Tomorrow I Race Again

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: Tomorrow I Race Again

Post by XLR8 »

Thanks. I've read nothing but good things about Gens ACE lipos.
Doug

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Did better in the race today. I moved up a spot in every heat. Started the main in third position. Half way through the first lap it became obvious that my slipper nut had backed off. I couldn't even clear the table top. I just stayed on the throttle and tried to carry as much speed as I could, while listening to the high pitch whine of my slipper melting itself. The two leaders had a good pile up and I moved in to pass but with no power getting to the ground, it was a futile attempt. I rode out the race like that---smooth and slow. Finished third, but I could almost taste a win before the slipper nut backed off. Lesson learned this week-----don't reuse old nylock nuts, it will bite you in the butt when it counts. I will return to the track next week for more. :mrgreen: I had my daughter take a bunch of action pics, but the shutter speed of my camera sucks so they all look blurry. Next week, I'm going to take my gopro to try to get some footage.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Got the new body painted today. Stayed with the same type graphics, but changed up the colors a little. The orange was done by laying down a coat of white pearl, followed by fluorescent orange and then backed with a silver metallic. 8)
Attachments
DSC00630.JPG
DSC00629.JPG

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I agree with Dan. That's just too nice to run. Anyway, it looks fantastic.
Doug

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

:lol: Thanks. It's going to be thrashed in a month, no doubt. I've got this type of paint job down to where it's easy to replicate. I just pick the colors I want to use. This color combo happened because my daughter made a comment to me about there being too many blue cars and trucks at the track. It got me thinking that a really bright car might be a distraction for other drivers. 8) I thought about doing all neon colors, but decided on trying this instead. The gunmetal shading on the orange side of the white line was a mistake. With the "gold effect" of the white pearl it looks sort of brownish and not dark enough. I should have used black for this like I usually do or none at all. The blue would have looked a little better if I had used metallic blue instead of solid blue. Overall, I like the results, but there's room for improvement. :mrgreen:

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Heading to the track today for another day of racing. I have been really enjoying racing again. Practice night, the tuning, experimenting with different tires and setups-----it's a world I had almost forgot about. Over the last few years, as i got more and more back into the hobby, I have been restoring the cars I remember from my youth and most of them end up as shelf queens. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy building, restoring and modifying the vintage cars, but being at the races has reminded me of why I was so into RC cars bitd. The amount of info gained from talking to other drivers and getting that first hand experience on the track cannot be had any other way. I recommend to all, if possible, find a track close to you and get out there. For those of you who will state physical ailments or lack of a modern race vehicle or whatever, consider this---- One of the fastest guys at my track is an older gentleman---much older than myself, who has to get around in a walker and does not have the easiest time getting up onto the drivers stand. His truck is a Traxxas Rustler. It is pretty modified, but a traxxas rustler none the less. This guy is fast, consistent and smooth. He sets the pace as the TQ on a regular basis. He's driving in the open truck class which is a mod class for stadium and short course trucks. His opponents all drive the lastest versions of hopped up trucks from losi and associated. Watching him put down laps on the track is both eye opening and humbling. Especially with the announcer making cracks the whole race about how no one can catch the traxxas rustler. :lol:

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I haven't done an update in a while and thought I'd let you guys know how it's going. Last Sunday there was no racing since it was christmas eve. Sunday before that, I was only one of two drivers that made it to the main. Everyone broke that day including me. I ran the third heat and the main with a glued together steering bellcrank. I can't believe it held together but it is now in my box as an emergency backup. :lol: I ended up taking second, which was also last, since only two of us survived the day. :roll: There was a moment during the main that we were both driving decent and I was laying down just slightly faster laps and I reeled him in and passed for 1st place. I was so excited that my hands were shaking. I ended up crashing soon after and never recovered position. Nothing could wipe the smile off my face for a half hour. I couldn't remember the last time I had so much fun and got so worked up in the spirit of competition. It was great. Today I made it back over to the track for some practice for the first time since I switched the rear tires I'm using. While I was there I upgraded my servo to a Savox. It has about 50% more torque and is almost twice as fast as the Hitec servo I've been using. I couldn't believe what a difference it made! Not only did I beat my best lap time by a full second, but I was doing it consistently over and over. My final lap for the night was right at 2 seconds faster than any previous. The truck was amazing to drive and really feels dialed in like never before. The only thing that sucks is the extremely low ride height of trucks and buggys set up for turf, makes them very unforgiving on the jumps. It does, however, make them wicked fast in the turns. I can't wait until Sunday to race again. :mrgreen:

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

Love the paint job, reminds me of my ShortCourse days...Love the DE brace, use it on my son's B4
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Thanks. The way I drive you will see a newly painted body on here about once a month. :lol: I'm very happy with the DE brace. I would consider it mandatory for racing any of the b4/t4 chassis.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Sunday I set the TQ time in the first heat, broke a turnbuckle in the second heat warm up, Moved my way through the pack to second place in the third heat, went straight to the A Main and placed second. A couple mistakes early in the main cost me the first place win. There is really only one guy who is competition for me any more in novice and he's driving a B6. I will be buying a B6 soon and start competing in stock buggy class. Stock buggy class drivers are currently doing around 20-21 second lap times and I'm getting 22 second lap times in my t4.2 with a rtr esc and a $19 ebay motor. 8) I just picked up a mylaps transponder and swapped out my ball diff for a gear diff. today. Thursday night I'll get some testing and tuning done and hopefully dominate my class on Sunday. It's safe to say I'm fully hooked on racing again. :lol:

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

It finally happened yesterday. All my hours practicing are paying off. 1st place! I set the TQ in heat 1, beat my own TQ in heat 2, held position in heat 3 and took the win in the A Main with ease. In every heat and the main, I finished at least a lap ahead of the rest of the pack. The rest of the local racers are encouraging me to join them in stock buggy class. I have an esc on the way to install in my newly built B6, but I still have to make a decision on the motor. Looking at the Reedy and the R1. After I get the motor and all my electrics installed, I will have to add some weighted plates to get the buggy up to legal weight and then I'm off and running. I'm in a position now that I have to get the buggy ready because they are not going to let me continue to stay in novice much longer. I will keep you guys posted on the transition from driving a rear motor truck modified for turf, to the modern purpose built B6.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Way to go! Congrats for winning the A. :mrgreen:
Doug

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Thanks! I really learned how important it is to have a good position in the main. The other guy in my class that is about my speed was in second. I took off quick at the buzzer and cut him off on the inside of turn 1 and he flinched and hit the barrier. After that there was a big pile up and I gained nearly half a lap on everyone. I actually slowed down a little and maintained a smooth pace and finished over a lap ahead with ease. If I had started further back in the pack, I don't think it would have been so easy. I had a grin from ear to ear. :mrgreen: My goal this week is to shave another second off my lap times. My best time on the current track configuration is 21.5 seconds. I'm trying to get under 20. The fast guys in open truck class are around 19 seconds. If I can get my rear motor truck to do sub 20 second laps with the AE rtr esc and the $19 ebay cheapy motor that I'm currently running, I will be very happy. I would like to get good enough to compete at some of the organized race events this year, but we'll see how it goes. There are quite a few between Chico, Ca and Portland ,Or and I live right in the middle so there's quite a few events throughout the year that are 4 hrs away or less. I have been talking with other drivers and the track owners about doing a vintage race event this summer. I'm hoping I can stir up enough interest to make it happen.