Tomorrow I Race Again

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.
Basher67
Approved Member

Re: Tomorrow I Race Again

Post by Basher67 »

I'll post some pics in the next couple days. I'm still waiting for the exotec top shaft and brass electronics plate to arrive from A-Main. Today, I'm off to the race. Probably be the last time I race my truck for now. The rest of the buggy parts should arrive in the next couple days. If everything goes right this week, I'll have the B6 finished and start practicing with it, and then run my first race with it next Sunday. The truck will end up being set up to run mod truck or I might set it back up for dirt track in the summer.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Well, I won the novice class again for a 1st place podium. Looks like it's on to stock buggy class for me. Hopefully the rest of my parts will arrive in time for me to finish the B6 and get some practice time before next Sunday's race. The B6 should be a real step up from my FT T4.2. I can't wait to take it for a spin. :mrgreen:

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Congrats for the good results :)

For my info - what is the "stock" class at your track?

(please tell me it isn't 17.5 blinky...)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Yes, 17.5 blinky along with the rest of the roar regulations for weight, etc

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Basher67 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:24 am Yes, 17.5 blinky along with the rest of the roar regulations for weight, etc
then it is what it is :) What's the next step on the ladder, is it "open" (mod)?

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

There is a mod buggy class, but not enough guys run in it to be a regular race every sunday. Stock buggy is so fast these days,it's crazy. Stock buggy has a huge following and is the most popular by far around here. To give an example, the fastest mod truck, in the hands of one of the fastest drivers here runs around 19 seconds on a good fast lap. The top stock buggy drivers here run into the high 17's during qualifying and low 18's during the main. I will be upgrading the esc and motor to prepare my truck for the mod truck class in the coming months.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Basher67 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:49 am There is a mod buggy class, but not enough guys run in it to be a regular race every sunday. Stock buggy is so fast these days,it's crazy. Stock buggy has a huge following and is the most popular by far around here. To give an example, the fastest mod truck, in the hands of one of the fastest drivers here runs around 19 seconds on a good fast lap. The top stock buggy drivers here run into the high 17's during qualifying and low 18's during the main. I will be upgrading the esc and motor to prepare my truck for the mod truck class in the coming months.
I know 17.5 blinky is the most popular class... and that's what pains me. When the fast cars can squeez a 1000th more speed out of removing the slipper, I think there's something wrong and it reminds me of the worst times of 27deg stock racing last millenium... But people seem to love it, and it creates more business, so so be it :)

Enjoy - that's what matters most!

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

It used to be very expensive to be competitive in stock buggy, but these days, the cars are so fast out of the box, it's more a competition of driving skills. I only spent about a hundred bucks on upgrades to my B6 and It would be considered "well optioned".

Ucsdmutt
Approved Member

Post by Ucsdmutt »

Glad to see another hobbyist getting back into racing, I too am in that boat! Your B6 is looking fast! Love reading your posts on the races, almost like aply by play.

Timmahhh
Approved Member

Post by Timmahhh »

Basher67 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:19 am It used to be very expensive to be competitive in stock buggy, but these days, the cars are so fast out of the box, it's more a competition of driving skills. I only spent about a hundred bucks on upgrades to my B6 and It would be considered "well optioned".
Cars are faster out of the box, but I also feel like there are a lot more modifications that someone along the way will tell you that you "need".

Back in the worlds car days, some Lunsford turnbuckles and MIP CVDs were all that people really seemed to need... Then with the B4, it was turnbuckles, aluminum bulkhead, aluminum rear brace, aluminum bellcranks, and eventually big bore springs or shocks... Now you have bulkheads, blocks, longer driveshafts, mip pucks, cut gears, even more titanium, different waterfalls and battery braces, 2 different kinds of arms and transmissions, etc.

Now, after running a b6, I dont think many of those things are really necessary, but it also seems like there are a lot of people who will claim they are.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

The B6, as built from the kit, is too light to be ROAR legal for stock buggy. Differences in weight between electrics aside, They are usually around 50 grams too light to be legal. Thats where the individual racer needs to determine how much weight to add and where. Many racers swap out the front plastic bulkhead for a heavy brass one. I opted for a brass plate below the electrics at 53 grams. This places the added weight as low as possible and neutrally balanced as possible. This is all to say, that there is additional parts to buy for the B6 to be able to run in stock class, but I agree with you---there will always be guys who try to convince you that you need every latest bolt-on to be competitive. I've always found that no hop-up in the world can match track time. Hours upon hours of practice is what puts you on the podium.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Here's the pics of the new buggy. B6 team kit with schumacher yellow compound tires, savox 1258 tg servo, hobbywing justock 60a esc that I modded with a 4 cap, reedy mach 3 17.5 motor, vrp motor plate with spur guard, and a mylaps transponder. Exotec provided the slipper eliminator top shaft, hub, pinion, spur, and battery strap. I had a revolution designs 53 gram brass plate under the electrics in this photo, but after weigh in and some practice laps, I cut it down about 20 grams and placed it under the front servo. Can't wait to enter this in the stock buggy class on sunday. :mrgreen:
Attachments
DSC01409.JPG
DSC01408.JPG

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

why are you "local" to me and yet your not running my towers :shock: Sending PM now... :lol:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I haven't got that far yet. :lol: It's on the list of upgrades. I just ran the car for the first time yesterday. It felt real good, but I'm already making a couple changes to the setup. Mostly in weight transfer. I was just telling a guy about you at practice yesterday. He wanted to upgrade his old six gear to a stealth. I told him to look you up and drop a belt drive into it. :mrgreen:

Timmahhh
Approved Member

Post by Timmahhh »

Looks good! I like that battery hold down. I feel so illiterate when it comes to B6 setup, with my first race with mine being last week too, but thankfully other than figuring out how to break in clay tires, the car worked great as it was. I know its the same concepts, but it all feel so much less familiar.