Tomorrow I Race Again

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Basher67
Approved Member

Re: Tomorrow I Race Again

Post by Basher67 »

I think durability is better than the b4 platform. In both design, and materials used. My T 4.2 had some really crappy parts, specifically the ball cups. I don't want to lead anyone into thinking that the b6 is not a good buggy. It's fantastic. It immediately made me faster with less effort. Sometimes you have to trade a little durability to be light and fast.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I got the buggy back together for Sunday's race and right on time, I got a package in the mail from our buddy at Factory Works. These shock towers are fantastic. Not only are they obviously stronger than the AE ones, especially on the front with the load spreading washers, but they drastically simplify changes to your car for different tracks and conditions. The rear tower screws are a pain to get to. By using these shock towers, you don't have to change out towers to switch from gullwing arms to flat ones. I'm hoping to run on a few different tracks this year and they range from turf to clay to dirt. This will make changes to my car a lot easier. Also they look badass! As a bonus, the factory works stickers look great with my paint scheme. 8)
Attachments
DSC01435.JPG
DSC01436.JPG
DSC01437.JPG

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I'm overdue for an update. Since starting to race in stock buggy class, I've been practicing and racing 2-3 times a week. Getting faster all the time, but no podium yet. We have had strong turnouts for a small local club with stock buggy entries of 12-17 cars. My last two races I had a fifth and a fourth place finish. Minor changes to my cars setup and tire selection have got the car dialed nicely. Yesterday during practice, I came off the hip-jump wrong and nose dived from about 5 ft up straight into a concrete brick. I came down hard right into the front shock tower. As you can see from the pick, it barely scuffed the edge of the tower. This is a strong testament to the strength of the factory works towers. I will be attempting to enter two classes this sunday, as my truck is ready to rock for the mod truck class. I don't know if I will be able to manage running a mod truck and a stock buggy on the same day. Should be fun to try it though. The truck has been upgraded to a Trinity D4 8.5t motor powered by a Hobbywing V3.1. During testing yesterday, I started out with 12 degrees initial can timing with 20 degrees boost, followed by 10 degrees turbo. Even with the initial punch turned way down, it was violently powerful. With the boost and turbo turned off, I could start half way up the face of any jump from a standstill and seriously overshoot the jump with the blip of the throttle. I need to dial it down to be usable in a race, but it should be a blast to drive! I picked up the jconcepts illuzion body for the b6 and it is very sexy. As soon as I get some paint on it, I'll post some picks
Attachments
DSC01625.JPG
DSC01626.JPG
DSC01627.JPG

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Placed 5th out of 9 in the a-main. No podium yet, but my lap times have dropped by over a full second since last week. I didn't run the truck. I showed up early to get some practice with it, but it was still wildly out of control. I stayed a couple hours after the race to get it dialed in and should be ready to enter it in the open mod truck class next weekend. The new motor/esc is way overpowered and it took some dialing down to get it to a usable level. The truck class here is a horsepower war with a mix of modified short course and stadium trucks. Really fun class that I have been looking forward to entering. I'm in the middle of painting the new B6 body and will have pics posted soon. PBR hobbies started recording all the races a few weeks ago. Here's the link to check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfasp1F32VcxCrSLO42znhQ

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Here's the new body on my B6. It is the JConcepts Illuzion. Much sleeker design and not so "cab forward"
Attachments
DSC01631.JPG
DSC01630.JPG

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

I like the lines of that body and the paint looks great. If I can ever get into a B6, I'll need to remember to get that body. 8)
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

radioactivity
Approved Member

Post by radioactivity »

The cab forward design never really appealed to me. And I've tried some fairly ugly bodies in the past.
I had, what I think I remember, was called an "Alien" on my RC10 for a while, (edit) and I found it.
I really like your Jocncepts body however, looks great.
The paint also looks very nice, good job.

Chuck
Attachments
DSC01486.JPG
Hydrodip how to https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=42727
When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail :wink:

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Thanks guys. Appreciate the praise. The yellow in the pics looks too yellow. It's actually fluorescent yellow. It's an exact match to the AE fluorescent yellow wheels. I switch between white and yellow wheels. I think I had an idea that my practice tires would not be mixed up with a fresh set of race tires in the heat of the moment in the pits. The reality is now I just have a big pile of wheels and tires---some yellow and some white, so I try to do color schemes that look good with either color wheel.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I'm overdue for an update. I've been practicing and racing nonstop. Last weekend, I finally battled my way to 3rd in the A main for a podium finish. This coming Saturday is our track's first big race of the year. Painted up a fresh body for the big race. My favorite race colors look right at home on the illuzion body. 8)
Attachments
DSC02565.JPG
DSC02566.JPG

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Holy smokes, that looks fantastic. You've really got this painting thing down.
Generally speaking, I really don't care for modern RC buggies but this one looks great. I reckon they had old curmudgeons like me in mind when they designed that body.
Can't recall if you've mentioned this before but are able to post video from your track?
Doug

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

PERFECT!! Thank you so much.
MAN, that looks like a lot of fun! I wish we had something like that here.
At least there used to be an indoor dirt track someplace south of Birmingham (cant recall the name) but I don't know of they are still operating. I feel like I live in an RC dead zone. You're fortunate to have a nice racing facility in your area.
Doug

NWarty
Approved Member

Post by NWarty »

radioactivity wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:30 pm I had, what I think I remember, was called an "Alien" on my RC10 for a while, (edit) and I found it.
I really like your Jocncepts body however, looks great.
The paint also looks very nice, good job.

Chuck
Actually a Parma Eagle Chuck

Agreed on the new body and paint, looks great Basher!
A bit different

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

WoooHooo! What a weekend! The 2018 Spring Turf Classic was a blast! 12 hours of practice Friday on the new track, which was a slightly smaller version of the 2015 Worlds turf track, and five sets of tires later, and I ended up taking second place in stock 2wd buggy for a podium finish and a nice engraved beer mug trophy! 8)

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Nice! Congrats!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website