RC10B2 shock help

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Erack

RC10B2 shock help

Post by Erack »

Hi guys!

Just now getting back into RC cars, had a Tamiya Fox back in '85, and new to the forum. I have acquired a RC10B2 and am in the process of rebuilding it. Besides shocks everything is stock with the exception of the FT Low Friction Ball Cups and FT Ceramic Diff Balls. I am missing one 8437 steering turnbuckle, can't seem to find them anywhere. I can find the 8437 turnbuckle for the LS but it is only 2" and the original 8437 ones for the RC10B2 are 2.4". If I can't find any I will get a fully threaded turnbuckle from Du-Bro even though I don't want to. :(

Now for the main reason for this post. The shocks that are with this buggy are NOT Associated shocks. I don't know what they are. The front ones are shorter than the back ones as they should be but they are too long as I can't get the ride height to where I want it, arms level with the bottom of the nose plate. The top holes on the shocks that mount onto the shock bushings are too big for the bushings and the springs are too stiff. I have no idea what the original owner was thinking when he put these shocks on there. Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for shocks that will fit and work properly? It doesn't have to be Associated brand. Will the V2 shocks work without too much trouble? What mods would I need to do to make them work?

Thanks in advance!
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right. -R. Hunter

jwscab

Re: RC10B2 shock help

Post by jwscab »

post some pics to help out when you can.

the b2 buggy used the 1.32" rear bodies, and .89" front shock bodies.

you should be able to find these items on ebay used/new pretty easily as parts or whole shock assemblies. the front are the same size as b3, b4 and the rears are the same as rc10, b2/b3.

best bet is to download the manual from associated under 'discontinued models' and check it out.

associated also sells the blue titanium turnbuckle as far as I know, or you can also get lunsfords in any length you want.

Erack

Post by Erack »

Thanks for the info.

As far as the blue titanium they don't have any in the 2.4" that I can find, but will look some more. I will check out lunsfords as well.
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right. -R. Hunter

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

something close is all you need. there is some adjusting range. if you get them slightly longer you can also trim them with a grinder or dremel tool.

b3 turnbuckles will also work. in fact, b3 are usually decently priced used rollers on ebay quite a bit, and will have many parts that you might need for spares. the arms and hubs are different, but everything else is a functional replacement.

Erack

Post by Erack »

Good to know. Thanks for all your help!

Erack

Post by Erack »

jwscab...will the V2 RTR .89in bodies (Part #: 9680) work for the front or do I need the stock .89in shock bodies (Part #: 9310)? The specs tab on those V2 don't list any model but the B4.2. Just wondering if they would work. Also, if they do fit is there really a reason to go with them over the stock ones?

Erack

Post by Erack »

Will this work? 9606 .89 Threaded Shock Kit - optional Factory Team Threaded Shock Kit for the front of the Associated B4 series? I found a good deal on that kit but don't want to pull the trigger if it is not going to work for my B2. Thanks in advance!

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

v2 style have a different seal on them, so if you go with those bodies, you need to be sure to get all the rest of the parts to seal, both the caps and bottom seals.

these are the direct replacement parts:
https://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/9310-ASC9310-front_shock_body_89_in_stroke/

of course, you are starting from scratch, so you need all the parts anyway.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yep 9606 would be perfect.

Erack

Post by Erack »

Thanks so much. I think I will go with the 9606 but it looks as if that kit comes with the 1.02" stroke gold shaft and the stock are the .71" stroke shaft. Is that going to be an issue for the B2? If so I can purchase the .71 shafts separately.

Thanks for dealing with me asking so many questions, hopefully I am not being a pest.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

i don't think they have 1.02" shafts, they should be .71 in that kit. 1.02" shafts are definitely used in the rear shocks though.

Erack

Post by Erack »

Sounds good, thanks.

broodenburg
Approved Member

Post by broodenburg »

If you'r spending cash and if you are not to keen on authenticity, I would opt for the V2 shocks as used on older B4 models (B4.2 uses big bores if i'm correct). The V2's are easier to service and are easier to ajust due to the tread.

Erack

Post by Erack »

Thanks for the recommendation. However I had already ordered the 9606 FT replacement shock kit. They are also threaded.

Erack

Post by Erack »

This is a front shock kit for a T4. It has 1.02" stroke shock shafts.

https://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/9633-ASC9633-ft_1_02_in_threaded_shock_kit_complete/

The B2 rear shocks uses a 1.02" stroke shaft according to the manual. Will these shocks work for the rear on my B2?

Thanks in advance!