RC10 On Road Conversion

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Atlas
Approved Member

RC10 On Road Conversion

Post by Atlas »

Hello All, trying to put together a six gear RC10 for running on smooth surfaces and have some of questions. I was hoping members here could help me out.

Here is what I have/like to use:

Six Gear RC10 w/ short front arms and one hole front/rear shock towers from Re-release kit
Andy's oval rear body mount
Custom Works dirt oval form tires
Custom Works Open Comp Camaro body or Custom Works Street Stock Camaro body

Here are my questions:

01. What is a good front body mount to use for those two Camaro bodies mentioned above? I'm aware of Andy's, RPM, JG, and Speedy, but are there other ones on the market?

02. Will I need a lowering kit to run either of those two Camaro bodies? Will those two bodies clear the stock shock towers without giving me a lifted/off road look? If a lowering kit is needed, which kit works best? From what I gathered lowering kits are available from JG, Bolink, Mcallister, and Speedy. Are there other options?

03. Will the wheels stick outside of the car body? I will be using a Custom Works 0.125 spacer on the back using 3/16 axles.

04. On a side note, I know there are a few pan car front end conversions kits for the RC10 (i.e. Lucas Agitator, Hyperdrive, etc), but was there ever one that uses a RC10L front end? Also could you mount a 235mm GTP bodies with these conversions or will it not clear the transmission/rear shock tower?

Thank you in advance.

Phin
Approved Member

Re: RC10 On Road Conversion

Post by Phin »

01. Bolink made a body mount kit for on road/dirt oval bodies too. Not usable with a McAllister lowering kit if you go that route though. Your best option would be an "oval" bumper from Andy's, JG, or RPM that have holes for body mounts. They'll give the most body support.

02. You'll at least need to cut down the rear shock tower to use short shocks and add some limiters inside the front shock bodies. Dirt oval street stock and late model are built with taller sides than 10L style pan car GTP bodies so you might get away without needing a front lowering kit.

03. Not sure on this one but my guess is they will a little.

04. J-Car made one that used the old 2 hole 12e/i/l front arm mounts. Much later on Lightz made some with left offset batteries for oval racing. These conversions were good at mounting pan car bodies at the front but not great at the rear for GTP bodies. Especially if you wanted to use 2" wide pan car foams. Rear shock towers would get in the way and rear wheels would stick way out. :?

Atlas
Approved Member

Post by Atlas »

Phin, thank you so much for your detail information.

Would anyone know where I could find a template for cutting/drilling new mounting holes to shorten the rear shock tower?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

you could actually use a DS rear tower, which would also have a rear body mount set on it.

I think there might be a rcca article for on-road conversion that might have a drawing of a modified tower, but not sure.

you can stack one tower on another to use as a drill template, you just need to figure out how low to go.

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

This was the setup I used to run and I had no clearance problems with a body - even without trimming the front tower. Although it seems as if all bodies I was finding were too narrow for my liking.

Especially in the front...perhaps a short art car might fair better...

With that being said I decided to go with a standard buggy body...Here I trimmed the front towers so it looked better

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Nice looking roadster, but I thought that black RC10 looked familiar! http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=36701&start=30 As it turns out, I'd seen it before. Must've made an impression on me. 8)
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

matt1ptkn wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:44 am Nice looking roadster, but I thought that black RC10 looked familiar! http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=36701&start=30 As it turns out, I'd seen it before. Must've made an impression on me. 8)
Nice! I never did check on those connectors for you...sorry. But I'm confirming now I did sell them. lol

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

:lol: I forgot all about the connectors, even after I dug out the old thread. Thanks for looking though!
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Can't believe I forgot about the Slam Dunkin lowering kit: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26614&start=45#p312099

Super rare but given your talents for making aluminum parts it should be a snap for you to reproduce something similar. Maybe churn out a short run of them for others while you're at it. :wink:

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

lmw94002
Approved Member

Post by lmw94002 »

A long time ago a guy had a crazy idea and I only saw part of his prototype for the transmission class on the flat carpet oval...

He took the front part of an old 10L style pancar chassis and put it on an RC10 tub. Essentially hacked it up made a nose-plate that bolted up to the tub that had the newer 10L front end. That gave your RC10 a pan car frontend ... not really sure what he was going to do w/ the rear.
--
RC10CE 6-gear, RC10 Team, 10L, 10LSS, Worlds, B2, B4 TC, FT TC3, Nitro SC8, SC18, RC18LM, FT SC10.2, Worlds-ReRe, B6, B6D
--Builds--
SSC10 build - http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=41740