Robinson Racing 30 Degree Castor Blocks

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Basher67
Approved Member

Robinson Racing 30 Degree Castor Blocks

Post by Basher67 »

Found these in one of my parts buckets. Got them in a collection somewhere and never paid attention. Package had been opened and restapled with the card inside. Are these actually What the card says? If so, how do they work with no attachment point for the upper link? Also, the kingpins are way to big in diameter to fit an rc10 steering knuckle. This one has got me scratching my head. Since the package had been opened at one time, could it be the wrong card was stuffed in with these parts? I searched all over the internet and couldn't find any mention of Robinson Racing castor blocks. I put this in the buggy forum and not the "what is it thread" since it was listed for an RC-10.
Attachments
DSC09777.JPG

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Robinson Racing 30 Degree Castor Blocks

Post by GoMachV »

They sit at a severe angle and have special blocks and stub axles. Custom works uses a similar if not identical item. The ball stud screws into the kingpin
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I didn't notice the threaded hole in the end of the kingpin before. That makes sense. Is there an advantage to this style or is it for a special application? Does Custom Works have a compatible block and axle?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Here’s the ad (click to view it properly lol). I don’t think for off road it was a success. Dirt oval used them for a while
Attachments
DBA0D3B1-897D-4AC7-BA82-352BA477B61C.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Thanks for the info. Not sure what I'm going to do with these. I was hoping I could use them on one of my cars but without the other components, they'll be sitting around.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I may have some of the pieces (used) your lacking but I’ll have to do some digging.
Factory Works website

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

That would be great. Appreciate it. :D

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Never seen those, very cool, not as cool as Jay Halseys hair though. I'm just jealous as I never had that much hair. :D

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

They made them for Kyosho Ultima also

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I looked into this a while back. By angling the king pin off vertical as you view the car from the front, it can locate the wheel's steering axis closer to the center of the tire where it contacts the road. As I understand it, projecting the steering axis near the contact patch is common in full scale cars in order to lessen the force needed to steer the car through a corner at speed. There are probably other benefits but one of the disadvantages of an angled king pin is that it also changes the camber angle as the wheel steers left to right in a manner that may effectively decrease traction. For instance, the inside wheel in a turn will likely go into positive camber (top of wheel leans out) but the outside wheel can also go positive camber depending on the degree of caster angle at that wheel. Positive camber might be okay for the inside wheel but it's probably not what you will want for the outside wheel. You will want the top of that outside wheel to lean in (negative camber) in a turn in order to maximize traction at that wheel. I reckon if you have a very heavy car with a relatively weak steering system the benefits could outweigh the disadvantages. Also, if the car always turns left for instance, you could increase the caster angle of that right wheel to compensate for the camber changes caused by the king pin angle and prevent that wheel going positive camber. Is it true that full size oval racers run a different caster angle on the left and right wheels? Anyway, I'm certainly not an expert on any of this but it's what I've read. It's kinda interesting to think about - especially for a geek like me.
Doug

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

The idea is still used in RC dirt oval...Custom Works makes a modern version for their cars. Don't think their bits will work to replace RRP parts though.

Kyosho had a go at the idea on the Pro-X too.

Devilbrad
Approved Member

Post by Devilbrad »

Sorry to rehash an old thread. I had these back in the day on my RC10T. I would love to find another set just for fun!

Sparbolt

Post by Sparbolt »

I've been running the Ultima kit on my Rampage GP10 since it was new ...... Trying to locate a pair of axles...