Doritos 2nd Degree Burn and hot sauces!

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mindwarp
Approved Member

Doritos 2nd Degree Burn and hot sauces!

Post by Mindwarp »

I just ate some Doritos 2nd Degree Burn, crazy hot. Anyone try these? My mouth is on fire :shock: They apparently make a 3rd Degree Heat as well. I don't know if I have the guts to try those :lol:

http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/doritos-2nd-degree-burn-fiery-buffalo.html

illshou
Approved Member

Re: Doritos 2nd Degree Burn

Post by illshou »

I tried the 3rd degree ones. I love hot food and I could hardly eat them...

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

I tried them all a few months ago, and the 2nd degree are probably the best. The 3rd degree are a little too hot to enjoy and eat more than a few.

Mindwarp
Approved Member

Post by Mindwarp »

Well, it took a while but the fire in my mouth is out :lol: Now I want to try the 3rd Degree...don't know why... :lol:

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I'll have to try those. Thus far Chester's Flamin' Hot fries are the hottest snack food item I've ever had.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I love spicy food, but there is a big difference between spice with flavor and spice for the sake of spice. I’ll have to check out the Dorito’s. I’m into all things cooking including hot sauce. About every other year I’ll make up about 24-36 bottles and give it away to friends and family. I’d actually thought of making an RC10talk version to sell and donate the proceeds, but like everything else time is the issue. If anyone is interested in bottling some for their own use, http://www.leeners.com (under construction right now)is the site where I get my pepper mash and bottling supplies. I just use a Word program and photo paper for the labels. Nothing fancy, but it works well.

An example of one of mine

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Mindwarp
Approved Member

Post by Mindwarp »

I agree, heat for the sake of heat isn't fun. I want some taste behind it. The 2nd Degree Doritos actually taste pretty darn good. I'd love to try making my own hot sauce too, that sounds fun and tasty! :lol:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Usually all of my sauces are on a small scale. Just a Mason jar for myself, whether it be hot sauce, BBQ, or any other type. The hottest thing I’ve ever personally tasted was Salsa Stoopid. Just painful. Nothing good about it. Someone who knew I liked spicy food got it as a gift. I think that’s the biggest market for hot sauce actually. There was a sauce called “The Element” that I believe was the hottest ever, although I think it was more of a food additive. This was pre-Jolokia though. They were definitely a game changer(kinda like the RC10). Cliché or not I still think good old original Tabasco is the best all around hot sauce. Sorry if I accidentally jacked your Doritos thread! :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Mindwarp
Approved Member

Post by Mindwarp »

Hey, no problem! This thread is now about hot sauces! :lol:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Doritos 2nd Degree Burn and hot sauces!

Post by Coelacanth »

I love hot, spicy food, but like most of you, it can't just be hot for the sake of burning your lips off. There has to be flavor or it's missing the point of being "food". :)

Jalapenos are not too hot (though you sometimes get one that has a kick), but they typically have a nicer flavor for cooking.

Habaneros are much hotter but don't really have much flavor at all. Sauces made with habaneros are almost always very hot but can taste like anything--or nothing-but-hot.

I tried some really nice, hot, flavorful peppers while travelling in South America, the Peruvian Rocoto, Aji Amarillo and Aji Limo peppers. They're said to be almost as hot as the habanero, but have a nice flavor too. Not too many people here in North America have heard about them. They make a dipping sauce for french fries with Aji Amarillo, it's yellow, looks like mustard, but doesn't taste anything like mustard (which I hate). Peruvians usually have their fries with Aji Amarillo sauce instead of ketchup. It definitely has kick. Aji Limo is usually shredded and served in a dipping bowl with lemon juice and oil/vinegar with ceviche, a fish recipe where the fish is prepared by letting it sit in an acidic juice (lime, lemon, vinegar, not exactly sure) which "cooks" the fish. It's very tasty and refreshing, served cold for lunch on a hot day is best. I don't like sushi either (I need my fish cooked) so I was quite surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

The newest, hottest peppers I've heard about were recently developed in India, one called the Bhut Jolokia, over 400 times hotter than Tabasco, but I just learned now after a bit of research that 2 more peppers have exceeded that one in hotness, the Naga Viper and Dorset Naga peppers. I've never tried any of those three. The Dorset Naga had a Scoville rating of 1,598,227 heat units. That's just insane.

There's so many things one can do to prepare a spicy dish that has plenty of kick but doesn't have to fry your tongue off or bring the water in the toilet bowl to a boil a few hours later. :mrgreen:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB, I'd love to TAKEYOURHOTSAUCE someday. :twisted:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I found a couple useful links comparing some of the hotter peppers, for interest's sake:

http://www.ehow.com/list_7463869_top-10-hottest-chili-peppers.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

Coelacanth wrote: THEYTOOKMYTHUMB, I'd love to TAKEYOURHOTSAUCE someday. :twisted:
Same here. I'd buy a bottle!

As for the Doritos 2nd/3rd degree... anyone know if those are available in Canada yet? I haven't seen them here.

Mindwarp
Approved Member

Post by Mindwarp »

tsan wrote:
Coelacanth wrote: THEYTOOKMYTHUMB, I'd love to TAKEYOURHOTSAUCE someday. :twisted:
Same here. I'd buy a bottle!

As for the Doritos 2nd/3rd degree... anyone know if those are available in Canada yet? I haven't seen them here.
Yeah, I'm in Kingston and they have them here. I've seen 1st and 2nd but haven't seen the 3rd yet.

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

Duh. I guess i should have realized they were here, seeing as you posted about them in the first place. :oops:

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

I went across the street and grabbed a bag of 1st and 2nd degree chips. (they didn't have the 3rd degree ones)
1st&2nd.jpg
I must say, they are hotter than I was expecting. Usually stuff like this that says it is hot, is pretty actually pretty tame. the 2nd degree ones are quite hot. I think I might actually ike the 1st degree chips better. Not because the 3rd degrees are too hot, I find there is too much seasoning on them. The 1st degree chips are much lighter, while still being hot enough to keep me happy.
That being said, as soon as I can find a bag of 3rd degree, I'll give them a go too.
:)