Getting the big Fairlane back on the road.... Going the whole 9 inches

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

romulus22
Approved Member

Re: Getting the big Fairlane back on the road.... Going the whole 9 inches

Post by romulus22 »

RC10th wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:46 am My rusty piece of junk made it without issue and without a temp gauge. I averaged a fantastic 11.36 MPG and burned nearly 50 gallons of fuel :lol: All in all it was a pretty fun trip.
Good stuff, still need to post a video of it so we can hear it.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Not really an update or even worth posting for that matter but it's the first time I've bought anything car related since being poor.

I bought a 100gph pump to replace the factory style pump which is only rated at about 23gph from what I've read. I also bought a nice liquid fuel pressure gauge with built in pressure relief valve. It seems finding a good reliable under hood fuel pressure gauge is a lot harder than you think. This one is made by Autometer so it should be good, and the pressure relief should make it accurate regardless of temperature.

I've been trying to paint my diff housing for the past 2 weeks so that I can assemble it but it has been too cold to paint.

I also want to get a molded carpet set for it then all that is left is engine stuff and exhaust, but I won't be able to buy carpet anytime soon. They say good things come to those who wait ? :lol: :lol:
Attachments
20180628_134220-1024x576.jpg
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

FYI, I havent had good luck with liquid filled pressure gauges in the engine compartment. At least in my experience, they are very sensitive to temperature and the reading can change a lot as a result. I chased my tail on fuel pressure drifting for a long time before someone else told me about that issus. Once I swapped in a non liquid filled filled gaige all my fule pressure "problems" went away.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

That is what I read about liquid filled gauges, every 30 degrees or so will change the reading about 1 PSI, so the hotter the gauge gets the lower the pressure reads. Thats why I'm keen to try this gauge because one, I've got nothing, and two the pressure relief valve lets you equalize the internal gauge pressure to atmosphere so you get an accurate reading no matter how hot or cold it is.

A little annoying having to pull open the valve every time you want an accurate reading but I think the accuracy is worth it. Mechanical pumps are notorious for destroying dry gauges, if you get needle flutter on a dry gauge it's not going to last long.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

realistically, if you aren't running an external fuel pressure regulator, the mechanical pump is going to put out what it needs, so other than an initial check, there really is no need for a guage there. I dislike putting extra fittings in fuel lines if it can be helped.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

jwscab wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:18 am realistically, if you aren't running an external fuel pressure regulator, the mechanical pump is going to put out what it needs, so other than an initial check, there really is no need for a guage there. I dislike putting extra fittings in fuel lines if it can be helped.
I agree except I have experienced some fueling problems and would like to keep an eye on pressure. The Holley fuel lines already have a pressure port so it's just a matter of removing the plug and threading in the gauge. I'm skeptical the old pump could keep up at 23gph. I also like the fact I can compare pump pressure between the stock pump and high volume pump, and I can check that the HV pump is 7.5lb.

Once everything is dialed in it's easy to remove the gauge and reinstall the plug to tidy up.

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

RC10th wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:09 am That is what I read about liquid filled gauges, every 30 degrees or so will change the reading about 1 PSI, so the hotter the gauge gets the lower the pressure reads. Thats why I'm keen to try this gauge because one, I've got nothing, and two the pressure relief valve lets you equalize the internal gauge pressure to atmosphere so you get an accurate reading no matter how hot or cold it is.

A little annoying having to pull open the valve every time you want an accurate reading but I think the accuracy is worth it. Mechanical pumps are notorious for destroying dry gauges, if you get needle flutter on a dry gauge it's not going to last long.
Cool, sounds like you're on it.
I'm running an electric fuel pump (Holy Red) so I don't really have any flutter in the gauge. It's been working well for ~10 years now.

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

Glad to see this being worked on.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

romulus22 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:35 pm Glad to see this being worked on.
I don't know if much work is going on :lol: :lol: the car is still 500 miles away. I really would like to be able to jump back on it but resources are severely limited. It hasn't been forgotten, so close yet so far....

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

RC10th wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:54 pm [quote=romulus22 post_id=490435 time=<a href="tel:1530228940">1530228940</a> user_id=4030]
Glad to see this being worked on.
I don't know if much work is going on :lol: :lol: the car is still 500 miles away. I really would like to be able to jump back on it but resources are severely limited. It hasn't been forgotten, so close yet so far....
[/quote] Welllll you know what I meant. But still can't wait to see some pictures of this car on the road. You've put some time in it and it's come a long way

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I've been trying to paint the 9" axle housing for weeks now so I can assemble it but nothing is going to plan with the weather and time etc..... My friend is also going to bend up a new 3/8" fuel line from the pump to carb but I keep forgetting to buy the fittings :roll:

Here are the last pictures taken of my rust bucket before being put into hibernation.

20180724_232925.jpg

20180724_233040.jpg

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Well, it has only been about 2 years but something is better than nothing I guess.....

It's pretty much ready to be assembled now, I wanted a detroit locker or true track and 31 spline axles but that would have added another 2k to the price. The Ford LSD is still good and for the street this will be plenty beefy. Hopefully it will also take about 7/10's off quarter going from 2.9's to 3.5's
Attachments
20180804_220239-1024x576.jpg

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Not much to report except I finally got my grandpa starter kit.

I luckily happened to find a half reasonable set of hub caps cheap. They need a little bit of work but are in pretty good condition over all. The mud flaps on the other hand are quite hard to find or way too expensive when you do find them, so I just cleaned up what I had as best I could. Still need to find a front pair.....

I also splurged out and bought a new carpet set for it which should be here later in the week. For some reason when I swapped the carpet out from my other Fairlane it ended up being just short of the sill which has always bugged me.

Can't wait to get started on this again.
Attachments
20181129_222216-1024x576.jpg

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

It’s your summertime. Time to get out there and get this sucker finished :lol:

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Yeah, I'm pretty excited to continue on with this project, much to the disgust of my wife. The big move really put a halt on everything and now that things are starting to return to some form of normal I can see this happening again. I don't have as much time or money as I did before but at least I'll be able to carry on with some regularity.

My first "big" purchase is going to be a car hoist, I'm tired of climbing under cars, lol.

I basically just need to check that the pinion yoke is the correct one then I can start assembling the 9 inch. Assembly shouldn't take too long, and the only parts I don't have are the axle hard lines and uni u-bolts.

I will be pulling out the lpg (propane) system which will save a fair bit of weight, allow me to put the trunk springs back in, and also mount the amps and subwoofer under the parcel shelf, it's a win win.

Down the track depending on how the car performs I would like to upgrade to a larger roller cam. I'd be happy with low 12's, not super quick but quick enough on a pizza delivery boys income :lol: :lol: