If you could ask Gene Hustings...

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

WebSteve
Approved Member

Re: If you could ask Gene Hustings...

Post by WebSteve »

jwscab wrote:Steve,

I'm really curious how the 6 gear transmission came to be. There is really nothing like it that was ever designed prior to, and any time after the RC10. Curious as to the decision to put the differential inside the spur, and external to the trans case. Was it precipitated from the fact that the pan cars already used a spur/diff design?

thanks very much!!!!
I've passed this question along to Pete here. He's having a hard time answering it exactly. Roger Curtis designed it. Pete'll talk with him when he can and see if he can't get a satisfactory answer back.

Give him time.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Just the fact that you gentlemen are willing to look into my question and provide an answer is fantastic! There is no rush on the answer, I just always wondered why it was built like that, sort of the mystique of the rc10 for me years and years ago before I could afford one, and could only inspect the cars from behind the glass case!

WebSteve
Approved Member

Post by WebSteve »

This answer is from employee Pete Cooney:

It actually was very similar to the Pan Cars diff. The difference was instead of having the small opposing thrust assembly in the wheel like the Pan Car it was in the interior of the transmission housing with the outer gear attached to one set of parallel gears and the inner assembly attached to the opposite set of parallel gears, which gave the outdrives independent differential action.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

cool, thanks very much! so it's like i thought, the pan car technology migrated to the off road trans.

polarbear
Approved Member

Post by polarbear »

Hello Steve,
I would like to know if the graphite composite from D & D graphite were made to fit the Associated cars or if it was the application of already existed produts from DD. For example, the graphite box chassis for RC500, was it tailored for the RC500 or if it was a standard rectangular channel from DD?
PB

WebSteve
Approved Member

Post by WebSteve »

If I remember correctly, we designed the chassis and worked with them to create the chassis to our specs. They already had the material.

Steve H

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Steve,
Please check with Curtis or your father to see if they remember, if possible, regarding these differences:
1985 IFMAR Worlds, Jay Halseys car as he held it on the podium at the 1985 IFMAR Worlds after winning, shown below compared to the ad Associated had for it and the following reference pics.
Was Jay's car #6, not #4 during the main event?

Did Jay run silver or black front rims; or both depending on the main since they ran 3 A-Mains, with Jay winning all 3 A-Mains?!
1st Main: Jay wins with a 20 lap run in 5:14
2nd Main: Jay wins with a 20 lap run in 5:06
3rd Main: Jay wins with a 20 lap run in 5:08

Jay's car has a very narrow wing (front to back), in the one he is holding after the '85 worlds race standing in front of the banner and here he also shows black front rims, with his body signed by him. The '85 wing looks alot like the one he ran at the '84 ROAR Nat's ( see last image ).
The Ad image shows a #4 body with what looks like a different wing on it.

I just wanted to confirm the images of Jay holding his RC10 are the actual car, and then confirm that the #4 car shown in the Ad was just another of Jay's bodies and wings thrown on for the poster with the IFMAR Worlds trophy?

Just trying to get some more facts, if possible, for those of us looking to replicate the look of his 1985 IFMAR Worlds Car.
Also, could you possibly get a clearer photo of what it says in the corner of the ad (1st picture below), if you guys have access to this poster at Associated?
Thank-you.

Ad Image below:

1985 IFMAR Worlds Photo-1, we know this is a good reference:

1985 IFMAR Worlds Photo-2, this photo looks like same car but with different color front rims. Lettering on body reads "IFMAR World Champion, Del Mar, California":

Here again it looks like his rims were silver and not the black shown in the ad or actual photo of him with the car:

Here with the body off, note the front rim color once more:

One more of the 1985 Champions and their RC10's, left to right 1st Jay, 2nd Gil and 3rd Tony:

There is also this photo on the internet confusing things a bit:

And here below is just a picture of Jay Halsey's 1984 ROAR Nationals Winning RC10, with a different color scheme than we normally know Jay for:

Thank-you!

noony
Approved Member

Post by noony »

Ruffy,If I where a betting man I would bet the front rims are silver and what you are seeing in the trophy picture is the reflection of the trophy base making them look black.

Ron

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Nice! Loving this! Wasn't this photo (below) around prior to the production release of the car and/or before the '84 nats? It's been sooo long since I've seen it in color. I've always though this was a relatively early prototype... hence the Super Champ style lexan and the Kyosho shocks (look real close and they could be the old long (1/8th) red ones with gold coil overs) on all 4 wheels....so in keeping with the theme of this thread, is there a recountable story behind this photo? Thanks Ruffy!!!
Ruffy wrote:\
And here below is just a picture of Jay Halsey's 1984 ROAR Nationals Winning RC10, with a different color scheme than we normally know Jay for:

Thank-you!
edit- Yest it was one of the infamous first four! There's a similar photo of all four, all with Lexan predating the Protech design! Thanks again!
- Brian -

My Gallery

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

That last photo is of the first prototypes hand made for the 1st ever ROAR 1/10 Offroad Nationals that were held in Vineland, NJ. There were a few made... according to Gene Jay got one, Gil got one, Tony got one and Curtis got one just for that 1984 ROAR Nat's race.

WebSteve
Approved Member

Post by WebSteve »

Regarding Jay's wheel color. For sure Jay had black wheels on his car during the final A main. The pictures show this and we took pictures for the ad with the same wheels and tire setup that he won with. The other pictures were taken at different times during the event and he may have had silver front rims at times.

Regarding the wing. Because the wing was clear and the side dams were held on with white servo tape it looks different when you look at it from different angles. With Jay holding the car in front of the banner, the wing has a white background and you cannot really tell how wide the wing is. The wing is the same in all the pictures, full width.

Regarding the body in the ad. This was not the actual body he ran but a new body painted just like the one he used. The one he used was scratched up and would not look so good in the ad so a new one was painted. I’m not sure why the numbers were different. It’s possible we just didn’t have any #6’s left. Not really sure.

Curtis

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Thanks Steve for providing this information, and please say Hi and thanks to Curtis for me.
:D

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I just noticed in that last picture, Jay's front suspension parts and arms are black.

SnoopMaxx
Approved Member

Post by SnoopMaxx »

Curtis Husting graciously provided the following information.

Hi, I’m Curtis Husting,
I made all the early prototypes and am still here at AE making prototypes . Sorry this has taken a few days to answer as I am in the middle of making new prototypes as we speak.
As for training and experience, I have been working for AE since 1978. I have had some machining lessons in school but most of my training came from hands on experience working at AE with Roger Curtis and Gene Husting. They taught me everything I know. Back in the day of the RC10 we didn’t have access to CNC mills. Everything was done by hand using conventional mills and lathes. The chassis were hand bent using hammers and rubber mallets. This took many hours and days to prototype. I got pretty good at it though. My Dad still has the hand built prototype in his house. As machines progressed like the CNC machines, we would purchase them and learn as we go. So all my experience came from on the job training. As technology advanced, so did I.

Hi
What type of alloy did you use on the prototype ?
was it 6061 T6 like the production chassis ?

Did you heat the alloy before you bent the plate ?

Did you use a wood template ?

Thanks Morten
Morten Max

WebSteve
Approved Member

Post by WebSteve »

On the RC10 chassis we tested several different materials before settling on 6061 aluminum. We tested 2024 and 7075 as well. When forming the aluminum it was in zero condition. Zero condition is when the material is at its softest. After taking its shape it was then heat treated and aged to T6 condition. For prototyping we used a solid aluminum plug to form around. A wooden template would not be strong enough to bend the aluminum around.

Curtis Husting