How do i upgrade my Stealth slipper clutch

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

slow_jun
Approved Member

Re: How do i upgrade my Stealth slipper clutch

Post by slow_jun »

this i gotta have, i thought my comeback will just to do somebonding with my son, but i think this will be more than that. My wife is starting to get mad :evil: at me for spending to much time on my RC10 than her. :lol: :lol:

this hobby is getting way to expensive... hehehe buts its ok... as long as i still focus on my family and not on any other vices. :D

Since you have brought the gear ratio for RC10 and B4, i have a question ( a stupid one for some :( ) would this be an issue if for example i use the old RC10 Gear ration 2.25 (Moded to use B4 Double Slipper)with a BL system? does the handling be affected? or will still depend on the driving skill behind the wheel? i have read thru that the MIP upgrade ti 2.65 will smoothen the effect of the more powerfull BL systems that have came about during my absence.

Thanks,
“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

blown5.0
Approved Member

Post by blown5.0 »

Your handling will not be affected at all, The Mip transmission is no longer available. Rpm makes a transmission case and top shaft that changes your gear ratio to 2.65 that is still available.

bennettj325

Post by bennettj325 »

slow_jun wrote:this i gotta have, i thought my comeback will just to do somebonding with my son, but i think this will be more than that. My wife is starting to get mad :evil: at me for spending to much time on my RC10 than her. :lol: :lol:

this hobby is getting way to expensive... hehehe buts its ok... as long as i still focus on my family and not on any other vices. :D

I am not sure how I afforded it when I was 15 on a paper route money, now I am 33 with a 'real job' and cant afford it.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Rizzolo wrote: I also have an old TOP Models hybrid car (made in england) that has a stealth tranny with a double slipper clutch. As close as I can figure it is a Losi hydra drive double slipper. This clutch works great too! If I could identify the part numbers, it looks like this stuff might still be available too. The B4 upgrade seems easier, and I already have a B4, so it would be nice to be using the same parts.
Oooh i'd like to see some pictures of your hybrid car - i've got an old magazine with it highlighted in the Top Models advert.... I can remember seeing a few back in the day but they must be very rare now 8)

P.S; Brandon's 'New car to the stable' thread in the RC10 buggy section highlights the part numbers you need to convert to use the B4 slipper :wink:

DV8ion
Approved Member

Post by DV8ion »

Here's some pics and part #'s I did awhile back.
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1549
Life's short, SoCrawl

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

does anyone know which end of shaft the gear is pressed on. and how easy is it to get off. Thinking of nocking of b4 shaft and pressing on gear from rpm to get better slipper on the rpm box...anyone tried :?:

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

Soncho Ponza wrote:does anyone know which end of shaft the gear is pressed on. and how easy is it to get off. Thinking of nocking of b4 shaft and pressing on gear from rpm to get better slipper on the rpm box...anyone tried :?:
I'm also planning on doing this, press out the Gear of the MIP top shaft and put in a B4 top shaft, but i think you would need a pressing machine to pull out this feat. but i think this can be done. :D
“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

As far as I'm aware nobody here has tried that yet but its been mentioned. I'd like to know if it works myself.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

DerbyDan wrote:
Rizzolo wrote: I also have an old TOP Models hybrid car (made in england) that has a stealth tranny with a double slipper clutch. As close as I can figure it is a Losi hydra drive double slipper. This clutch works great too! If I could identify the part numbers, it looks like this stuff might still be available too. The B4 upgrade seems easier, and I already have a B4, so it would be nice to be using the same parts.
Oooh i'd like to see some pictures of your hybrid car - i've got an old magazine with it highlighted in the Top Models advert.... I can remember seeing a few back in the day but they must be very rare now 8)

P.S; Brandon's 'New car to the stable' thread in the RC10 buggy section highlights the part numbers you need to convert to use the B4 slipper :wink:
There was some fluid clutch from Schumacher around the same time as the Losi unit, and they made a topshaft that fit the Stealth.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

ericsp2 wrote:i did a search and can't find the topis.

I want to upgrade the slipper to more avaliable parts. i believe it can be a B-3 slipper

also will it work on a rc10-t with the RPM conversion? thanks
Regarding parts availability, the only things not available for the original tranny are the two slipper plates (and the case and the motor plate...). The original Rulon slipper disk is still sold, but the B3/T3 plates have replaced the old part numbers. Those two plates, and the slipper disk, are all you need to change to completely upgrade it though.

Jeep-Power
Approved Member

Post by Jeep-Power »

slow_jun wrote:this i gotta have,.... My wife is starting to get mad :evil: at me for spending to much time on my RC10 than her. :lol: :lol:

Amen brother! :lol: :mrgreen:

She just rolls her eyes anytime another package come in or when I head for the basement...

GREAT tech thread on the slipper-- thanks!

I'm finding the early slippers will NOT hold up to the power of brushless/lipos. They get hot & melt the spur gears.

Are there aluminum spur gears available for the early style transmissions?
TallPeter ~ Hopeless Gearhead
Early Goldpans 'Fun Buggy' RC10 RC10C B44.3 RC8B3.1 OIN RC12l

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I don't have much experience running brushless with a Stealth but melting spur gears sounds odd. Do you have the slipper too loose?

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Jeep-Power wrote:
Are there aluminum spur gears available for the early style transmissions?
I've seen a steel one, I think from robinson racing products but may be wrong.

Jeep-Power
Approved Member

Post by Jeep-Power »

Lowgear wrote:I don't have much experience running brushless with a Stealth but melting spur gears sounds odd. Do you have the slipper too loose?

it might have been a touch-- only in an effort to keep the front wheels on the ground. It was still pulling wheelies though... :shock: :lol:

I threw another spur on & tightened up the slipper quite a bit-- no meltdowns with three packs but it's a challenge to keep it from flipping. It now pulls wheelies at 3/4 throttle.

I've increased the 'punch control' to 60% on the Mamba Max-- I have to see what difference that makes. (It was at 20%).
TallPeter ~ Hopeless Gearhead
Early Goldpans 'Fun Buggy' RC10 RC10C B44.3 RC8B3.1 OIN RC12l

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

how do i upgrade my slipper??? i dont run a slipper 8) try something like this http://dynotech-racing.com/partDetail.php?RefNum=4005D