking the parts frequently, as you don't want to leave them in the vinegar for days on end. Experiment 1st on a few to gauge how long to let them soak and see how they turn out before dumping the whole set into the cup. Then rinse with rubbing alcohol to remove the remaining vinegar and coat them in a light machine oil if desired. I live in a dry region so the oil step is usually not needed. The gun metal stuff would be good to use to bring back the black color to the screws after the alcohol bath. In my case, it wasn't needed. :P

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Great info. Thank you!
Matt

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

GeneralZod
Approved Member

Post by GeneralZod »

Found a good deal on a few tires. Some good for practice and others good to race. Just going through and matching them up. Need to soften some up. I tried wd40 on one set and put them in a zip lock bag to see if it works. Any good tips anyone have to recondition them?
Attachments
20180618_171536-1024x768.jpg
20180618_192151-768x1024.jpg

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

GeneralZod wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:30 am
matt1ptkn wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:47 am Vinegar? Is it really just that simple? Is the bath in Liquid Wrench necessary beforehand?
Yes, soaking them in 100% white vinegar dissolves the rust. I thought the liquid wrench would have taken off all the rust but didn't. It did help with the removal of the screws but simply wasn't strong enough to react with the rust. The vinegar will take it off, you can even see the chemical reaction taking place even only 10 min into the soak. It's something I have used in the past for rust removal for classic car restorations. I recommend checking the parts frequently, as you don't want to leave them in the vinegar for days on end. Experiment 1st on a few to gauge how long to let them soak and see how they turn out before dumping the whole set into the cup. Then rinse with rubbing alcohol to remove the remaining vinegar and coat them in a light machine oil if desired. I live in a dry region so the oil step is usually not needed. The gun metal stuff would be good to use to bring back the black color to the screws after the alcohol bath. In my case, it wasn't needed. :P
This is great, thanks! I have some parts i need to do this on!

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

GeneralZod wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:27 pm Found a good deal on a few tires. Some good for practice and others good to race. Just going through and matching them up. Need to soften some up. I tried wd40 on one set and put them in a zip lock bag to see if it works. Any good tips anyone have to recondition them?
A "few" tires... :lol: I've often found that "truing" the hardened outer layer off the old tires usually brings them back to life. I've also been told that Jergen's hand lotion works great. Seriously. lol.

Is that a Ben Franklin Stove??
Matt

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Does Trinity still sell Tire Tweak? That worked alright from what I remember.

vandal
Approved Member

Post by vandal »

water babies suntan lotion :)

GeneralZod
Approved Member

Post by GeneralZod »

matt1ptkn wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:13 am
GeneralZod wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:27 pm Found a good deal on a few tires. Some good for practice and others good to race. Just going through and matching them up. Need to soften some up. I tried wd40 on one set and put them in a zip lock bag to see if it works. Any good tips anyone have to recondition them?
A "few" tires... :lol: I've often found that "truing" the hardened outer layer off the old tires usually brings them back to life. I've also been told that Jergen's hand lotion works great. Seriously. lol.

Is that a Ben Franklin Stove??
Yeah, just a few... :D They were almost free, and they needed a new home. My son was saying the same, "Just a few, Dad?" Took a while to get them matched up and sorted. Went and picked up the Jergens extra dry hand formula to give a try, lol! Never heard of trying that before. I also lightly trued some and they cleaned up nicely.

You are sharp! That is indeed a Ben Franklin Stove. My favorite spot during the winter is sitting in the chair next to it and soaking up the heat.

GeneralZod
Approved Member

Post by GeneralZod »

Most of the parts needed to bring the car back to original configuration now arrived! I can finally put this thing back together and give it a spin. Not on the beach though. :?
Attachments
20180625_213607-1024x768.jpg

lmw94002
Approved Member

Post by lmw94002 »

Sweet job. It's on my never-ending list of projects to build up a 10L && 10LSS like I ran back in the day.

I have used apple cider vinegar in the past to remove rust. However it does also tend to remove the black oxide coating from steal hardware too. After all, rust is an oxide too. :)
--
RC10CE 6-gear, RC10 Team, 10L, 10LSS, Worlds, B2, B4 TC, FT TC3, Nitro SC8, SC18, RC18LM, FT SC10.2, Worlds-ReRe, B6, B6D
--Builds--
SSC10 build - http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=41740