How deep is vintage RC collector market?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RCveteran
Approved Member

How deep is vintage RC collector market?

Post by RCveteran »

Just a conversation. Hobbies like fine art, coins, stamps, comic books, antique cars, antique cameras, porcelain signs and on and on have pretty well defined collector markets. This also helps to create stable values and some predictability with inevitable up and down cycles. IE, if i have this coin in this condition an expert can tell you what it is worth.

I often wonder if it is 100 of us trading the same stuff back and forth, or are there 1000's of people around the world looking at the same auctions I am. Will there be a period in time due to current demographics or social factors otherwise where no one cares about this stuff.

No right answer but what say you all?

jwscab

Re: How deep is vintage RC collector market?

Post by jwscab »

I think the demographic is much larger than 100's for sure. But I bet a bunch of stuff does go around from hand to hand in smaller circles. I would say the demographic is in the low-mid 1000's probably worldwide. I also think it is heavily in the 35-65 age range at this point for the 'bulk' of guys. certainly many guys on either side of that age range though. So that means that we might see a falloff in a few years, as I think we are seeing it falling now, not drastically, but a bit. In other words, I think the peak is over for the second resurgence.

It would be interesting to see sales numbers from the manufacturers to see how the new kits vs re-releases vs the industry as a whole does.

just based on some experience in molded parts, when you have say a caster block pair for sale for like 4 bucks, you are making the part for less than 50 cents, but you definitely need to produce these parts in the 10's of thousands to recoup your tooling charges.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

jwscab wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:22 pm just based on some experience in molded parts, when you have say a caster block pair for sale for like 4 bucks, you are making the part for less than 50 cents, but you definitely need to produce these parts in the 10's of thousands to recoup your tooling charges.
For the pieces I have (steering bellcranks, transmission cases, wheels...) the biggest cost after the $12-15k mold is “setup”. For around $850 they will go out to the boneyard and locate my molds, and mount them in the machine. From that point, as long as I don’t change color or molds then the pieces are literally a few cents a piece. When it’s time to change colors, it’s another couple hundred bucks. Then to change out the mold again, another several hundred. Something that manufacturers that own their own machines and molds wouldn’t have to worry about. That’s why I’m very confused with Kyosho and their crowdfunding for the Turbo wheels.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

mytimac
Business Member

Post by mytimac »

It is pretty shallow in spots depending on the brand. Tamiya is by far the biggest market.
http://oldrc.com - Find parts for older Losi, Associated, Tamiya and others.
http://vintagelosi.com - Manuals and information on older Team Losi models

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

How would you rank them in order? Say top 5 for collectors?

I'll take a guess ,

1) Tamiya
2) Associated
3) Kyosho
4) Losi
5) Other

sandkil
Approved Member

Post by sandkil »

RCveteran wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:44 pm How would you rank them in order? Say top 5 for collectors?

I'll take a guess ,

1) Tamiya
2) Associated
3) Kyosho
4) Losi
5) Other
Interesting as here in Scandinavia (maybe even Europe) you would probably have to switch places on Asso and Kyosho.

works92
Approved Member

Post by works92 »

sandkil wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:34 am
RCveteran wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:44 pm How would you rank them in order? Say top 5 for collectors?

I'll take a guess ,

1) Tamiya
2) Associated
3) Kyosho
4) Losi
5) Other
Interesting as here in Scandinavia (maybe even Europe) you would probably have to switch places on Asso and Kyosho.
I confirm, it's the same in France, you can also add Schumacher at the list (don't know exactly where)

green510
Approved Member

Post by green510 »

My thoughts are that certain age groups is the factor regarding collections.

Years ago i was into collecting bmx bikes as ive riden one a good chunk of my life.
Those cool bikes i couldnt afford back then, well now i could!

I remember looking at hutch, early mongoose and redline plus a few other big branded bikes from the 80s and thinking "wow who would pay that much for a old bmx"

After i had sold almost everything I had, i went back onto the forums years later and noticed that most of the older crowd had dissapeared and the bikes have dropped value.

Now the next generation of "adults " are getting interested in 90s bmx,
They have more money now and are looking for their old ride.
The bikes i had have gone up in value now, but considering the original purchase price back then, still not really making a profit haha.

