Hobby Shops in Paris, France

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ROH73
Approved Member

Hobby Shops in Paris, France

Post by ROH73 »

I have a trip to Paris coming up this Fall and I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the best RC hobby shops in the city. Google lists numerous shops, but I'd love know any member preferences. Thanks in advance!

cyberfox
Approved Member

Re: Hobby Shops in Paris, France

Post by cyberfox »

Hi,

The only big one I know is euromodel: http://www.euromodel-online.eu/ near the "gare de Lyon" train station.
But you still probably can find others good little shops.

but you know, in France and particularly Paris, politics make everything to ban one scale cars. For example, now cars before 1997 are forbidden in Paris (2020 every car before 2001 will be forbidden!!), parking was free in august, now it's paying, etc...
It begins to have repercussion on others car activities, many rc clubs disappear, many shops close their doors, also because of prices more expensive than online (french importers are greedy!) :|

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

Great; thank you!! Looks like a nice place. I will check it out.

That's a shame about the politics and automotive rule changes, etc. Government the world over loves to make more rules. Why the pre-1997 ban; air quality standards?

This will be my first trip to Paris (and France), so I'm excited to see some new things :D .

cyberfox
Approved Member

Post by cyberfox »

I don't know why 1997, euro 2 norm is from july 1996, maybe it's the reference used :?:
Air quality is the pretext used for it, but probably not the real motivation...

How long you gonna be in Paris ?

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

I'll be there for four days and then four days in Heidelberg, Germany. It's a business trip, but I've added some extra time for sight-seeing. :D

cyberfox
Approved Member

Post by cyberfox »

ok, enjoy it 8)

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

Thanks!!

tamiya
Approved Member

Post by tamiya »

Merde! Pre1997... jeez that'll preclude every Mobylette in my fleet including the 50V! :cry:

comme des fous... :roll:

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

tamiya wrote:Merde! Pre1997... jeez that'll preclude every Mobylette in my fleet including the 50V! :cry:

comme des fous... :roll:
Ahahahahaha...no. For some reason these kind of bans always apply to cars and trucks, never to 2-wheelers such as scooters and light motorcycles, even if those are some of the most polluting vehicles on European roads (and more often than not illegally modified to go 2-3 times as fast and as is legal). :roll:

When I still went to uni, the building I most spent my time in was right next to a road often used for scooter driving lessons and exams, so you'd see them go past in slo-mo at 25-40 km/hour max :o . The same people, once they had their little paper, would later come blasting past, disregarding all rules they just 'learned'. :x

tamiya
Approved Member

Post by tamiya »

haha good to know!

Thought one didn't need a bike licence to ride a moped in France if one already had a car licence?

Regardless, I grew up with a bunch of Mobylettes in the shed dating back to 1950/60/70s ... but they're in Asia not France!! Don't think I've ever seen our 50V's speedo go over 30 or even 25 on WOT... hang on, that's probably km/h not mph :oops:

But 2CVs aren't allowed to drive thru Ole Paree anymore huh?

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Last time I was in Paris, I rode the Metro everywhere. Easiest way to get around and not have to worry about driving.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

RichieRich wrote:Last time I was in Paris, I rode the Metro everywhere. Easiest way to get around and not have to worry about driving.
as long as you don't live in the suburbs and work downtown... which isn't the case of most folks... hence the public outcry at the progressive car-ban in Paris intra-muros...

I do agree that as a tourist in the main areas, using anything else than the subway is insane :)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

tamiya
Approved Member

Post by tamiya »

Meh... closet Francophile here, always had dream that if ever I managed to land my touristy lardass in France I'd wanna go drive thru the capital's roundabouts :lol: in something like a 2CV, Light15 or DS :oops: some might say it's suicidal but hey I've driven in Asia, it can't be anywhere worse, eh?

Is the ban just for French plated cars? Or age limit applies also on drive-ins from nearby countries.

Plus it'll be kinda confusing for laymen gendarmerie to carbondate say a Morgan from UK, most ppl can't tell if ones been built last century or last week!

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

RichieRich wrote:Last time I was in Paris, I rode the Metro everywhere. Easiest way to get around and not have to worry about driving.
Absolutely! I just got back to the USA yesterday. Paris was fantastic, but I ran out of time and didn't get to the hobby shop. I did go to a Star Wars themed creperie, however :D .

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

tamiya wrote:Meh... closet Francophile here, always had dream that if ever I managed to land my touristy lardass in France I'd wanna go drive thru the capital's roundabouts :lol: in something like a 2CV, Light15 or DS :oops: some might say it's suicidal but hey I've driven in Asia, it can't be anywhere worse, eh?

Is the ban just for French plated cars? Or age limit applies also on drive-ins from nearby countries.

Plus it'll be kinda confusing for laymen gendarmerie to carbondate say a Morgan from UK, most ppl can't tell if ones been built last century or last week!
Probably only cars owned by residents of the area, as it is in the Netherlands. What is incredibly irritating about such bans is that they are blanket bans, completely ignoring that some older cars use less fuel than many modern ones because they are lighter, and also hitting liquid propane gas-converted vehicles and the like. I also don't understand why there doesn't seem to be a market for kits replacing the old cars' exhaust system with something cleaner...