As for popular brands, from what i remember it was either you were a associated guy or a losi guy
Dan.
Team B3, OG Worlds car, B5m.
Plus some other junk :D

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Yes it's very much an age thing that defines in general who is here, the question is how many of us are there around the world interested in the "golden age" of RC.

jkelm24
Approved Member

Post by jkelm24 »

I think the list of most popular brands will differ from one region to the next. Some brands didn't have good distribution in some parts of the world, so those brands won't have much nostalgic value in those regions. Try finding a Schumacher Cougar on any given day of the week in the states (personal rant avoided).

I'd look to other vintage 'toy' markets to get a sense of the future for RC.

I've been into classic British cars since I can remember (a passion inherited from my Dad). I've always loved MGs, Triumphs, Morris Minors, Austins, etc. Nearly all marques in those brands have had their values continually rise for the past 30 years that I've been involved with them, even though the guys that saw them sold as new are now all retired or deceased.

But the difference is that cars hold utilitarian value in addition to nostalgic value. While in the end, our RCs are just models and toys and don't hold utilitarian value. So, I think the value of our toys is largely nostalgic.

But, there will always be collectors out there. Toy trains from the 50's still hold a healthy market. *shrug*

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Fun topic to discuss, but impossible question to answer. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Are vintage RC cars an investment ? No , are they a popular item based on the mid life age group of the people who loved them as kids ? Yes I think they are , will the remain a popular collectable item ? With ebbs and flows yes they will.
To continue the full size car analogy here in the UK , nearly all the MG BGT's have either been restored or have met their end so the price is high as there are fewer and fewer to be found that require a little TLC for a cheap price , the price will vary now but the trend will be upward .
When I was looking at finding my childhood dream RC car a Yokomo YZ-834b Dogfighter just two years ago there was a good level of spare parts to be found and a complete car was £300 ish , now the spares are scarce and a complete car is £350 to £400 + , it's a similar thing , either cars are lost to rubbish tips or restored with little between .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

jkelm24 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:05 pm

But the difference is that cars hold utilitarian value in addition to nostalgic value. While in the end, our RCs are just models and toys and don't hold utilitarian value. So, I think the value of our toys is largely nostalgic.

Agree but most collector full size cars hold little utilitarian or practical use when compared to modern cars either, the value is also nostalgic just at a higher price point. I am a car guy too and frankly the best car I ever drove was my 94 Miata, so all my Corvettes, Mustangs, Crx's, MG's, VW's and who knows what else went through the garage were simply there for some emotional response at the time not a practical one. I eed a full size RC10 to be certain though :D

Agree with others, there is no correct response here, just a nice discussion hopefully.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

“...Something that manufacturers that own their own machines and molds wouldn’t have to worry about. That’s why I’m very confused with Kyosho and their crowdfunding for the Turbo wheels." - GoMachV

This is interesting. Do manufacturers like TT (AE), Kyosho, Tamiya, etc. actually own their molding equipment or do they outsource parts? I would have guessed that they typically design, develop, market and perhaps warehouse and distribute products but they don’t actually manufacture any of their parts. Molding equipment, cnc’s, screw machines, etc. can be high capital investments so why would they not let someone else bare those costs? Ningbo province in China, for instance, is full of parts manufacturers keen to make virtually any part they could require and since they supply to many customers, their fixed costs are widely distributed, and this helps them control piece prices. I just assumed that small, niche market companies like those listed above with their low sales volumes and highly volatile product lines would outsource their parts. I freely admit that I could be completely wrong about all of this; I’m here to learn. I have to say that this whole topic regarding the collector market is a fascinating one.
Doug

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

There is another not so nice but true reason why we have had a surge in vintage cars on the market , people's parents are dieing and their loft contents are emerging , the long stored toys of their children are seeing the light of day for the first time in 30 to 40 or more years , this process will keep recycling vintage toys , it also coincides with those children reaching middle age and having more disposable income to spend on their childhood dreams .
This is an ongoing system , for me my RC days ended at around 1987 so my dreams are of those cars up to and around that vintage , for the slightly younger of us then their dreams are of cars from the late 1980's to early 1990's and those cars are now becoming more common on eBay as the next generation of parents die , it's not nice to think about but it's true and it will continue up to the point where no middle aged people were once hooked on RC cars in their teens .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.